Saturday, February 09, 2008

Fish Fun and why I love my husband #984


I had my day all planned out. Baby shower at 11, leave by 12:15 (to hopefully avoid playing any and all lame games) to make it home in time to feed the kid, pack up the car and drive the almost two hours north to a little hole in the wall town called Coalinga to shoot an engagement session. As I'm driving across town, half way home I get the call. The fiance, who works in the prison got stuck in lock down and can't leave until 10 pm. No problem we'll reschedule.

So then my whole day was shot. And I was disappointed. I had gotten up, taken a shower, done my hair, you know, felt good. Felt like it would be a fun afternoon road trip with my honey. I had all my creative juices going and I was aching for some really great photog fun.

So then I sat all bummed, stewing, wanting to do something. I didn't want this day to be a total waste of makeup. (Back in high school I had a friend that used that expression, as in "ugh, today was a total waste of make-up")

Scott suggested going to get lunch. I slipped my camera into the trunk. We fought the crowds at In and Out, wolfing down our double cheese burgers and fighting over every last fry. Then we got back in the car and I started driving. Driving. Driving.

"Um, honey, if you're planning on killing me and ditching my body, this would probably be a good place" he said as the housing developments and shopping centers grew further and further apart. Till there was nothing but the occasional farm house, farm equipment, and the horrible fuzzy air making the surrounding mountains disappear.

I have to love my husband. He would rather have stayed home. Played guitar hero, desperately trying to earn more achievements than Larry. But instead, he smiled, posed. Played with our son. I heard him tell Henry "See Henry, sometimes you have to let mommy take pictures of you. Because that makes her happy. And when she's happy, we're all happy." He even took turns, letting me be in front of the camera, and learned some new things as well. And to cap it off, when I opened my camera bag I had a lovely camera strap attached to my camera that I had told him I wanted for V-day. He had wanted to surprise me. I love that about him.


I swear that's not what you think Henry,
You can't get milk from there.

11 comments:

Barbie said...

Did you get the fisheye? YAY! How exciting! Great pics. Okay, so I was leaving a comment on Davi's blog and saw the comment from Cameron Ingalls so I decided to head over to his blog for a bit. I LOVE the pic of him and his wife on the tandem. I need you to replicate it. Maybe we'll do a family session for Aubrey's second birthday.

Emily Main said...

OH MY GOODNESS... what fisheye lens did you get? (not that it matters.. at least until I'm able to cough up the ci-zash for a 5d! My poor 30d's sensor can't handle all that wide-angle-goodness!)

I'm going to be sending you a rather long-winded email about photography.. feel free to ignore it if you'd like.

PS.. Brandon humored me today too. We were walking the dogs and I wanted to bring along the camera.... at first he was all, "I thought we were walking the dogs.. ugh.. why do we have to keep stopping?" and then he realized the less he whined, the quicker I was about things because I didn't have to respond! And we were all happy. ... but at least yours lets you take pictures of him every now and then.

PS.. tell Brad that I have quit posting pictures of dog butts, so he can mosey on over and check out Brandon's "New" wife now. ;)

bandofbrothers said...

love the fisheye. your pics are way cool. my favorite is the 4th from the bottom. so cute. funny how Scott was telling Henry to go along with mommy to make her happy. And I'm so amused by the whole "total waste of make-up" comment. I'm glad that you had an even more productive day--cute pics of the family are priceless.

Jana said...

isn't it funny the absolute NEED, these days, to go out and do SOMETHING once you've gotten fully showered and ready?!! i totally understand! glad the make-up wasn't a waste! you got some super fun pics!!

Ashley said...

These are beautiful Ugh. I want your camera! That last photo is so sweet of the two of you. Glad your day worked out to be something fun!

themurphys said...

Lorie,
Oh my goodness. I am a fish freak...It's one of my favorite photography elements! I didn't know you had it! We so have to use it with Hadley, which by the way, I promise I'm not trying to drag my feet. I have had bronchitis for 2 weeks - blech. Let's try to do it this or next week though once it's cleared up. I'm so excited! Fish fun! Wooohooo! And yes, you and your boys are simply adorable, as usual. :)

Brent and Julie said...

I love the pic of him biting your nose. So cute! You know if you ever get the urge to take pics of something just give us a call. :) We'd love pics of Gracie. (Which you are definitely doing for her 1st birthday!!!)

Talia said...

reading this post made me realize what a complete and total photography idiot I am. The whole time I was reading it, even when I got to the end, I was thinking "but wait? Where are the fish? I don't get it--- why 'fish fun'???" I kept waiting to see a picture of you guys fishing, or at least holding a fish of some sort. Even making kissyfishy faces!
It wasn't until I read the comments that I realized what "fish" was referring to.

I know, I'm dumb. :)

But your pictures are lovely as always! So fun. I'm glad you ended up having a great afternoon.

Getting Ready for 30 said...

L-O-V-E the fish eye!! These pictures are so sweet... especially the last one. I'm jealous of all the awesome places to shoot in and around Bako. You and Ellie seam to find the best locations.

Glad your day worked out. Gotta love a husband that cares about his wife. I'd have to say taht Chambless men were raised right!

Margie said...

Yes, it is important to do things that make her happy. Then she returns those gestures for the things that make him happy!

anna joy said...

ahhahahahhahahahahaha the caption on the last one!