Monday, August 10, 2009

this is me...activating the prayer chain.

I wasn't quite sure I was going to share this. I'm generally a spill-my-guts, heart-on-my-sleeve kind of gal, but this rocked my world. So much in fact I could hardly tell my mom. Let alone the rest of my family. I didn't think I had the strength. I didn't think I could handle it. But after some prayer and reflection I realized I serve a God who's strength is more than sufficient. Whose love is all encompassing and empowering far beyond the limitations we think we have. And I believe in the power of prayer and the power in numbers in prayer. And so this is me, asking for your prayers. Asking you to rally with me and Scott and our family as we enter into (hopefully) the next 10 weeks of this pregnancy.

So baby Wheezy. Wheezy is my tiny little sneeze of a babe. He/she has been my constant little mover and shaker since the ripe week of 12 weeks. I have loved this pregnancy. It's been cake. Really it has. Sure the fatigue kicked my butt and I could do without the heart burn but for the most part it's been pretty smooth sailing. My biggest concern has always been not wanting another c-section and doing what I could to hopefully avoid that outcome again. At our big 22 week ultrasound with all our family crowded into the room, we watched and marveled at God's handiwork as Wheezy moved all over the screen, kicking and making quite a fuss. I loved it. But Wheezy was SO wiggly and because of his/her position they weren't able to scan every thing they needed and so they set up an appointment to check again at 30 weeks. I was secretly very happy my wee babe wasn't cooperating. I love me some ultrasounds.

Last Thursday morning I awoke with a smile. I was going to see Wheezy. Scott couldn't make the appointment because of work and to be honest I was looking forward to having that time to myself, to bask in her/him and me...well and the tech, but you know what I mean. At the last minute I changed my mind. I knew it would make my dad's day to go and I called him and he was sitting there waiting for me with a big smile on his face when I showed up at the appointment. I love my dad so much.

It was (surprisingly) promptly our turn. In we walked giggling and excited like two kids at Christmas, joking about how we were going to find out the sex of the baby and just not tell anybody. Insert humongous laughter here because side note; there are not two people on this planet that are worst secret keepers than me and my dad. We just can't help it. We get excited and want to shout it from the roof tops.

And then there was Wheezy, big enough that her/his little body no longer fit perfectly on the screen. I couldn't immediately identity parts and limbs I used to, but there he/she was. We got a perfect scan and view of a perfect little brain. We looked away at the appropriate times and just marveled over and over. There was Wheezy.

The tech spoke up.

"Well the baby is measuring about 5 days smaller than your due date..."

"Right, it has been all along."

"Yes but now the legs and arms are measuring about 2 weeks behind that."

Instantly my brain thought, I'm having a dwarf (midget? what's the pc term?). I instantly thought of Scott's distant cousin/relative that is person of short stature (how's that? is that better?) and thought that some how, some where, that gene is in his family. And here's the really cool part. I didn't care. Faced with the future of a "physically imperfect" child, I didn't care. I always wondered how I would react to having a child with limitations or a handicap and am relieved that it's true, that a mothers love, loves no differently. And while no, I'm not having a dwarf/midget/person of short stature, I am relieved to know how I might react if I did.

The tech went on.

"And it looks as though you have a double vessel umbilical cord instead of a triple."

"is that okay"

"Yes, usually it just results in a smaller baby. But I've seen it a lot and the babies always end up fine."

"okay good."

And that was it. I paid the bill, spent a moment with my dad oogling our little ultrasound picture, hugged him good bye and went and sat and waited for my doctor's appointment. Within minutes a couple with a NEW little boy (like seriously 5 days old) came and sat down next to me. He was just a little frog, with googling new born eyes and sweet new born coos. I swooned. I got excited. I got REALLY excited. The ultrasound was forgotten, I was anxious to get my hands on my own babe and all of a sudden 10 weeks seemed so long away.

Before long I sat in the doctors office waiting for him to come in. And there he was, in his normal cool, collected, gracious manor. Asked his normal series of questions.

And then he said "Let's talk about your ultrasound"

"Oh, yeah, the baby is really small, is that a problem. Oh, yeah and the umbilical cord thing?"
(I seriously probably sounded like an idiot)

At this point, to be honest, things get a little hazy. He told me it wasn't "no big thing" like the ultrasound tech had made it sound. That it, in fact, was quite a serious thing. He explained that normally an umbilical cord has two arteries and one vein, and ours only had one of each. That while most times the one artery grows larger to make up for the lack of a counterpart, the absence of the second artery can result in a smaller, pre-mature baby and even death.

