Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Blurry Days

Well it finally happened. That moment that all mothers can relate to. That moment where you're so exhausted, so run down, done being patient and you just have to yell. I broke down and yelled. I was in the car, parked on the side of the road trying to get directions from a photo client, Henry was screaming bloody murder in the back seat and I just lost it. I hung up and yelled at the top of my lungs. Not surprisingly Henry didn't take it too well. He yelled louder. Right like he was really going to let me out do him. I called Scott to tell him I was on my way home. Apparently he could tell by my voice that it had been a doosey of a day. When I got home there was a warm white mocha wrapped happily in a red cup. Cheers! A small beacon of light broke through the haze of my day.

I love my husband, and how it's the little things he does that show he loves me, encourages me, supports me. I know I don't deserve him. Later when my girlfriends were getting together to have a night out, he didn't tell me I shouldn't. He knew I shouldn't, but he didn't tell me so. He let me go. And even more of my fuzzy day wore off. It's days like this that I'm thankful for the people in my life. For my husband. How amazingly patient, understanding, supportive, encouraging he is. How he gently reminds me of right when I would rather chose wrong. God put him in my life to take care of me, and he does an amazing job.

I'm thankful for friends and sisters who understand where I'm coming from because they're on the same path. We struggle with the same struggles. I love that all it took was forty five minutes and 3 pazookies later (collectively, not solely) and the remaining weariness of the day dissolved and I was once again a teenager in a booth being silly with my friends, attempting to forget the obligations that remained at home. Letting the burdens of the day melt away with the ice cream.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the 8th day God created Pazookie!! Man that stuff is good!!! I'm so glad that you have friends and family that allow you to go be a teenager again!! It truly helps with the maddness of life. Love ya sis!!

gretchen said...

yes, i can relate. wonderful husbands are the best. im sad i didnt get to go last night. so good to have such great friends!

Emily Main said...

beautiful.

Your blogging is not going to be very helpful with keeping my baby fever at bay is it? :)

you do realize that you just made me want to experience being exhausted and worn out due to motherhood?

bandofbrothers said...

boy, our days were remarkably similar..with the baby screaming bloody murder all day, and the mommy screaming too(happens to the best of us)..nothing that a good pazookie can't fix, eh?

jenn said...

Oh my goodness, I so know what you mean. I went in my garage one time to "vent" aka scream as loud as I could and freak the neighbors out probably ...walked back in and was totally normal. Sometimes it's just enough! :)

That photo is just perfect. Totally captures girls at heart, regardless of age. I love it.

IndianaJones said...

picture me nodding my head continuously in agreement throughout this post.
When I first freaked out Indy with a scream it made me even more frustrated so I started growling. Now I growl and she thinks it is so funny she laughs and it makes me laugh and then I forget that I'm that frustrated but I'm serious so I keep growling and she keeps laughing and on and on...you get the picture.

Talia said...

yay, you got your refreshment! :) Seriously, could there be anything better than an understanding husband, great girlfriends, and pazookies to melt away stress? Put those on the top of the blessing list, I say!! :)
hehe, I can't tell you how many times I've gone into our closet, closed the door, buried my face in a coat and screamed at the top of my lungs. I think it's a good release.
of course, sometimes I don't make it all the way to the closet and yell at my kids instead...

misguidedmommy said...

hopefully my gift gets there soon, i have a feeling there might be something in there to help you feel a bit better

Excellent Parent said...

Oh my dear, those days are hard, and we all have them. That was so sweet that your husband did that, I wouldnt even know what to do if jerami did that, I would be so excitted. That is sweet.

Crystal said...

Hi there! Emilypie sent me a link to your blog recently--actually it was to the story of Henry's birth and I bawled my eyes out. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and just found it so terrifying what you went through, but so wonderful that Henry came out so perfect and cute!

I second your cheers to good husbands, by the way! Yay for them. There should be more men like Scott (and like my husband Mario, whom I think may actually have met Scott when his brother was Brandon's roomie) in the world.