Monday, February 04, 2008

The things you think you know but don't

How's that for a title?

I am SO NOT political. I've refrained from even mentioning the coming election on my blog, because, well, I'M SO NOT POLITICAL. I'm just not. All the different legislation, and propositions do I vote yes? Do I vote no? I know it's important to have voice and to use it. Many men and women fight daily for my right to even have a voice. But chalk it up to how I deal with anything in life. I align myself with someone I like, someone I trust, and generally take what they say or in this instance, who they're voting for, and go with that. It's definitely taking the easy road. And that's pathetic I know, but I've come to accept that as who I am. And to promise that "next time I'll read up on it all" would just be lying for the sake of sounding good. I know that I won't. The problem lies in that everyone around me doesn't know who to vote for either. Like yesterday. Pre-super bowl the family was discussing who they were voting for, who they weren't, who they thought was "slimy" who they thought was "creepy". Do we vote our conscious? Do we vote morally/ethically/religiously etc? And the room was pretty much as undecided as everyone else I know. Then today, while Scott is home sick (for the 3rd day-ugh!) We've received count 'em 6 (SIX!) phone calls from "the other side" requesting to speak to Scott to attempt to persuade him to vote for their candidate. (Interestingly enough, it's all been the same candidate)

"Why are they calling us?"
I ask him.
"Don't they know we're on 'the other side?'"

To which Scott mumbles in between coughs and wheezes
"They're probably calling because I'm registered as an independent so they're trying to sway me."

long pause

"WHAT?"

"Yeah I want to be able to vote for whoever I want and not get stuck voting for one specific party".

Long pause

"WHAT?!!!"

Guess it does pay to be informed. Except that in the LAST FIVE YEARS OF OUR MARRIAGE when we've talked politics (which is very little, but it does arise) we tend to be on the same side of things. So imagine my shock when I realize Scott's playing the double agent. Not fully taking sides. And not that you have to but none the less it shocks you when you think you know something about someone and then whammy-smack in the head whammy-they surprise you.
All of this to say, don't comment telling me who to vote for. We all have our opinions, our beliefs and stances and lets keep those in the real world and let our nice little, safe, warm, fuzzy blog world stay just as it is. Ignorant of each others political views and receptive to warm fuzzy stories about our dogs, babies, friends babies, babies' babies, our careers, our latest art project, etc etc.

The End.

and just for pictures' sake, here is a picture of my dog with my sick-as-a-dog husband.
at least he had someone to snuggle with.

12 comments:

Talia said...

your poor hubby- hope he feels better soon.
I think you and I have about the same attitude when it comes to politics... I never am as informed as I maybe should be. My way of doing it is "Honey, who are we voting for?" :) I'm a little ashamed of that and might make an effort to be more involved in later years when I don't have two little kids and a million other things to do-- but until then, I am very grateful to have a husband who is not only a godly man but also well-informed! :)

Talia said...

oh, and also, I laughed out loud at your "WHAT??" I can't tell you how many times Jeremy has surprised me with new information that I thought I would have known long ago. I'm glad to know it's not just us, or I would have felt like bad communicators!

MacD Kids said...

Ha :-) Lorie, you crack me up!
Just to save you from potential "WHAT?!" induced heart attack 10 years into our friendship, Ryan and I are also 'Independent' voters ;-)
Love you!

Sally said...

After 7+ years of marriage, I just found out that my hubby also registers as independent. I don't see the point since he ALWAYS votes for the candidate from one particular (non-donkey) party...he just can't vote in any primaries. But, whatever...

I always let him do the research and then I quiz him to decide who I should vote for.

Barbie said...

I too allow Justin to do the research and usually align with his decision. I saw a bumper sticker that pretty much sums up my stance this year " '08 Anyone but Hillary"

I like Scott's reasoning, maybe we'll switch to the independent side of things :)

Home Sweet Sarah said...

I work in politics and COULD tell you to vote "No," on all the propositions, but because you said you didn't want people to tell you how to vote, I won't ;-) Instead, I'll just say that I was SHOCKED when I found out my fiance Chris is a socialist. ACK! He's lucky I love him more than my job!

The Norvells said...

I heard a pastor during college say once...."I don't vote because no one would do everything I think is right 100%, so therefore I can't with good conscious vote. Do we give kids full credit on problems in school cause they have 50% of it right? Well, we shouldn't give a candidate our vote either unless we feel they are 100% right". While he has a point, his point was also weak too. I am right there with ya. I work with this guy who always wants to talk politics. I just smile and nod.

gretchen said...

i was like that til this past year. for the first time im really excited about a particular candidate. but i do understand the attitude. its hard to be motivated to shuffle through all the bosh and nonsense talk that most of them do. ...but not my particular candidate... :o)

Lindsey Woodland said...

Lorie you crack me up!!! I'm already wearing my "I voted sticker", I'm definitely the dorky type who read about every single proposition on the ballot. It makes me feel like a part of the process. : )

Flo Paris said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I actually just found yours too--after Emery linked to that absurdly cute video of your little guy.
Also..Henry? One of my favorite boys names ever and if my friend had not just given the name to her new boy,I would have it in the reserves should we ever have a son.

They've been calling my husband too since he's independent.
At his job, he has had Lindsay Lohan come in to buy Apple merchandise. So yesterday, when he said "Scarlett Johansen called me today" I didn't realize he was halfway joking and I seriously thought...first Lindsay Lohan, now Scarlett?? What did she want? Her own army of "Macbook Airs"? Plus she's his celebrity crush!

Turns out she was just calling on behalf of Barack Obama. And it was a recorded message.
Haha.

Sara said...

Mine and Tessie's stickers got fuzzy and stopped sticking right away. I felt jipped all day.

Sara said...

Oh, and your dog is wearing a sweater.