Monday, November 05, 2007

I'm one of those kind of people...

you know, the kind of people who pretend to be annoyed with the fact that by the end of September Christmas stuff is appearing on shelves and web pages everywhere. But here's a secret.

I FRIGGIN' LOVE IT.

Christmas makes me happy. The smells, the colors (yes honey, "the colors"), the music, the gifts, the shopping, the wrapping, the red cups at Starbucks. Don't get me wrong, as a Believer I totally don't overlook the importance of the season. That our Savior came as small baby, born a miracle to die a miracle so that we could be saved from our sins. I get it. I appreciate it. And I love Christmas first and foremost for that reason. But is it wrong as a Believer to also get little-kid-giddy as soon as Thanksgiving is over? To eagerly anticipate gathering family together, lighting the advent candles at church, anxiously awaiting the time when I can hear my ALL TIME FAVORITE SONG, O Holy night?? I don't think it is. I think as believers we have even more to celebrate.

As a child my family would gather together with their friends and make us kids all act out the nativity. I love that idea. Especially with so many kiddos in the enormous Cham fam. Not only is it way cute to see little kids as lambs, with cotton balls glued on paper hats, and little kings with Burger King crowns, but what a great way to remind your kids, year after year, what we're really celebrating.

So go judge me if you want. But I spent a good twenty minutes going up and down the dozen Christmas aisles at Target today, ooohhing and awwwing over the dishes, the ornaments, the coordinating wrapping paper sections. And I'm literally counting down the days until I get myself a good hot white chocolate mocha in a big red cup.

15 comments:

Kate said...

Ditto everything!!!

Jana said...

i LOVE that you posted this . . because i'm the EXACT same way (even down to the red starbucks cups)!!! just the other day i had the fleeting thought of, "hmm, i wonder when they'll bust out the fun red cups!" as i ordered my caramel apple (now called) spice! and i've even caught myself talking about how ridiculous i think it is that there's already a radio station playing non-stop christmas music, but then find myself stopping on that stinkin channel and listening to see what song is playing . . anticipating my favorites!! :) glad i'm not the only one . . .

Anonymous said...

I too am addicted to the anticipation of the holiday season. It's just so fun!

Olive Oyl said...

How did I miss you in that holiday aisle?! I bought two new ornaments for my tree today... just hours after I promised Mark I wouldn't purchase anything new this year. I couldn't help myself.

And if I would have found another animated woodland creature that I was in love with, I probably would have purchased that too!!!

bandofbrothers said...

Too bad we missed you at Target today Christie. Today Colleen, Lorie and I had pow-wow down the center aisle. It was so fun bumping into everyone. I wish I loved the Christmas season as much as you do Lorie, but I am wondering how I'm going to afford all those fun presents! Just tonight John and I had our monthly budget meeting and we lamented the fact that we did not put away money each month for Christmas, like responsible people do.....

misguidedmommy said...

i dont get excited about christmas as much as thanksgiving...i like those colors better plus the yummy cinnamon and food scented candles. mmmmmmmmmm pumpkin spice candle

Emily Faulknor said...

ARe you kidding me??? Lorie, who could or would judge your for that??? I am right alongside you my dear. I can't WAIT!!! I wish I could be there to oohh and aahh over the lights and colors and smells with you. I love you! Give Henry a squeeze for me okay???

Talia said...

ooh, yes, I agree!! :)

Eric and Emily said...

I'm no scrooge either! I love the music and lights! And snuggling up with my husband drinking hot teas, like gingerbread tea, yummy! I love it! It's right after Christmas I hate, I don't like the month of January, it drags!

Eric and Emily said...

I'm no scrooge either! I love the music and lights! And snuggling up with my husband drinking hot teas, like gingerbread tea, yummy! I love it! It's right after Christmas I hate, I don't like the month of January, it drags!

carol grams said...

LOL!!! Grams

MacD Kids said...

Oh the glory and radiance of The Red Cup :-) I am going to miss you when I drink my first one...

Margie said...

I already have my Christmas stuff out as of last weekend (not this weekend, but last) except for my tree & I am the same way. Part of it is the anticipation for the season and the reminder of family far away. Tim knows how happy it makes me and doesn't really care. My friends all understand my "oddness" but maybe I'm not so odd.

Brent and Julie said...

I too get "little-kid-giddy" when Christmas rolls around. It's like when you go to Disneyland. You know you're an adult, but you can't help but feel the magic. :)

Sara said...

oooh...You've got me all tingly and excited too!