Friday, August 31, 2007

a slo kind of day


So at my 39 week appointment (holy cow, 39 weeks!!!!)
my doctor did his lovely "check" only to say,
for the third time in three weeks,
"Nothing is happening dear, you're still completely closed"
Come on, throw a girl a friggin' bone here....lie to me for pete's sake. Make me feel like all the pain, stretching, cramps etc are doing SOMETHING to me.
But no.
The Mr. Rogers of all doctors
(I swear he has a cardigan on under is lab coat)
in his gentlest of ways said "nope, nothing."

Joy.

That being said, because of my stubborn body, he did give me the okay to drive to the beach for the day. Something I'd been wanting to do all summer, and just like everything else in my life, I put it off until oh, THE VERY LAST MINUTE.
But at least it got to happen.
So Scott took the afternoon off and he and Roxie and I left the 108 degree Bakersfield heat and literally drove into the fog that is Morro Bay and Cayucos. It was bliss. Pure bliss. We couldn't even begin to guess where the sun was, it was that foggy.

We pulled off on to my favorite strip of beach, the strip of beach between Morro Bay and Cayucos. The place that I used to pull off and take pictures on my way home from work, back when I worked in Cayucos but lived in SLO. The beach where dogs roam freely and for the most part, nobody but the occasional walkers-by will disturb you.

I know what you're thinking. What a dork. She's one of those people, the people who dress up their dogs and take them on vacation.

Well.

I don't consider bandanna's clothing, merely accessories.
And we've never taken her anywhere.
Until now. Ever since I fell in love with that particular beach I've wanted to go and play with my dog, even before I had a dog. Throw a ball, romp in the waves, chase birds. And while Roxie is not your typical "beach dog" she fared pretty well.
She didn't quite know how to walk on the sand.
She was so on new-scent overload that she didn't even notice the birds, not to mention play fetch.
And the ocean waves, let's just say it wasn't until Scott taught her how to play chicken with the water that she finally started to act like she was enjoying this new world.

Not quite sure of the water...
Roxie the speed demon!39 weeks...sheesh that is a HUGE gut that chick has...


So after some lovely foggy weather we packed up our sand-logged dog and drove into SLO to eat my favorite burger and fries of all time, a Firestone ABC burger.
It's heaven on a bun.

All in all it was a lovely day, escaping the heat with my honey and my dog, enjoying the last time we'll ever see the ocean without being parents.
Crazy to think, that's it. How something as simple as going to the beach can remind you of the looming life change up ahead.
Any minute this baby could come. Any minute our lives will change forever.
Amazing.

That is, if my body ever cooperates.

10 comments:

misguidedmommy said...

my doctor actually said, "to be nice shannon I'll lie and say your dialated to one...your not, but I'll lie to you, now doesn't that make you feel better?" I wanted to kick him in the nose!

Sally said...

Lori, You look GREAT...and I'm jealous about your beach day. Looks like you had a great time!

The Norvells said...

Wow! What a beautiful day you guys had. I am so glad you got to enjoy responsibility free day of bliss before your time fills with the wonders of a new life. Glad to see you are still doing well. Love and miss you, dear cousin!

carol grams said...

Hmmm....Scott on the beach AND in the water?!! Must be the dog!!

IndianaJones said...

This day reminded me of my 39th week. It was in the dead of Winter in the midwest and my body wasn't doing anything so we went to the beach on Lake Michigan in the snow and climbed 10 flights of stairs down to the water, walked and walked and walked then back up and down the stairs a few times with our dog. Two days later I was in labor...
Enjoy these last precious moments.

Emily Faulknor said...

OH Lorie, lucky you you have a beach nearby! :) It looks like a lovely day. I so wish I could be there at this time! I am still praying for the baby to come on my birthday! :) You are beautiful Lorie, every minute. Love you!

Brent and Julie said...

I totally understand your frustration! I was dialated 0 FOREVER. I never thought the baby would come... I was even dialated 0 when we went to the hospital the night before Gracie was born. Be patient...your time will come. :)

Barbie said...

Ahhh....I CAN'T wait to meet this baby! Glad you didn't pop while you were on the road to the coast :) Cute pictures and we stayed right above that stretch of beach.

misguidedmommy said...

you haven't written in a while..are you having a baby?

Lindsey Woodland said...

Did you go to the Cottonball? I'm sure no trip to Morro Bay is complete with out going to the Cottonball, at leaset for my crafty friend!!