I love my dog. I love my dog. I do. I really do.
And pre-baby she was my darling, my sweetheart. I couldn't wait to come home from work everyday to see her come running through the house, her face all smile-y. She was my dear, dear first child. I just knew that when I had a baby it wouldn't change. I loved her that much. I remember reading this post and scoffing, judging if you will. That won't be me. My puppy will never be replaced. I'll never love her less.
Then I had a baby.
And sadly, things changed. Because she was so well behaved before Henry. And then suddenly, when she wasn't my whole world, she stopped behaving. She didn't mind me. And when I would get frustrated at a crying baby that I didn't know what to do with, I would lash out at my first child, because she knew better. Don't misread this, I never spanked her, I would just yell at her. Which made me guilty.
And then I remember that post. And I cringed.
It's true. Your dogs or animals are the loves of your lives. They teach you how to parent, how to love so deeply. But once your kids come along, it does change.
And I know all you pet mommies are out there reading this are judging me, swearing it will never happen to you.
But it will. I promise. You will still love your dogs. I do. But it is a different love.
And while Roxie will always be my "first" baby,
and I will always love her,
she is now,
sadly,
a dog.

10 comments:
heeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa. you are so brave for writing this. i can only imagine some your photog friends reading this and burning your blog:) i totally understand. Olive was my complete life before Finn came along. I scorned anyone who would say anything otherwise. I still will always adore her, but...i cannot even finish my sentence because I am not as bold as you.
I'm sad for that day coming! When we picked out our kittens, we chose two because we knew that after baby, we wouldn't have time/energy to love on them as much. I'm hoping it helps. But my animals are my babies, and it will be sad when they are relegated to the "pets" category. I thought it wouldn't happen to me, too, but I've known a few animal lovers who've had babies recently, so I've seen it happen to even the most unlikely.
I said the same things pre-baby...and except for the first few weeks, I've been able to keep our puppies as "babies". The first few weeks I would be frustrated with something else and yell at the dogs. And we have changed how much we put up with -- no more encouraged harrassment and barking at the neighbor's cat, no more looking for other animals from the nursery window. And since there's always a real baby on my lap, Lucy gets pushed aside.
BUT, Lucy still sleeps in bed with us, and they still get their nightly walk with The Colonel. And I'm trying to give them some attention as soon as I walk in the door. And I still love them the same...there's just not as much time for them anymore. Poor babies!
I look at it in a positive way. I love my dog and cat immensely; love to play with them, come home to them, be their mom, etc. How lucky are my (future) children, that I'll love them even more! Nobody's getting shafted, there's enough love for everyone in my heart.
OMG! I'm so scared for this to happen. Clearly, Kyle and I are obsessed with our little dog Rocco... we don't hide the fact that he is our "child"... but everybody tells us that when we have kids "that will all change." I'm still holding onto hope that it doesn't... but lets be honest, I'm sure it will. However Rocco is such a high maintanence dog, I don't know if he'll allow us to give him less attention. The main thing I see changing is where he sleeps. Right now its on our bed but he snors soooo loud that I need to use earplugs... which isn't going to happen when I've got a baby crying down the hall. So THAT is going to change for sure.
That last picture of Rosie next to all of Henry's toys is hilarious. Mostely b/c I can see that being Rocco someday. Bored and pouting.
Oh, how I totally relate to this. Our dogs went from being my pride and joy... constantly in the house, slept in our room, taken to the doctor with the slightest hint that something was wrong, you know how it goes. I got upset when my mom told me things would changed once Braden was here. And boy was she right. Not only do they rarely come in anymore (I can't handle dog hair near Braden's mouth) but they barely even get pet by me (I feel horrible for saying that). Luckily my husband gives them some attention everyday. My hope is that when Braden is walking and not crawling that they can come back inside more. We'll see though. Your little Roxie sure is cute!
Thank you for being brave enough to say so much - I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I never got so many anonymous horrible trolls as I did on that post.
Psst...if/when Roxie starts loving Henry the way you do, you'll find a whole new level of affection for her.
Congrats on your son. He's beautiful.
I can totally understand where you're coming from. Nala would get on the couch when I was feeding Hudson and lie down as close to me as she possibly could...because she wanted to be on my lap but the "other puppy" was there. She had some serious dog depression for awhile, but she is getting better. I do still feel really guilty sometimes when I'll come home and she'll be so happy to see me and I have to ignore her because Hudson needs something. We try hard to take her for a walk everyday and give her love.
We've never had to make that transition from pet parents to real parents, but I can still appreciate this post, having so many friends who were and still are pet mommies and daddies. Love your take on it.
The picture of Roxie in bed with the bear is great. I showed Emma and told her that Roxie didn't like the bear napping in his bed and she said "well, that's ok. The bear can get up now". So there ya go. :)
ahhhhhh She is so sweet. and yes, I do love being a puppy mom so much and I know that will change but Max is my current son. : )
Post a Comment