

Then we went on to Rockefeller Center to meet up with my cousin Michael and his wife Rachel who took the train in from Philadelphia to have dinner with us. I had never met Rachel, and Scott had never met either of them. It was so fun getting to know them better. We ate at TGI Fridays and then continued on to Starbucks. We didn't want them to leave, and I don't think they wanted to leave either! We just had such a wonderful night!

Then it was on to the Museum of Natural History. We had a great time looking at all the dinosaur displays, the space section and all the different cultures.

On our way out of the museum though, we received a phone call from Scott's mom with the sad news that Scott's grandpa had suffered a brain aneurysm and had passed away that morning. It was definitely a hard night, with many phone calls made, flights changed to make it to Arkansas in time for the funeral and then flights switched back when after much thought and prayer Scott knew that his fun loving grandpa would want us to stay and enjoy the rest of our trip. It was not easy being so far away from all of his grieving family and feeling very sad and alone. But Scott shared memories, and I shared the few memories I had with him and we found joy knowing that he was now with his Lord and without pain.
On Tuesday we took the Circle Line boat out past the Statue of Liberty and on to Ellis Island.
The history fan in me was just overwhelmed. So many stories and testimonies and junk galore! As a die hard collector of junk (aka basically anything old and cool like trunks, doors, windows....etc) I wanted to take everything home!
After watching the gorgeous sunset fall behind the Statue of Liberty we tooking a stroll through Battery Park and came across the Sphere.
It used to be an art piece in front of the World Trade Center. As you can see, it too suffered damage. It was moved to Battery Park with an eternal flame lit on the 1 year anniversary of September 11 attacks. We then made our way to ground zero.
It used to be an art piece in front of the World Trade Center. As you can see, it too suffered damage. It was moved to Battery Park with an eternal flame lit on the 1 year anniversary of September 11 attacks. We then made our way to ground zero.I've never been to New York before, and it's been 5 years, but I cried like a baby.
To stand where two buildings stood and have a gaping hole in their place was overwhelming.
To look up and see the buildings that still stand;
some that survived, others
that have had major renovations.....I just could contain my emotions. They have completed the subway system that used to run beneath the towers. Outside of the train station ,right at ground zero, are pictures of people, firemen and policmen carrying or aiding people through the rubble. The captions would tell their name and that after carrying the person to safety they then went back into the buidling, never to be seen again. As an American I felt pride, grief, sadness, anger and optimism. We can move on, we can rebuild, but we must never, EVER, forget.
And not to take away from the day....
but that night we went to FAO Schwartz....
and I MET TIM MCGRAW!!!!
Nobody but Scott believes me because in the process of the day our camera broke!
(we actually have a reciept for Best Buy for the next morning to prove that we went and bought a new camera) but I had my big camera on my back, and my camera phone in my pocket....I just didn't think about it. He was buying dolls for his daughters at the section where you can pick their hair color and eye color and clothing. And I stood there like for a minute trying to decide if I should saying anything. But as he walked away I walked up and told him I didn't have a camera but I wanted to shake his hand. So he smiled, shook my hand and said "nice to meet'cha" and then walked away. He was alone ( to Scott's dismay, he was hoping for a Faith sighting) and we could tell he was trying not to make a scene. But it was sooooo cool. I turned into a teeny bopper, sweaty school girl in a matter of minutes. And as I walked away my stomach was literally in my throat.
Wow, I'm such a dork. (But a very excited dork=)
After such an emtional day, Wednesday was the perfect next day. It was by far the coldest day we had, with rain and slight winds, I think it was in the upper 40's-so still nice compared to most New York days in December=) We started out the day at the Empire State Building.
There was zero visibilty that day, and we were literally in a cloud. How appropriate for people in Bakersfield to be "fogged out" in New York!=) It was freezing at the top! But the wind would blow and move the clouds around, so we didn't the get the whole city scape but we still got to see great views of the Flat Iron building, Bryant Park and lots of other things that you can't tell what they are because you're 86 stories up!
It was then on to Scott's favorite building, the Flat Iron Building.
It was then on to Scott's favorite building, the Flat Iron Building.
Happy Anniversary! Thursday we celebrated 4 years of marriage!
It was such a relaxing day too. We started by getting Starbucks, some fruit from a street vendor and then enjoying a peaceful morning wandering around Battery Park.
Then we took a ride around Central Park in horse carriage which was way fun. Our driver was Irish and very informative about all the buildings and he pointed out lots of spots that have been used in movies (which I loved!)
This was our horse Leo. I got to feed him a carrot!

Our last day we had just the a little time to play around before we had to catch a cab to the airport. We started out on the Brooklyn Bridge which I think was Scott's heaven=) He took so many pictures of the gears and the wires and the enormous bolts. Blame in on his profession.=) I just enjoyed the sights and how excited Scott was.
We then caught the subway back to the upper east side and on our way to the Met I saw the cutest little bookstore. It reminded me of a combination of The Shop Around the Corner from You've Got Mail and the Travel Bookshop from Notting Hill. Too cute!All in all, even with sad news, broken cameras, getting lost, and things being closed it was so much fun exploring such an incredible city with my best friend.
Now....where should we go next......
5 comments:
Lorie Beth! What a fantastic trip! I am so envious of all you got to do, including shaking the hottest guys in Country Music's hand! I think I would have cried!!
I went to NYC in high school with my choir, but barley remember it. I would just love to go again. So glad yall had a good trip. Yeah for fun vacations!! love you dearie!
KCN
Wish we could have gone... but we had to go and have a baby:) She's definately worth the sacrafice, but maybe when she gets a little older. It sounds like you guys had an incredible time. It's so much better to read about it and see the pictures than just hear about it. Can't wait to see more pictures (I'm sure you have some)
Looks like you had a fantastic trip to the Big Apple! I had always wanted to go to New York at Christmas time and treated myself with a little trip in college. Mom and I are actually thinking of doing so next holiday!
You really did do EVERYTHING. Wow! You really must go back to the Metropolitan...both the museum AND the opera! In my view, no trip to NY is complete without either.
What next? How about Boston? If you love history and architecture, it is definitely the place to go. I can give testimony, having lived there for two years. You both would love it!
Happy New Year! Am glad that you got to meet up with Mike and Rachel but envious that I wasn't there to join in on the fun!
Looks like you had a fantastic trip to the Big Apple! I had always wanted to go to New York at Christmas time and treated myself with a little trip in college. Mom and I are actually thinking of doing so next holiday!
You really did do EVERYTHING. Wow! You really must go back to the Metropolitan...both the museum AND the opera! In my view, no trip to NY is complete without either.
What next? How about Boston? If you love history and architecture, it is definitely the place to go. I can give testimony, having lived there for two years. You both would love it!
Happy New Year! Am glad that you got to meet up with Mike and Rachel but envious that I wasn't there to join in on the fun!
Looks like you had a fantastic trip to the Big Apple! I had always wanted to go to New York at Christmas time and treated myself with a little trip in college. Mom and I are actually thinking of doing so next holiday!
You really did do EVERYTHING. Wow! You really must go back to the Metropolitan...both the museum AND the opera! In my view, no trip to NY is complete without either.
What next? How about Boston? If you love history and architecture, it is definitely the place to go. I can give testimony, having lived there for two years. You both would love it!
Happy New Year! Am glad that you got to meet up with Mike and Rachel but envious that I wasn't there to join in on the fun!
Post a Comment