Kathleen Kelly, to Joe Fox, in You've Got Mail
My kid has books in it's closet. It's almost my 28th week of pregnancy. The beginning of my 3rd trimester. This week my kid can blink its eyes and is beginning to see the light that filters through my womb. And he/she has books in their closet. Because I want my kid to love to read. I want him to develop a thirst for knowledge. I want her to read for enjoyment as well as to be challenged. So the first thing I loaded in the closet of the nursery are a combination of books from Scott's and my childhood. Wonderful books, that when I read I can close my eyes and hear my mom. " 'Are you my mother?' 'And then she chose two Somebodies, Sally and Me' " And on and on. I called my mom to tell her about the books in my closet. She tells me that they're really my brother's books, he came first. And my grandma, as a gift to my mom, signed her up for a book club, which is why we have so many. What a cool gift! I can remember the time I stayed the night with my grandma, it was right when I was getting really good a reading. And I wanted to show off, to impress her and my grandpa with how fast I could read. After I finished she said to me "That's very good Lorie, but you need to learn to read with feeling". She proceeded to sit with me and reread the story I had just read, emphasizing certain words. Changing her voice slightly for each character. I love that memory. I love that, to this day, when I read and change the inflection in my voice (or in my head), it's because my grandma taught me to read with feeling. Reading is something important to me, and I can't wait to pass that on to my child.
The End
6 comments:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a ton of books in my baby's closet!!! I can't wait until my children are old enough to read some of my favorite "classics," like The Boxcar Children and Little House on the Prairie. I love that books can carry you away to places you can never really go. I used to pray that God would let me wake up and I was an orphan living in an old train car, or a little girl traveling across the United States in a covered wagon... I was always so dissapointed when I awoke in my house, in my nice comfy bed, with two parents and no need to catch my morning breakfast out in a field somewhere...
okay, YES I LOVED the boxcare children and always thought that I would run away from home and live in a an old train...too funny!
Dude how come you gotta steel my books?? Even mom said they are mine!! Cause it's all about me!!
I'm kidding!!
I only hope that your kid has as much fun reading them as we did!! Just think mom and dad can stll recite "Are Tou My Mother" by heart.
Do you have the fish and flips book? There's only like one or 2 out of the collection of books mom still has that I'd really like to have, mostly the motorcycle/boy books. If not I'll talk to mom about it.
Cool sis and the shelves look good too Props to your hubby who slaved to make them and paint them white!!
To think that you read really fast?? Huh you of all people I wouldn't think would read fast?? That just doesn't sound like Lorie at all?? Weird....?!!
;)
Who knows, maybe your kid will be one of those gifted & talented fellows that walk in knowing how to read in Pre-K/kindergarden.
New post please, pictures please!!! :-) Miss you
I was at 1/2 Price Books the other day, looking for books for a little girl turning one. I wandered to the Little Golden Books section, and the first one I picked up had been one of my favorites as a kid, "The Happy Man and His Dumptruck." What a great book.
All my childhood books are in a box now, waiting for the next generation to love them.
Post a Comment