gotta love Michael W. Smith. How's that for a throw back?
What to say about my Elliegirl? I love her to begin with. I've known Ellie since we were kids, playing in the sump behind her house. Acquaintances at church until we hit high school and became actual friends. We had classes together and swam together. We played broom hockey together and had that one sleep-deprived, we-better-finish-this-paper-because-our-lives-depend-on-it all nighter. I was there at the very beginning of her relationship with her now husband. Then she went off to college and I got married. We stayed in contact, but not much. Then she married her high school sweetheart and moved back to town. We reconnected. We shared a love of photography and cookie dough. Or anything chocolate. I needed someone to assist me on some weddings. She stepped up. I don't know if I've ever laughed that much. 6 months pregnant and 100 degree heat do not a happy photographer make. So we took a detour to my mom's house in between the wedding and the reception and jumped in the pool in our skivies. Then she struck out on her own, gaining her own cliental, and striking a chord of fear in me. Was I as good as she? Would people forget me, and use her instead? Insecurity burns deep. We shared everything. Our ideas, our equipment, our locations. Different styles but a common goal.
It hasn't been easy, and I would be lying if I said it won't always be a struggle. I love her and respect her so much. Yet am equally intimidated by her. And she knows it.
But I love our imperfect friendship. How it's flawed and challenged daily, yet strong, and easy. Comfortable even. It's a tough spot; to be so comfortable and yet uncomfortable by the same person.
All that being said, I can't imagine not having her in my daily life. Because she is. And it's the little things, like "hey, tell me if you like this paint color" or "um, I made cookies, come eat them with me", or "I'm sick", " me too", "okay, come over and we'll be sick together".
And I wouldn't have it any other way.

7 comments:
What a sweet tribute. She sounds like a great girl. I am glad you have a friend to be sick with, to love and depend on. They are always such a blessing.
Did I mention how cute y'all are...even when you're sick?! Sheesh.
A good friend is a really good thing. And you're insecurities will only make you both better photographers!
I think having a friend like that who really challenges you is the best kind to have. And any friend who'll come over and hang out while your both sick...well that is a keeper.
I say be happy to have someone who will challenge you AND help you.. and the other way around. You are lucky. Enjoy each other...
Sis, I'm so happy you have someone like that in your life!! My whole life I've feared competition, thinking "what if I lose?", so I avoided it at all costs. But at this point in my life, when I've lost everything but God (and you guys of course!!) you realize competition and losing aren't a "bad" thing. It's a call to be better, and think outside the box, to challenge yourself, and to trust God, that eve if I lost it all, I'd still have him!! A what an amazing gift that is!!
How stinkin' cute are you guys!! Like 2 peas in a pod, adorable, talented, sickies, all Ellie needs is a lil' Henry....(I'm helping you drop a hint*)
Have a beautiful day at Magic Mountain with you hubby!!!
Love you so much!
-Bro D.
*Click Me
how cute are you little sickies. I love that picture! Your couch looks fab with the fisheye. Love you both.
So cute. :) You are really lucky to have a friend like that! They don't come around very often. Hope you feel better soon!
Post a Comment