Having, showing, receiving Grace?
Nothing you do will be perfect, nothing they do will be either. But accepting that reality and persevering with a smile on your face?
Grace.
Knowing that your Heavenly Father, who intimately knows the very depth of your heart and soul, will give you no more than you can handle?
Grace.
Loving, accepting, enjoying the good with the bad?
Grace.
Ever since I started in this business of documenting peoples lives through my lens, I've struggled with finding my voice. I love and have loved so many potential avenues it could lead me down. But it really wasn't until I became a mother that I found deep within myself, my very own voice. I learned it wasn't about having consistently new and fabulous locations or amazing outfits with coordinating hair bows and accessories. It wasn't about booking the most jobs. It became very clear (over the whole course of his life, not instantaneously, unfortunately. But when does growing up every happen immediately?) that the thing most dear to me was my family. My husband. My son. Those sweet, crazy, chaotic, exhausting, frustrating, satisfying moments of being a parent and developing into a family. There is something very sweet to me now, to be welcomed into someones home to capture the here and now. The art project sprinkled all over the kitchen table, the dirty dinner dishes in the sink, the ring around the tub. And the constant happenings that seem to overwhelm your every day suddenly being documented forever. It's easy in each stage of our childrens life to wish it away, or to spend all our time anticipating the next step without enjoying the current milestone.
Maybe it's the hormones that are making me cry as I write this. Maybe it's being overwhelmed and equally excited about what our family will become this fall. Maybe it's that I have such a deep love, respect, and awe of my Aunt. She was always a friend to me. Even when I was the pimply teenager talking about boys, or making her listen to Jewel song after Jewel song. We would never have guessed that when I stood up beside her as a junior bridesmaid(in puffy black and red and polka dotted taffeta!) almost 15 years ago that here we would be having children the same time. Her second and my first even share a birthday (though they're a year apart).
Her life was flipped upside down when her second child was 9 months old. She discovered she was pregnant. She was excited, it was wanted, but nothing could prepare her for the surprise twist that there would be TWO blessings on the way. And after being in girly land for four years, to all of a sudden switch gears and welcome not one, but TWO bouncy BOYS.
Grace.
She is full of grace.
Her days are hectic. Frazzled. Maddie, almost 6, has to get to kindergarten. Claire a ball of unending energy, almost 3. Nathan (the first and only walker of the two) and Jonathan, 13 months. There is dinner to make, a house to keep clean, kids to feed and to get down to naps. Diapers to change, awanas, biblestudies, MOPS.
Full of Grace.
Don't misunderstand me. She is not perfect. Not even close. But to take it all in stride, rejoicing in what the Lord has given instead of what He has not.
Grace.
Going over the pictures we took last week I can't stop crying. Crying tears of joy. Tears of thanksgiving. Tears. Lots and lots of tears.
Monica. I respect you more than you know. And love you even more. Happy late Mothers day. And birthday too!












9 comments:
makes me have tears as well...she truyly is amazing...
More hormones to add to the mix! I'm crying about what you wrote too.
i cry over complete strangers pics sometimes too (okay, all the time)...you can just tell by their expressions, the true joy that comes with the chaos in a family.
your aunt deserves a metal! i can barely hold myself together with 2, let alone 4! what a sweet family! i need more grace. so much more. anyhoo, beautiful pics! you've definitely perfected your craft! xo.
I can't believe how big those kids are!! As for your voice sis...I think you've definitely found it...Weddings are fun, but this is where you shine, wrapped up in the middle of a families life. Capturing those moments so many moms miss with the point and shoots. They're beautiful!! The lighting is incredible, and that last picture of them is moving!! You did such a great job capturing who they are individually and as a family. They're all amazing, I'm just lucky to call them family!!
Love ya sis, and super post..
(need to add some testosterone in this post!! Go man hormones!!)
Oh I LOVE this post, but of course I am bias. So beautifully captured. Great light and that last pic of Earl and Monica is stunning. You captured their family beautifully. I LOVE your heart Lorie!!!
Lorie - YOU are truely AMAZING - I'm crying to as I frantically pass out the "blessed goldfish" so I can read your awesome thoughts. You know you need to write and be published - YOU go girl. I am the aunt who doesn't feel very graceful most of the time, just incredibly, undeservingly blessed once again!!THank you for making time for our clan. Earl, Mo & co
these pictures are just so perfectly imperfect and wonderful. I just love the way you capture things! I think your brother is right: this is where you shine the brightest.
your aunt sounds like an amazing woman, and her family is beautiful.
and I LOVE what you wrote about motherhood, friend. Amen.
What a perfect tribute to a beautiful woman...
This post is absolutely perfect, and I couldn't help but tear up over my work computer while reading it. Thank you for writing this, because it it is exactly something I needed to read.
The whole 'grace thing' is not only good to remember when you have kids, but for me, it's a huge part of my marriage. I need to remember to just live in these moments, good or bad, messy or perfect. That's the most important thing.
:)
You are a gem.
Post a Comment