I do.
I remember walking on campus my first day of my senior year. I had actually ironed my shirt. (what a dork was I?) I was wearing a skirt (you know, cause it's the first day...man I'm a dork) and I remember feeling untouchable. Like I was It. I love my high school memories. I love to look back and laugh at the stupid things my friends and I did. Like pouring black eyed peas all over some boys front yards in honor of the Dixie Chicks "Goodbye Earl". Or driving around in Emily's burb playing Faith, Tim, the Chicks, Shania over and over again and singing at the top of our lungs. I remember falling asleep in AP english, and chemistry, and geometry (seriously, how did I graduate?) I remember being backstage during the productions I was in, soaking up all those adrenaline filled moments and the rush from performing. I remember the day I swam my first 500m and had to have someone help pull me out of the pool because I was so exhausted, and then how I went on to LOVE the 500m and ended up actually winning a few. I remember my friends. I deeply love them all. And I love that they're still in my life.
Why all this reminiscing? I had the honor of shooting five senior portrait sessions in the last week. And hearing their tales of the prom and their girlfriends or boyfriends or ex's or they're best friends ex or their best friends boyfriend....I just smiled. I can't believe it's been seven years since I was there. Part of me feels like it was two days ago. Part of me feels like it was all just a dream. Amazing where my life has taken me in seven years. A remarkable thing about it all is that if you would have told me this is where I would be seven years after I graduated I would have believed you. And even further, if you could have told me back then where each and every one of my friends would be and what they'd be doing now, I'd believe you as well. We have all taken our own paths, paths we wanted for ourselves. And I think that's a blessing. Not many people get to dream about their futures and then actually see them become reality.
We did.
I'm a mom. Emily is a wife. Lindsey is in "the business", Lauren works for an aquarium, Ellie is the artist, succeeding at everything she does, and Amy works in ministry (I think).
Anyway. Listening to the hopes and dreams of these five kids just spurred a sense of nostalgia in me in the last few days. Hope you don't mind my little trip down memory lane. Here's a lot of pictures. I loved every single one of these kids. The guys were great, the girls were beautiful-and I laughed so much with a few of them my face hurt.












9 comments:
These look awesome Lor! The girl in the yellow is darling!
Okay, Um, I really miss high school like ALL the time... now when I sing obnoxiously loud and annoying to country songs in the car, people just look at me like I need to get a life. :) Glad to hear I'm not the only one with fond memories such as these.
love love love these! skills to pay the BILLZ, woman! wow did i just say that
Yes, I was supposed to call you and I didn't! I got home way later than I thought would from church and was absolutely exhausted. I am so sorry!!! So, what about Saturday afternoon? Like 2? I really, really, really want to talk with you. Oh and I love these senior portraits. They are awesome, great eye! Love you!
great pictures Lorie! love your use of light(am I allowed to say that since it sounds so photographer-ish??)all I know is that I love your photos, regardless of my knowledge of solar flares and what not:)
and jeez you and Christie are scaring me with your nostalgic love of high school. I hated my high school..but I do have the fondest memories of my college days.
and singing Faith at the top of your lungs?LOL!
and sleeping through chem? tsk, tsk
Wow! Senior pics are way cooler now than when I was in HS...which, by the way, was way longer than 7 years ago! =)
I second Jana's comment. These are way cooler than when I was in High School. I love these. :-)
So, I don't really miss high school that much. It was fun... but it was also an "awkward" time for me. However, I also have some great memories of singing really loud and sleeping through class too. :-)
We don't do senior photos in Canada. I must admit, the first time I heard about senior photos, I thought it was this new class of photography where you take pictures of wrinkly old people. *lol* These are great photos! Very refreshing and creative!! I especially like the one of the girl sitting in the brick wall cut-out. AWESOME!!
Okay...I totally agree with "band of brothers." It's not that I hated high school, but college was so much better. There was so much more freedom and independence. I loved having no responsibilites. :)
ahhh, I love you Lorie!!! I miss you and promise to come to Bako soon to see you and the little man!
Post a Comment