Monday, June 23, 2008

Part Eight: Ringzilla

After Scott gave me the, I want to marry you sooner than later talk, I did what any respectable, young, in-love girl would do.

I drove him nuts.

The way Scott tells it, from then on it was all I could ever talk about, wondering, begging even, when we were going to get engaged.

I don’t quite recall that, but who really wants to admit to their own shortcomings?

I do remember quite a lot going on all at the same time. I was given the opportunity to move to SLO in the fall to live with a childhood friend and several of her friends. I needed to know whether Scott thought I should move in the fall or wait until we got married. I bought my first car. And I was planning my first solo European vacation and I really wanted to go to Europe engaged.

Maybe that translates to asking about an engagement a lot, but I maintain it was because there was a lot riding on being engaged or not. At least I like to think so.

We never looked at rings together. I worked at Longs Drug Store at the time. It’s like a Walgreens, or a Rite-Aid, but way better. At least back then it was. And in the cosmetics department they had cheap costume jewelry and I would often show him rings I liked. I also knew I liked Colleen’s princess-cut ring. But I was so young, I didn’t really know much about diamonds or what I really wanted. All I know, is day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, I grew impatient. How dare he say he wants to marry me by the end of year and then not propose the very next minute? You can’t string a girl a long. It’s just not fair.

Says the girl who was quickly becoming a monster.

Several weeks went by and my dad’s birthday came along. Scott said he couldn’t come in to town because of work. And I was bummed. How much more fun to torture someone with unending persistence then in person? The afternoon of his party the phone rang and it was Scott. He apologized once again that he couldn’t be there for the party that night. I said I understood but was sad none the less. Then the doorbell rang and my heart froze.

“Maybe you should answer that” he said.

I hung up on him and went running for the door. And there he stood, cell phone in hand, looking smug and rather proud of himself. He had been in town all day, but had lied and said he had just got into town. And I believed him. He had had a busy morning; he took my dad to breakfast to ask his permission. He had gone to the jewelers with his mom. And I was blissfully unaware. I was just so happy to have my man in town for the weekend.

At this point I must interject something. And solely because it needs to be told, but sadly, I have no recollection of when it actually happened, but it was so gosh darn romantic that I just have to share it. For extra romantic mushy-gushy love story sake I’ll say it happened the morning after my dad’s party. But it very well could have been way before. Or way after. I consulted Scott, and we're about 85% sure it did in fact happen this same weekend.

At the time, our favorite TV show was a little show called Ed. About the bowing alley lawyer and his cast of random employees and friends and the love of his life Carol Vessey played by Julie Bowen, the Neutrogena girl. Oh and Justin Long as the loveable perfectly enduring geeky Warren Cheswick, back before he was the Mac guy and dating Drew Barrymore. I digress.

In one of the first episodes, Carol breaks up with her live-in fiancĂ© because she couldn’t throw a waffle at him. They were having breakfast and he asked for a waffle and she wanted to throw it at him but just couldn’t. He wasn’t that kind of guy. After recounting the story to Ed, she awoke the next morning to Ed, standing below her bedroom window, chucking frozen waffles at her window. How she managed to not marry him that very day I don’t know. Is there anything more romantic than waffles being thrown at you? She went on to try to marry Dennis Martino only to be wooed several more times and finally successfully by Ed.

Scott loved that show. I remember getting in trouble once because I called him during the middle of it. If he was working, I would tape it, (remember taping things? Like on VCR?) and we would watch it when he came in town. We loved the quirky humor, the bold, silly, romantic gestures of Ed and I personally wanted every coat Carol Vessey owned.

So the morning after my dad’s party I awoke to the oddest sound. I peaked out my window. And there was Scott; surrounded by boxes of frozen waffles, throwing them at my window. My roof was covered in frozen waffles. While this might be the weirdest thing ever, I was overwhelmed with the gesture and ran downstairs and out on to the lawn to kiss my prince charming, surrounded by Eggos. What geeks we were. Geeks in love.

11 comments:

Megan Tabangcora said...

I LOVE ED!!! And miss it so much, I remember going to the beach to the boys house and watching hours upon hours of old taped episodes. I feel like it has been forgotten, so sad.


Oh, and, I too did covet every coat in Mrs Vessey's closet.

Amy said...

umm...we still tape shows. on a VCR. we have no tivo. we are old school.

i like the waffle thing. very cute.

Olive Oyl said...

OMG. Lorie. I never knew about the waffle thing. My jaw is dropping right now because Mark came to my house at like 2am after a fight we had just weeks before our wedding... I had been driving around all night just trying to let off steam, figure things out, and get my mind straight. And, of course, ignoring his 287 phone calls on my cell phone. When I got home, he was waiting there, in his car, parked on the street. As I sat in my car in the driveway, unsure of what I should do, he started pelting my car with waffles. I opened my door, I'm sure to scold him for wasting hard-earned money on frozen waffles, but I never got a word out. He started telling me the story about the show, and Ed, and went on about no matter our differences or our stubborness or anything that was going on in our lives, I was made for him... I was just that kind of girl.

Not to take away from your story, I just was gasping that someone else in the world would know anything about throwing waffles at the one you love. :)

Oh, and isn't it a REQUIREMENT to pester the man you love for a ring every second after he mentions wanting to marry you?!

lorieloo said...

AWWWW Cece I never knew you got waffled! That is so sweet!!=)

Our boys, got love the originality, even if it was from a show=)

bandofbrothers said...

I LOOOOVED Ed. We need us an Ed marathon. Seriously they could have strung along Ed and Carol 4-ever and I would have been glued to the screen.

But sadly, I have never been waffled:(

Does it count that I frequently wolf down 5 frozen waffles a day?? I wanna be in the frozen waffle club!!!

Sara said...

Come tell my girls your waffle stories! They'll love it and look at their breakfast in a whole new way!

I miss Ed. There is just nothing that compares.

Talia said...

lol... "waffled"! That is so great. I love it, just love it.

I so remember that show! I never got to watch much of it, but now reading your thoughts on it, I wish I had.

YAY, I am so glad we're getting to the proposal and wedding part. I've been anxiously waiting. Not that all your posts haven't been wonderful and entertaining, but I cannot wait to hear about this part. I've never even seen a picture from your wedding, I don't think!

Home Sweet Sarah said...

Ringzilla, hahaha! I hear that! As Chris puts it, I "jammed that ring on my finger" when he asked me to marry him. I was a teensy bit excited :-D

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

Aw, I miss Ed. What a romantic husband you've got! So cute!

Barbie said...

Hilarious! Can't wait for the next chapter!

Oh and the boy and his new tricks are TOO cute!

said...

hahah michael ian black