The wind got sucked out of me.

Death. Death?

I bit my lip and looked down. The words he had just said taking hold of me and sinking in. Tears stung the corner of my eyes but no, I was not going to cry here. Not here. I fought hard, looked up with all the strength I could muster and he went on.

We'll see a specialist in two weeks to determine what measures, if any, need to be taken. Most likely this situation requires careful monitoring. Weekly stress tests and and no less than two more ultrasounds. Because the umbilical cord directly connects to the heart and kidneys they have to carefully monitor their progress to make sure further complications do not occur. Worst case scenario, he said, is inducing labor at 34 weeks. He felt confident to take the baby at 34 weeks.

34 weeks. That was 4 weeks from now.
Inducing labor? Screw that. Cut in me in a thousand pieces if it means getting this baby out safely.

The room started to spin a little and I really stopped listening. I couldn't absorb more. My brain was on overload.

He could tell.

"I know, this is a lot to process right now, but the best thing is to wait and see what the specialist has to say before we come to any of these possible outcomes."

I did my best to organize my thoughts, try and formulate words. We talked about what I needed to do, as far as setting up appointments etc and he said if I had any questions or concerns to call him. He said he'd see me in two weeks and to take my time leaving and then he left. I sat there for a second, again, fighting tears. Not here. Don't cry here. I gathered my stuff, made the necessary appointments and fled. Straight to Scott. Bless his heart I know I had him panicked. I called him on my way to his work, to make sure he'd be able to talk. He was waiting for me in the parking lot when I got there.

Thank God for Scott. For his calm demeanor. As I sobbed in his arms I could feel is heart beating a million miles per hour, but outside he was cool and collected, stroking my hair, letting me cry, dumping all that had happened out there in the parking lot. We sat in the car and talked. He calmed me down. He reminded me that Lord was in control. Always had been, always will be.

It's taken me several days but I'm there. I'm okay. I'm okay with whatever God has in store for me and Wheezy. While the outcome is uncertain, one thing is. That the God of this universe loves us and knows our needs. He has a plan in all of this. We don't always know why he uses the things He does to teach us and refine us, but He is doing both. Constantly.

My mom encouraged me to find a verse to cling to. That when I have moments of weakness, I can repeat it over and over, finding strength in God's word and in His promises. Well I'm a song person. And that night, while I sat at the computer editing, trying to distract myself from the day I heard the most beautiful song by Shane & Shane. It definitely has been my mantra all weekend.

Then yesterday Pastor Jimmy taught from Hebrews. He talked on faith and persevering through the race we call this life. The verse he started out with and resonated with me most was from chapter 11, verse 1. "...Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see...". I loved this. And I awoke this morning being sure in what I hope for, but more importantly being certain of what I can't see and can't control. I can't see the future. I can't know what lies ahead, but I am certain of Who is already there, and Who has it all under control.

So forgive me as I take a vacation from blogging until I know more. I covet your prayers and encouragement.
And if we're family and close friends, forgive me for not being able to tell you individually, this just seemed easier.

50 comments:

Flo Paris said...

OH my goodness...I am so sorry.
I can't even imagine the feelings you must be having to process right now.
May grace and peace surround you and your family, Lorie.

Coco said...

We love you Auntie Rie and are praying for you and little baby Wheezy.

Talia said...

I'm in tears for you, Lorie, because I cannot even imagine hearing all that you did at a doctor's appt, I cannot imagine trying to cope with such fear and uncertainty...
but, you are doing it by God's grace, and you are SO so right to believe as you are. God is in control. Of COURSE I will be praying "without ceasing" for you and Scott and sweet Baby Wheezy. I pray everything WILL be all right, but even more than that I pray that God will sustain you and give you peace no matter what His will.
Just think of all the people who will be praying when they read this-- you and Wheezy are going to be positively surrounded by prayer 24/7. I'm so glad.
Big huge hugs to you, my friend. I love you.

Lisa said...

Definitely praying for you guys and Wheezy! I can't even imagine. And don't feel bad about the blog, the introvert in me would have probably (and did) do the same thing. Sometimes it is easier to just write all out there and take as many breaks in between to cry and figure out how you want to say it.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lorie, my heart sank as I read this. I'm so incredibly sorry that you have to go through this. I am praying for you, for Scott and sweet baby Wheezy.

katygirl said...

i am praying for you Lorie.

bandofbrothers said...

i love you and wheezy more than ever!

precious, precious little thing. and i am so honored to be able to pray around the clock for this sweet baby.

xxooxxoo

autumn said...

