Lately PJ monday has been unsuccessful around these parts. By the afternoon I get stir crazy with Henry's fussing, (more on that later) and so we either get in the car to go to Target for one little thing, or drive around doing errands, sometimes it's just a walk, anything to get us out of the house. But today I was just plain tired. And even though we started out with a rough morning, I was determined to stay in my PJ's, get some laundry done. Work on some editing. REST.
But then it happened. That darn Elliegirl called me.
"So, um, I didn't get a job today...soo...do you wanna, like...I dunno....have lunch?"
"I can't it's PJ day"
"So come in your PJ's"
"Okay"
I am so easily tempted.
So to Davi's we went, in our PJ's, all contributing something to our lunch. Somehow what I brought didn't end up making the final menu which is understandable when you've got gourmet salad (with homemade yummy creamy basil salad dressing) and turkey sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies (which we totally believe are good for us because, well, they're made with whole wheat flour-so they're totally better for us right?)
I've grown up hearing stories of my mom and her friends and how they would raise their kids together. Getting us together to play in order to have adult conversations and mid-week encouragement and pick-me-ups from the mundane, challenging daily grind of parenthood. Those women are still my mom's dear friends. Those women are like family to me, their kids like siblings. And it occured to me recently that I am now there. I am creating amazing friendships with amazing women (and my sisters) who I can rely on, encourage, be encouraged by, love and laugh with. I pray that in 20 years these women will still be in my life. That their kids and my kids will be friends, sibling almost. That they'll be able to recall those simple days of sandwiches in the backyard while their mom's talked the afternoon away, just as I can. I've said it before, but I am blessed by my friends. And continually thankful for all that they are.
4 comments:
awww cute. i'll bring a cardboard cut out of a baby when i come to lunch so i can fit in! woooo!!
Oohhh, I feel an attack of the smiley bedtime faces...
I smiled the whole time I read this post. So funny Ellie's phone call with the "umms" and the cute pauses. So Ellie.
I love the way you write.
One day we'll be little old ladies in rocking chairs--Love you deary!
I love this. I feel exactly the same way, and everytime I look around at my girlfriends and all their children I feel like I've been given a huge gift and blessing. It's amazing to be surrounded by godly women who can encourage and emphathize, and to watch our children play and grow close. Beautiful!
oh, and have I told you how much I just love your new blog header? Cause I do.
This is why I am going to job share next year! I can't wait to have lunch in my pj's!!!
Post a Comment