Saturday, April 18, 2009

dude.

I'm aching to ride on a jet plane. To pull up to the airport and load our baggage and stand in security check lines, with the hopeful anticipation of an adventure on the other side. Maybe it's because I'm pregnant, and I know it'll be awhile before we are able to leave two children behind/afford to go on an extravagant trip. Maybe it's because I had always wanted to plan a big trip for Scott's 30th birthday/our 7 year anniversary. I wanted to kill the stereotype of the Seven Year Itch and have a fabulous vacation with my love to prove it. I just like to plan. (Shocker. #13)

Then the bug gets worse. Cause I stumble on blogs like this.

And I find air fare for less than $200 a piece.

And I start planning in my head.

And calculating in my head.

We could go to New York for a week for $1000.

Holy crap. We spent more than double that last time.

Then reality hits me.

I'll be pregnant.

And if I could work that much/save that much in the next month, I need to put it towards like 14 other things.
Lens.
Hospital/Doctor bills.
Backyard.
big boy room.
desk for when we transfer our office into our room this summer (blerg).

And then I'm reminded why being an adult sucks. Cause we don't get to jump on a jet plane at the drop of a hat.
We have bills and responsibilities. Blerg.

But being an adult doesn't mean we can't dream.

And so dream I will. Of tiny air plane pillows and views from the windows so high up. Crappy air plane peanuts and mediocre movies. And sitting side by side with my best friend, holding his hand as we soar into the unknown adventures yet to be had together.

Then it hits me. We have so many adventures lying ahead.

Like having a backyard like real grown ups.
Like having a second child.
Like working together to decorate our sons room.
Creating branding and website details for my/our business.

Minus the lack of leg room and having to climb over people to pee.

And I am excited.

9 comments:

Olive Oyl said...

I LOVE PLANNING. I will join you in planning. Because as much as I'd love to go to NYC this Christmas... I think it will have to wait until next year. My little coin jar of savings just isn't filling up fast enough!

I'm sort of worried that by the time we actually save up the money to go, I'll have let Popeye talk me into going to Mexico again. Of course, laying around on the beach having little ladies bring you fruity drinks and delicious chips and gauc isn't a horrid thought. But oh, I'd just love to make it to the East Coast again before retirement when I'm going for the Fall Foliage tours!

Cheeziemommie said...

That apartment is TOO DIE FOR! Gah!

I love to read what you write. Very inspiring.

Being a grown up does have its ups and downs. But trust me, having 2 babes is a zany adventure of its own! Buckle up lady! :)

bandofbrothers said...

why don't you go on a cruise to somalia so you could get raided by pirates? sounds very exciting to me. i watched 20/20 last night.

carol grams said...

did you SEE where that apt was located? that frightens me!!! planning dreaming fanagaling...love that !! You do have at least one free nite at the beach...you need to cash that in!

molly june. said...

dude. i saw that same place on rockstar diaries a couple days ago & was dreaming to go there too!! let's dream together! me & you? a bicycle built for two? maybe one day :) ha. love you friend.

Nathan and Nicole said...

Hate to break it to you girl, but you have to pay for each bag you check and each beverage you drink on an airplane now. I know... SKYWAY ROBBERY! Depending on the airline, it's like $15 a bag and $2 per drink. Water may be free... but not for long. We'll be in Bak-o next Wednesday night through Sunday morning. When am I going to meet you for Dewar's, get June Bug's blanket, and get my picture taken for your HOT blog? :)

Mommy Diffee said...

***sigh*** This has been quite the topic of conversation around my house ... I have been begging to go to Italy for my graduation ... well that is this Saturday and there is no Italy trip in our near future. I want an adventure SO BAD! And Pismo is just not going to cut it =)

So for now I will just keep planning my Italy trip and printing off maps for Ryan to see where all we are going to be making pit stops =)

SOMEDAY!

MEGAN said...

I love your positive outlook!

Talia said...

very responsible of you, my dear :) Way to be positive and focus on the blessings!! I find myself having to do that all the time, as I'm sure all parents and homeowners do.

but someday, someday, I WILL take off into the sky with just my husband, off on an adventure with just the two of us to enjoy it... and I look forward to that, even while I love where we're at right now. We can always dream... sometimes it what gets us through the rough patches. :)

so excited for you and all your wonderful adventures!