Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Great Expectations

So due to my emotional afternoon, you'll have to forgive me for not calling those of you I was suppose to call, for an update. But as I'm sure you understand, repeating the same synopsis 18 times only makes me more exhausted.
So this is my way of telling each and every one of you, hopefully without crying again.

My body is still doing nothing. 41 weeks pregnant and nothing. I'm not dilated at all. Which I know, is okay. But defeating. I feel defeated. All my expectations about delivery are slowing going out the window, and with it, all those expectations that I didn't realize I held on to so dearly. As of now, if nothing happens, I'm scheduled to be induced Sunday evening. It's a 12 hour procedure at which, if it works correctly and I don't require a second dose, the doctor will then break my water, labor will begin (if it hasn't already) and we'll have a baby! And I'm excited. Excited for this baby to come. But sad that it's not like what I thought. There won't be random late night phone calls and a trip to the hospital. The anticipation that at any moment I could begin labor, although still existent, seems a pipe dream. And I'm working on letting go of it all. Being okay with how this might or might not happen. I'm trying to focus on the end result. The baby! The healthy, happy baby (that I'm totally convinced is a boy) that will come in to our lives and make all these emotions and freaky uncontrollable hormones worth it.

So many people have said that once they're doctor scheduled their inducement, that's when they finally went into labor. Like their biological clock just needed to be scared into production. And maybe that might happen. But I'm just praying that God will prepare my heart for whatever the outcome may be.

In the mean time I'm going for a walk with my husband and my dog, basking in the last remaining days of our time together. Sometimes I forget that. Forget that we will never just be the two of us again. Yes, eventually our children will move out, leave home, and we will be empty-nesters. But even at that point, we'll have children we know, love, call, support, nurture.

I want to look at Scott and remember him for who he is this very minute. The tall red head that through random events became my friend, my best friend and then my husband. This man who I knew as a boy, now eagerly counting the days with me, holding my hand, supporting me as we look toward our future. I love him so much and all that he is. And I can't wait to see this child, this mixture of him and I, forever cementing us together. Flesh of our flesh.

Just a few more days...

13 comments:

Olive Oyl said...

I'm so excited for you Lor. And once you are holding that tiny baby (which I'm convinced is a GIRL) in your arms... it won't matter how or why or when she came into this world. It will just matter that she is HERE and she is YOURS and that you are finally a MOMMY...

Sister your dream is coming true in just a few more short days!!!

I love you and your dear, sweet, STUBBORN baby! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful paragraph about Scott and your relationship...it will never be the same, only better. I would take this opportunity to go to a movie. Those are a thing of the past after you have a baby.

More on this post...Gotta be a girl...she's LATE, girls are always LATE! I started labor RIGHT before I was induced, maybe it'll happen for you. Regardless, even if you don't go into natural labor...the excitement, anticipation, momentum will still be there. I promise...it will still be exciting, just a little more certain ( you know, no pee mistakes ;) )

We love you. I can't quit checking your blog to see if you've updated it with news...it's like a to be continued.

Anonymous said...

Lorie, I know how you feel. I was induced with Ryan last year too. It went really well, but I was disappointed that I didn't go into labor on my own. If you are induced on Sunday, your baby may share Ryan's birthday (17th) too! That would be really exciting. Jenny O.

lorieloo said...

Jenny that would be so cool!

Tell Phil I'm sorry I didn't call him back, I got his message as I was running out the door to the dr.

Thanks for the encouragement, and wow, I can't believe it's been a year ago that I met you guys! And that your little guy is going to be 1! Wow time flies!

Anonymous said...

you are so precious, Lorie. I love the way you love my good friend Scott...he's one lucky man.

hang in there, lil mama...maybe the baby's just reluctant to leave the lovely home it's had in you!

love you three! stacia b.

Emily Faulknor said...

Darling cousin, I love your heart. I love your honesty and vulnerability. You are precious. Your baby, this wonderful gift of life is precious. You are so lucky to be at this point in you life. God knows you have waited so long for this time and maybe because of that he wants to give you a little more time to soak it in. :) I love you my dear cousin and miss you. Call me if you can, I would just love to hear your voice and I promise I won't make you repeat anything that you have already said a million times. WE could talk about photography or our dogs. :)

misguidedmommy said...

omg i'm so excited right now because i just noticed you linked me on your blog roll and i just feel soooo loved!

Margie said...

My sister's situation wasn't quite the same (it was blood pressure not being late) but they set her induce date and Marissa came that night after the visit. Even if that doesn't happen with you, the end result is going to be a precious baby and things are going to work out in His ways. Keep on truckin' & trustin. We're all praying for you & your fam to be.

Rachel V said...

Oh Lorie, hang in there! We are praying for you and Scott both!

Jana said...

be encouraged, lorie!! my sister, brother, and i were all 8 days late! my mom went through that 3 times! but i know it was all a memory when the time came. :) you have so many people praying for you!!

Anonymous said...

Lorie,
I scan many babies that are shy to come into the world or are stubborn. Hopefully he is just a shy boy. :) I love you lots and can't wait to see him. Take care and enjoy your last moments being pregnant. :)

Love,
Carissa :)

Anonymous said...

NO POST LAST NIGHT! What is this? Are you having the baby or am I getting all excited about nothing? Update, please?!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that you won't have to be induced! My first was 3 1/2 weeks late, and my second was 2 weeks late. Your body and your baby know what they are doing.
I have read some disturbing studies linking pitocin to ADD (and my sister was induced with pitocin and has ADD). Don't let them pressure you into anything you don't want to do. Trust your instincts and enjoy labor!