Three weeks ago today I awoke to a new world. I'd had irregular contractions all night long, but thankfully, had slept some.
Christie showed up at 8 to take me to my "surprise".
It was breakfast.
With all the pregnant sisters, and my dear, dear, dear, friend Katie, who was driving through town and wanted to surprise me. She so badly wanted to be able to be at the hospital when I delivered, but being almost 5 hours away and having two young children does not make it easy to jump in the car at the drop of a hat. And seeing as I was to be induced on Sunday night and she was going to be on vacation with her family, she wanted to see me (and all of us) one last time before babies came. It was also at breakfast that Katie made her final prediction on babies. She's been right on all 3 so far...so we'll see if she's right about Sara too.
So I went back home. Scott had taken the day off due to being up all night timing contractions. We proceeded to bask in the gloriousness of doing nothing all day. We watched all our recorded shows, I finished the book I've been reading, and I think I even let Scott watch sports. All along the contractions would come. Slowly, steadily, surely. Growing gradually closer and more intense. Every 20 minutes. Every 15 minutes. Every 10 minutes. EXCITEMENT PEOPLE! MAS EXCITEMENT!
Then around 2 in the afternoon things changed.
(FOR ANY GUYS READING THIS, SKIP TO THE NEXT LINE BREAK)
I lost my mucus plug, or what I like to call a long unending disgusting show of mucus and from there consistency really kicked in.
From that point on every 8 minutes.
Wow, this is it, we could be at the hospital a few hours!
By around 7 in the evening I was miserable. I couldn't quite figure out when the contractions would begin or end because I was having such bad back labor that the pain was just a steady stream of pain, only increasing slightly with the contractions. I ran myself a super hot bath thinking it would relax my back. No such luck. It just brought on contractions harder and stronger. Contractions started coming every 5 minutes, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.
I looked at Scott.
Call the hospital, I want to go now.
(This coming from the girl who had it in her head that she was going to try and be at home as long as possible. But at this point all I could focus on was getting to the hospital. Because the hospital had drugs. Yummy, yummy drugs.)
He called.
The nurse said with first time babies they want 3-5 minutes contractions for at least an hour before I come in.
AN HOUR!!! ARE YOU INSANE??!!!
I wanted to cry. Instead I drew myself another hot bath.
That did the trick. Within in minutes my contractions were every 2 minutes, every minute in a half, then every 2 minutes again. After a half hour of misery, pure misery I told Scott, call them back. I'm coming.
We got in the car. The pain gripped me so intensely I didn't want to breathe. I remember crying because I hurt so badly. Because the look on Scott's face was sheer panic. Like what do I do? How do I help? I remember apologizing to him, telling him I know it must be hard for him to see me like this, to feel helpless. He held my hand and told me it was okay, our baby was coming.
We had decided ahead of time not to call moms until we were at the hospital. We didn't wait. Scott called his. And between my shrieks and crying I called mine. Dad answered. I don't remembering saying hello, or goodbye, just "we're going to the hospital". Much more then that I couldn't say. Sounds dramatic I know, but that car ride seemed forever long. And then once we got to the hospital, another obstacle...wait, I'm supposed to walk down that LONG hallway? I'm supposed to coherently answer questions about allergies and my medical history? SERIOUSLY CAN'T YOU HAVE DRUGS WAITING FOR ME IN THE PARKING LOT????

And of course they can't give you anything until you're officially admitted,
(which seemed to take an eternity)
and you can't have an epidural until you are at least dilated to a good 3 to 4 cm.
They finally checked me, I was 1, almost 2. THAT'S IT???!!!!!
My parents showed up. At one point I wanted to kick out my dad because he wouldn't stop whispering. And he's a loud whisperer.
Then I threw up.
I remember holding Scott's entire arm, curling up on my side and just trying to breath.
The nurse came back and checked me again, I was 3-4 cm. Praise the Lord.
Then I threw up again.
Lovely.While I waited for the fluid bag to empty so I could get an epidural, the nurse, Alissa, who quickly became my best friend, gave me a shot of a drug I can't spell into my IV. Bliss, pure bliss people. The pain didn't go away, but I was finally a little bit comfortable. And the back pain in between contractions went away enough that I could rest in between each contraction.
(I was that happy after the IV drug)
The babies’ heart rate is doing some funny things, but everything is looking good now, but we’re going to keep the oxygen on just to keep on eye on things.
This is where I get confused. He said I had no water. That they might even add fluid depending on how long I labor.
And doctors want babies to be delivered within 24 hours of water breaking…But I had a regular check up on Wednesday…wouldn’t my doctor have noticed if my water was gone????
And mere seconds later our lives began to change yet again.


11 comments:
omg omg omg and then what!!!! wow the cliff hangers are back
I'm really glad you're posting your birth story. I am so sorry you had so much pain. I totally know what you mean about the look on Scott's face driving to the hospital. I remember the same thing the first time: me crying, saying "it hurts, it hurts, I can't do it!!" and Jeremy trying his best to remain calm and not freak out with me. :) aren't husbands the best??
Can't wait for your next post. I'm just glad to know the story will have a WONDERFUL ending. :)
My gosh! I don't even know you (except through your blog), I will probably never meet Henry, and I'm about to cry.... Great re-telling of the story! Sounds like Scott was a hero! Can't wait for the next post!!
Umm, I don't know you and just randomly stumbled upon your blog. But I have to say, my jaw dropped when I started reading your posts and you gave away tidbits of yourself that makes it seem like I'm reading about myself...exhibit A:
you're a book lover
L&O SVU is your favorite
you wanted to be a third grade teacher, but then desires of being a wife & mom took over
you love You've Got Mail
you love Francine Rivers
you love the Lord
it seems like you like P&P a lot
you know about Cuyoucos (how the heck do you spell it?)
you're into photography
Uhhh - freaky!! Are you a long lost twin?!?! My husband and I don't have kids yet...we're about to buy our first house. But gosh, we share a lot of similarities!! Anyway, conrgats on the super cute baby, glad you're both doing well. I'm definitely gonna continue to read your posts - you give things a great comical twist! Check out mine too... take care!
OKAY.... LOOK NOT OKAY TO STOP MID STORY!!!! I'm sure you'll have some lame ass (oohhh look Lindsey said ass!!!ahhhh) excuse like I had to nurse or change a diaper. But seriously there are some of us who are stuck in a cubicle all day and rely on blogs such as yours to gets us through the day and to prevent us from drinking under our desk....so lets go back to the story little missy!!!!
I'm on the edge of my seat.
Exciting...I know the rest and I still can't wait to hear ALL the details!
seriously with the stopping mid-story? not cool chambless...not cool.
~stacia
LOL!!!! Love it! Love it! thanks for letting Henry see where his grams works!!!
Warning Lorie, don't read Kate's blog! hmmm...her lable on her first blog...musings...maybe she is your twin! LOL!!!
Love ya Lorie doll, but that was maddening. Get clicking girl!
Post a Comment