Monday, April 20, 2009

pregnancy is just weird.

It really is. Take "cravings" for example. Why is is suddenly normal to desire something so much that you're willing to fork over money you don't have to buy something that may or may not actually taste as good as your taste buds are convincing your brain it will be. I don't even like Sushi. Every time I have tried it I have been sorely disappointed. So why, pray tell, am I CRAVING sushi? I want sticky rice with yummy sauces and avocado and shrimp. And random other veggies, again smothered in rice and yummy sauces. Um, HIGHLY against the rules of pregnancy seeing as 90% of sushi contains you know, RAW FISH. And when in my life has RAW FISH every even appealed to me? Seriously. So weird. And to make matters worse, I stumbled upon this and just about cried. Because I wanted to try each and everyone of them THAT BAD. I might just have to go to Traders tomorrow and see if I can't find some california rolls. Better yet, maybe after the boy goes down I can fake an excuse to go to the store to get them tonight. Oh and I also want shrimp. Lots and lots of shrimp. Shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic over fettuccine alfredo. Shrimp on the barby. Shrimp shrimp shrimp. Mmmm Shrimp.

Can you tell it's dinner time? Yeah the hamburgers Scott is grilling right now are SO not going to satisfy me after all this.

In other news I felt Wheezy move. I was STOKED. That is my most favorite part of being pregnant. And while towards the end the moving gets uncomfortable and at times even painful (Um, that is mommy's RIB CAGE. thank you.) I LOVE feeling the baby's little movements. It fills me with delight and excitement and eager anticipation. And Saturday morning as I sat working on the computer there it was. The smallest of twitches. I chalked it up to gas. (come on, I'm pregnant. that goes hand in hand with gas) but a few seconds later there it was again. and again. I smiled at Scott. There's Wheezy. There's my little Wheezy. Moving ever so slightly, affirming to his/her mommy that they're in there, growing and developing. I love it. I absolutely love it.

So that's all around here folks Sushi, Shrimp and the tiniest of flutters from Wheezy.

Oh and it's Roxie's Third birthday. Poor girl. Normally she gets a new collar for her birthday. But this year I remembered a month ago and then forgot until, like 4 hours ago. Don't feel too bad for her, I'm sure I won't want to eat my hamburger after all this sushi talk and so she might just get the dinner of a life time to make up for no new collar or even a fun dog treat.

12 comments:

See Sherm Blog said...

Haha. Yes, pregnancy cravings are definitely weird! For me it was "comfort food" like mac and cheese, mc donalds, grilled cheese... anything that was greasey and fattening. I'm jealous you're craving something that is healthy for you. :-)

bandofbrothers said...

whenever i am craving something weird/unhealthy he tells me to eat it, because my body must need it...otherwise i wouldn't be having the craving. sometimes i LOVE his logic. so eat up that raw fish girlfriend!

and yay for wheezy moving. sooooo exciting!

bandofbrothers said...

by he, i mean John. good grief.

themurphys said...

I agree. And being that sushi IS my favorite food of all time, I demand you to to Toro and have the lobster california roll. It is 100%within limits (although by baby # 2, I cheated on practically every no-no). California rolls smothered with COOKED lobster in some super yummy sweet sauce. It is to DIE FOR! GO, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lorieloo said...

okay jenn you have to go with me. I have NO idea what to order, and these sushi rolls from trader's that I'm eating right now are NOT cutting it.

Rach said...

Lorie,
You are feeling the little one move?!! Oh, that is so exciting. Seeing as how we have the very same due date, I'm excited to think that I might start feeling such movement sometime soon, too. I honestly can't remember at what point I felt Little Buddy move when I was pregnant with him. I thought it was around 4 months, but I remember also being totally shocked at the 20 week ultrasound that Little Buddy was moving all around and doing summersaults and I didn't even feel it happening. I like that I can kinda use your experiences this time around to remind me of what is normal at this stage. Thanks for being my due date buddy! he he

Lydia said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROXIE!!

Just Jiff said...

I had strange pregnancy cravings. I once downed almost the whole jar of juice from the pickle jar. Just wanted the juice. And lots of it. Weird. Of course now Bayley loves pickles. :)

And I LOVE the sushi tutorial! Thanks! I am going to have to try to make some California rolls. I LOVE them! Don't know where I'll get the Krab or Japanese cucumber....but I'll try. :)

Emily Faulknor said...

Wow, that must be an awesome feeling to feel your little baby moving. Enjoy every moment Lorie. And why are you calling the baby Wheezy now?

Barbie said...

Pregnancy is a wierd thing...especially the cravings. But, hey, I'd rather have cravings than all around nausea. Glad your feeling like eating something...even if it is sushi.

IndianaJones said...

yet another reason to come visit us in Seattle. We live upstairs from the BEST sushi I have ever had and that is saying a lot as it is my favorite food and I eat it every where (well everywhere that it seems logical that good fresh fish is available, if you know what i mean). I did steer clear of the raw when I was preggo but there is still a ton of tasty sushi options with out it.
Happy Day Roxie and Happy day to you feeling that wee one! I love it:)
PS
oddly enough my word verification on this post is "miso" ...good thing I had sushi for lunch today or else I'd probably have to run downstairs and get some right this second!

themurphys said...

I'm down baby! (And you too! :)) I'm loving that this kid is going to be a sushi guru!