Monday, May 26, 2008

evil evil Ebay

Evil, yet addicting.

I'm in the market for jeans. Because I currently own one pair. And I'm not a fan of how they turn me into a plumber at the drop of a hat, or a pacifier, or baby sock. And seeing as my goal of fitting back into my pre-baby jeans by eh-hem December(of last year) has long been since let go of, I'm beginning to accept the fact that in all reality my hips will probably never again be that size (boo). So I'm needing a pair of jeans of two. Probably just one for now. But here is where my problem begins. I've become a snob. Sure I could go to Target or Old Navy and buy a pair of cheap, cute-ish jeans, but they just don't ever fit right. Last year after a lot of tedious catalog work for a darling but overly-priced (at least for my two penny pinching fingers) boutique, I built up enough store credit to buy not one, but count 'em two pairs of yummy, delicious, fit-you-like-a-glove jeans. A friend told me I can find these on Ebay. But I'm still sort of weary of Ebay. Sure it's great for baby toys, or buying vintage children's bed sheets for I dunno, a project in the making perhaps?, but for clothes? I just have a hard time plunking down money on something I can't return or try on. But I search for some anyways. What's the harm in looking?

Ugh. Stupid Ebay.

And hour later and I'm still scouring through page after page of jeans. Light ones, Dark ones, Ugly ones, Chic ones. Some are tempting. Some are WAY over priced. But there were a few that I clicked "watch this item" on. Then when I went back through my favorites I narrowed it down to a pair of capris and beautiful, medium wash, A-pocket pair. For some reason I love me some A-pockets. They're still relatively cheap and I think what the heck, bid low, and come back right before the time expires tomorrow to reevaluate. So I bid low. Already outbid. Stink. Bid low again. Still outbid. I keep upping my bid until I realize, wait, even if I were to get this I don't want to spend that much! Thankfully I caught myself in time.

You see, with Ebay, it's not so much the winning as it is not losing. What is it that creates this monster of I can't Lose this that gets your adrenaline pumping and your hidden competitive demon to rise up and rear it's ugly head? Not to mention spend way more than you originally intended? Ugh.

All for stupid jeans.
Stupid beautiful jeans.

7 comments:

Home2K9 Pack Leader said...

Jeans are impossible! I give up and buy cheap ones and then get mad when they fall apart. Good luck!!!

Eliza said...

Yeah, I can NEVER buy online unless it's a brand I already know and love. Jeans are just to personal that way.

My sad story is that I had been saving a pair of jeans that I told myself I would fit into again. I LOVED them! In December, I put them on and they were a littl snug...so I did some squats to loosen up the fabric. Now they have a big rip in the rear pocket...completely unwearable. I'm still trying to find another pair somewhere.

mrs schienbein said...

Oh no! If Ebay is evil, then I'm the devil for suggesting it! I'm so sorry!

And thank you for posting this...it reminded me that I have a pair of way-too-small-for-me-but-slightly-more-than-used-from-when-I-used-to-be-that-small-cutie-cute-jeans for you that need to be dropped in the mail. Maybe they can tie you over until you find a great pair for yourself!!!

Lydia said...

Hey, try zafu.com. I read about it in my RealSimple magazine and looked through it today. I haven't bought jeans based on their recommendation, but it might give you a good start to find jeans you like.

Good luck!

Excellent Parent said...

i agree E-bay is not only addicting it is evil and shows you other people have way more money than you and they should go to that boutique so you can buy these things at the pice you can afford!

Anyways, thankyou, we are excitted. I would love a girl, however I dont want this little one to be a boy and him to feel like "he was meant to be the girl" we well be blessed with either, i mean its 100% of what God wants it to be so who can argue with that? It always been my dream to have two boys and a girl, so we well see if thats Gods dream or if its only mine! We love him or her tho, no matter what!

Talia said...

SHOP VICTORIOUSLY! right? Isn't that what it's all about?

I hate hate hate shopping for jeans. They are my least favorite thing in the world to try to find. I'm beginning to think it is so worth it to spend a little more on a really nice pair... as of now, I STILL don't have a pair that I just love. They're all just eh-ok. And that is because I'm cheap. Grrr.

I hope you find some! :)

said...

the worst jeans are the ones that have like new york city buildings like spray painted or something onto them with like rhinestones and leather drawstrings and beads