Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Little Lark, Little Lark, where have you gone?

It is with a heavy heart that I write this. I've cried. I've (no joke) laid in bed at night for two nights in a row, retracing my steps. Where could it have gone? I don't ever take it out of his car seat. It's been there since our first car ride home and every car ride since. It's gone to the beach, to Seattle on his first airplane ride, to the doctor, to the mall, to nursery, countless trips to the grocery store, but alas, it is no where to be found. And it breaks my heart.

I know he's not connected to it. He won't miss it. But I do. I ache for the embroidered letters and perfect stitches, constructed in love by a dear dear friend. Before we even knew Henry's name. I had looked forward to that baby shower, knowing it was finally my turn to receive a blanket from her. Her creations are one of a kind. Always perfectly unique. Quite the hot commodity. And I loved it. As my belly grew bigger and bigger I would sit in his nursery, packing and repacking his diaper bag, softly stroking that blanket, dreaming and fantasizing about the coming months. It was his first home-made blankey. It fit perfectly around his tiny body in his car seat. It was the perfect size to snuggle his little body in when he was so small. My sentiments could go on and on. Davi says no big deal. We'll just make another one. Or better yet, I should make him one. And I should. And I will. But I ache for that little Lark. His first blankey.

And I am sad.

On our way to our first doctors visit.

11 comments:

Talia said...

oh, Lorie! I am so sorry for your loss. And I say that seriously, for only too well do I know how sad it is when those "firsts" from their baby days are lost. As mothers, we just have so many hopes and dreams and memories tucked up in those dear little things, as you so beautifully put. And even once they outgrow them, we will gently put them away to be looked at later and to be passed down for them to have a piece of their babyhood. And what a blanket that is! Davi did an amazing job.

I am hoping, my dear, that maybe, just maybe it will still turn up for you!!

mrs schienbein said...

this is probably not helpful at all but didn't you take pics of it for me to help with my own quilt expedition? maybe it's with your camera stuff or in your 2nd bedroom?

I'm so sorry! I LOVE that blanket too!!!

gretchen said...

oh lorie, im so sorry. i completely understand how awful that is. what a sad feeling. i hope it shows up soon.
when i saw the blankies at your shower i was completely jealous thinking how i wish i had known this amazing seamstress. it is a beautiful blanket for sure and with such sentiment attached to it.
im sorry.

Emily Main said...

Aw. So sad. I just re-read your baby shower post the other day and oohed and ahhed over that blanket. I hope it turns up ......

David Anderson said...

And think my made it all that way to Seattle and back as well....Yea that's right I took my baby blanket to college!! It was only on our trip to Disneyland when I came home that it was left in the hotel room...Probably a good time to loose it anyway...Like you said at least he wasn't attached to it!! Doesn't help that you were though!!

Sally said...

Oh Lorie, that really stinks. I hope it still turns up...why do we always lose the things that are most special to us??

Amy said...

your post was so sad it got me tiery eyed! here's hoping there still somewhere you haven't looked...

bandofbrothers said...

Aw, Lor, so sweet of you to make such a fuss over little lark--what a nice tribute that was! It had a happy home. Now onward, toward the next blanky, an actual boy blanky(we didn't even know what you were having!). I'm sure the next one will be so fun and I already have ideas swirling around in my head.

Ashley said...

ooooh no! I hope it turns up, it must be somewhere. That last photo is soo precious.

Margie said...

I lost a very precious sewn piece this week also...that was holding two projects I'd just completed. I TOTALLY know the attachment you feel. But then I am reminded that these attachments are temporary...but it still is hard!

misguidedmommy said...

nooooooooo not the davi blankie. i think i am going to cry with you! i love that blankie. i have been jealous of it since the first second i saw it. maybe it is morphing its way to reno. so very sad.