Sunday, June 22, 2008

London Calling

Colleen called me Saturday morning.
I had been out of the shower all of two minutes.
My hair was still dripping, my teeth not brushed.

"Oh my gosh Lorie I found something!"

She told me what it was and I squealed.

Scott knows that squeal all too well. The squeal he can't deny and that he knows will cost him money.

She sent me a picture on my phone. I squealed again. I got directions from the yard sale host, grabbed a Benjamin from my secret stash and out the door I flew.

The yard sale was a mere blocks away.

I pulled up as Colleen and her posse were about to pull away.

"You can talk her down Lorie, it's broken."

After ten minutes with needle nose pliers and a bent coat hanger the door came open.
A single crack on one shelf and in need of a replacement handle. Other than that, perfection.
And I scoured that sucker from top to bottom. I just couldn't bring home one more piece of furniture or do-dah that would require Scott or I to fix-paint-modify etc.

But it was perfection. I handed over my Benjamin. Successfully talking her down fifty dollars from her original price.

A quick trip to borrow a truck (Thank you Mark!) and it was home.
To be rubbed down with lemon oil and each individual pane cleaned.
It took me an entire roll of paper towels.

It was well worth it.


Now to fill it with crap!

And I promise, tomorrow I will get back to my love story, for those of you who still care.

14 comments:

See Sherm Blog said...

Now that is what I call "a find!" Sweet piece! I need a yard sale scout like Colleen. Heck... I need places in Temecula that have decent yard sales. All we get are empty cd jewel cases... and broken shelves. Bleh.

Barbie said...

Ummm...and worth every penny! SCORE! What a find!

Home2K9 Pack Leader said...

Congratulations! Colleen S. is right, need cooler sales in our area too- then a scout would be useful! That's a great find and I wish you many happy hours dusting your glass shelves and arranging your tchotchke's! Score.

anna joy said...

sooooo cute! and YES I CARE GET BACK TO THE STORY. p.p.s i'm soooooo excited about july 3 & 4! WOOP WOOP!

Cheeziemommie said...

OH
MY
WORD

Congratulations girl! Even my husband's jaw dropped!

Rachel V said...

Very fun, Lorie! It looks great in your home. :) I'm seeing pictures in there...

The Norvells said...

Um....I care ALOT!!!!! I have been checking every day to read your story. I decided to do the same thing with our "story" to make sure neither of us forget it either. Bring back the story!

Lydia said...

That is SO awesome! Oh my gosh! We have lots of garage sales around here, but I never go. I really should!

Kate said...

Oooooh, SO JEALOUS!! What an amazing find! We don't have things nearly as cool as that at the yard sales here!

carol grams said...

I think I have an extra Harrod's ornament to hang in yours...maybe a tin as well!! LOL!! for all those reading, Lorie couldn't wait for me to go to the 'bye n bye' to get my red one!!LOL!!!!!

themurphys said...

wait a second. this thing is UNREAL! so jealous!

Megan Tabangcora said...

I got a mention!!!!!!! So glad you came home with it. I love it.

Talia said...

It's too bad jealousy isn't really a good thing, because I'm feelin' it over here. :) WHAT A FIND! It is perfect for you and I love it in your home.
And now I really really want to go yard-saling. It's been far too long. Although I think finds like these are rare...

Lindsey Woodland said...

OMG, I am sooo jealous!!!