Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Moms


(No, my mom isn't the pregnant mom...nice shirt huh Lindsey???)


When I got pregnant I instantly reverted back to a child like love of my mom.
It's no secret that my mom and I are and have been close, she's my best friend. My confidant. The first person I call when I don't know what to do. (you know, other then Scott) Rarely a day goes by that I don't talk to her. I love how she timidly gives advice, always afraid to over step her boundary, always cautious not to become a wedge between Scott and I, always contemplating her role as mom, mother-in-law and now grams. I love that she is thoughtful, giving, understanding. I love how she says the wrong thing and then reanalyzes it over and over again for hours after.
I do that too.
I love how she loves to dig in the earth, planting, pruning, purging.
I do that too.
I love that she's quirky, odd, goofy.
I am all those things and more.
So many things I've learned from my mom. Not just from watching her example, but because so much of who I am is who she is. Our quirks, our hang-ups. They're genetic. =)

Now that Henry is here and I'm a full fledged mommy, I appreciate my mom even more. Now understanding her trepidation with babies. Her constant and continual struggle on how to be a mom, how to support and love, yet let go and "let God" so to speak.

For anyone who knows my family's history, and even for those you don't, my mom has not had an easy run as far as parenting goes. My brother and I put her and my dad through the ringer. Over and over again. We weren't exactly easy. Silently strong willed is how she describes us. And although I know she wonders what she could have done differently in so many situations, I have so much respect for the grace in which she handled each challenge. Was she perfect? Heck no. But she did her best. She loved us, prayed for us, and surrendered us into God's care when she no longer knew what else to do.

I pray that I'll do that to.


6 comments:

The Norvells said...

I love your mom too. She has always made me feel like one of her children when I was there. We both have been blessed with good moms.

misguidedmommy said...

wow i think that is one of my favorite pictures of Henry ever!!!!!!

Lindsey Woodland said...

Love the shirt...and your mom!! I know she is so proud of the amazing woman and wonderful mother you have become!

Megan said...

Lorie- Wow, I love it. You articulated all of those things so well. A lot of these things are "tender" with me too right now as I've just gotten to live with my Mom for a few weeks. Thank you for loving on your Mom on here- I loved it, and related so much to it.

Emily Faulknor said...

Oh Lorie, this entry almost made me cry because I love your mom so much and I know how much she adores you and how much ARE alike in so many ways. This just so precious! You are a wonderful mom and you had and have a wonderful role model! :) I love you! And I love this picture of your mom with Henry.

Sara said...

This is such a sweet post. There is an inexplicable connection you have with your mother after you have your own child. Suddenly, you just get it.