"Hey sis I have something for you, and it's kind of big."
I hesitate. In my head I'm thinking, okay good big or bad big?
"Okay, whats up?" I ask, sort of nervous.
"Well Mike Larson called me today and asked if I could shoot with him tomorrow in Carmel. I told him I couldn't cause I'm here in Chicago, but I threw out your name and he asked me to ask if you want to go shoot with him."
I gulp.
Um, Mike Freaking Larson? Are you kidding me?
I was jealous enough when David met him a few weeks back through a mutual friend.
I was even more jealous when he told David he'd call him to come shoot with him.
I mean, I would jump at an opportunity to shoot with someone of that caliber. But I'm just not there. I'm married. And I have a baby. And while photography is my job and definitely a passion, it has to take a back seat. It can't be my primary focus. And as frustrating as that is at times, I wouldn't trade experiences like that for memories with my son and husband that I can't get back.
"Wow David, that's amazing, thanks for giving him my name, but I can't. I have Henry and I said I'd babysit Sam all day tomorrow. But wow, that would be cool. I have a wedding on Saturday and that's a lot of travel and very little sleep for someone like me. But wow, thanks bro."
We hang up. I wallow in self-pity for several seconds and then move on.
On the ride home I get a phone call from a friend. She relayed news to me that I didn't want to hear. I couldn't even speak to her. I was devastated.
I drove home in silence.
I walked in the door and handed my son to Scott and said, "hug him extra tight today, not everyone is fortunate enough to have a baby." Scott's face fell and he buried his face in Henry's neck, understanding who and what I was talking about without me actually having to say it out loud. We sort of talked about it for the next half hour as I tried to occupy my hands with dinner in hopes of distracting me from the sadness. Then I remembered David's call and laughing told him about it and how cool it would have been if I could have gone and done the shoot with Mike.
Scott looked at me bewildered.
"Why can't you?"
"Because babe, it's tomorrow, in Carmel, and I have Henry and Sam."
"So I can take a day off work."
My heart might have skipped a beat at this point.
"Seriously?"
"Seriously."
I instantly picked up the phone to talk with Christie about the specifics of watching Sam. I told her that maybe it would end up being Scott?
I hung up and called my brother. No answer. I called my mom (cause they're together in Chicago) no answer. I call a friend who would have Mike's number. No answer, but I left a message. I jumped on the internet and started searching for a direct number, trying to get in contact with Mike. By now it's 6:00pm, most likely too late, but still, I press on. The friend calls me back and gives me his number. I go in the other room (as to escape the whining, teethingbaby) and dial the number. No answer.
arg.
But I leave a message. And that was that. I figured it's over, no big deal. Regardless of if I ever hear from him, I was floored. Floored by Scott. Overwhelmed by his support. His unfailing accountability and encouragement. Not many men would take a day off work to watch the baby so their wife can drive four hours away to hang out with some guy they've never met, to shoot a wedding and turn around and drive four hours home. And did I mention that I have a weddingon Saturday? So that would actually mean Scott would have two solid days at home with Henry?
An hour laterish my phone rings. I my heart freezes and when I see the number I run to the other room saying "omigoshomigoshomigosh" until I answer it and then I totally try and act cool. Cause I'm so cool right? ahem, don't answer that.
As of right now it's still undecided if I'll go. Mike said he'd call me in the morning. He's waiting on another guy as well and it just depends on what works out best for him. Either way, how cool that I even got a call back? That I even got this opportunity? That I have a husband so willing to let me do this???
I don't deserve this man. I don't. He is so good to me and I just don't deserve it.
But isn't that what unconditional love is? Loving someone at their best, at their worst, and everything in between? Do I do as good a job loving him as he does loving me? I don't know. But I know I'm going to try harder. Because this man, the father of my child, the other part of me, loves me. And I am a blessed woman because of him.
9 comments:
I LOVE how you turn all those amazing things into praising your husband. Scott is so blessed to have you! =)
I hope it all works out...and that you get enough sleep.
Love the paci picture!
okay, so I know Scott is an amazing man. I may know this more than most people. And while it is so truly awesome that he would sacrifice his time for you in this way, maybe you don't quite realize how amazing YOU are. How lucky HE is to have you. How "sacrificing" a day from work to spend time with his precious son to give you an opportunity to pursue your passion isn't so much "sacrificing" as much as it is a privilege.
But kudos to Scotty for being a wonderful husband...and kudos to you for unexpected opportunities!
Thanks Lorie. I got teary eyed hearing you compliment my boy. So often we girls/women complain about our men if they don't meet our every expectation. Deep down we know they can never be that perfect nor can we. I know Scott loves you so much.
Are you two both crazy! You don't get in a car and drive 8 hours in one day for a photo shoot. Don't worry me crazy on my last Friday before I go back to work. Love you.
If you do go, have a great time! and enjoy the drive : /
You know, something tells me someday YOU'RE going to be that photographer people are giddy to work with. And I'm impressed with both you and Scott! He knows you and your dreams well.
I hope you got to go on the shoot! But if not, you're right-- it was still an amazing thing to have happen, and it is a wonderful testament to what a great hubby you have.
I must agree with the others and say that YOU too are an amazing woman and wife. I think marriage is all about just what you demonstrated with this post-- the give and take, the mutual love and support, the unconditional love. Thanks for being such a great wifely example in your gratitude to Scott.
I can't wait to see the amazing pictures that you produce this weekend! :)
I agree with Megan, BTW!
And I think you are both so blessed to have each other. This is a really dear testimony to your love.
hahahaha you're so cute. mikes just my stinky ol brother in law- you're so weird! lololol
Post a Comment