I am in tears and my heart aches for you and your sweet baby. You will be in my prayers daily.

Mimi said...

Lorie:

I had already been praying for you when you didn't post a picture right away from your ultrasound the other day. I know that God is in control and will protect you and your sweet Baby Wheezy. We serve an awesome God. You're in my thoughts and prayers!!

Sunny said...

Praying for you and the little wee baby you are carrying, and your family as well. Hugs!

Susan said...

Prayers are coming your way from across the Pacific Ocean in Hawaii. God never gives us more then we can handle! We love you and we'll keep praying.

Kate said...

Oh Lorie. I have tears running down my face as I type this. Please know that I am praying for you and your beautiful family. I KNOW what you are feeling and going thru - if you want to email or talk please feel free to contact me. If not, know that you are in my heart and thoughts through this.

Here is the verse that I claimed as my own when we were going through everything with Gabe:

'When I said,"My foot is slipping," your love O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.' Psalm 94:18

And there is joy to be had daily. No matter what diagnosis, good or bad, or fears we have sneak up on us, there is joy and love daily that He provides us with - and we can continue on.

I don't mean to ramble or overwhelm you, I just want you to know you are not alone in going through something like this.

your sister in Christ,
Kate

molly june. said...

lorie, i am so glad you shared this with us..that is much too great a burden to bear alone! when my girls were in my tummy, they told me all sorts of things..they'd be born retarded, etc. etc., but in those times i had to cling to Jesus, believing that no matter the outcome, He had created my sweet & innocent babies & He had a perfect plan for their lives! our God is SO big & He loves you so much! thank you for the sweet reminder that He is always faithful to us! i will be praying for peace that passes all understanding..for joy in the midst of uncertainty..for protection for little wheezy! i love you!

Barbie said...

Oh Lorie, I'm in tears. I really can't imagine hearing what you had to hear at that appointment. Writing everything out, reading it...just has a way of really sinking in...entering the depths of our soul. Your faith is astounding. And your family, sweet baby Wheezy are in my daily prayers. God IS near..to you and baby Wheezy and with each and every prayer that we are all praying God is strengthing you both! I love you and I'm glad that you've shared this with everyone so that you rest assured that you are overwhelmingly surrounded by prayer.

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

The Mommy heart in me cries out for you, Lorie. I'm praying that God carries Wheezy through this trial with no harm done, that s/he is born perfectly healthy and that your heart can rest. xoxo

*CPA* Su said...

Lorie! You and your family and most importantly that sweet little Wheezy are going to be in my prayers! I am impressed and encouraged by your faith and trust in your Savior! Draw near to Him, my friend, He will ALWAYS see you through!!

P.S. I have that Hebrews verse hanging in my room...it's a great one!

Love you Friend!!

Tristan said...

Praying.

PaulHaus said...

Lorie, Scott and Wheezy we will be praying for all 3 of you.

Unknown said...

Lorie... You guys will be lifted up and carried through this. Justin and I will be praying for protection over baby Wheezy and strength and peace for you and Scott.

Emily Faulknor said...

Oh my dear friend, my lovely cousin, I love you so much. I am so proud of you. I receive everything you have shared and will lift you and Wheezy and your family up faithfully. I love this song and find it completely perfect for you and this situation. God is so good and will carry you through this. He has already given you so much strength through writing this post. I love you, but more importantly God loves you and cares for you and has you in His hands. Mwa!

Jessica's Little Women said...

What a beautiful little face. I can see a little glimpse of Henry in his/her precious features.

We are praying for you, Lorie! May God's goodness sustain you through the weeks of waiting.

themurphys said...

Lorie,
I am on my knees for all of you. I I know God is doing something very mighty and having experienced much pain and joy intermixed know that He will show you something worth all you are going through. I am so proud of how you are dealing with this. You are being used as a faithful servant and He is shining because of YOUR choice to give Him glory. What a beautiful picture of true faith. I love you! Jenn

Unknown said...

Lorie I would love to say something encouraging for you, but you have already said everything I would say and more, you have encouraged me! You are a very special person Lorie and God is going to do something very special with your little family. I am praying constantly for you and your family.

Stephanie said...

lorie- I just started receiving your blog updates on my google reader and this floored me. i looked over at asher and started crying! i feel so much love and pain for you in this time of need and OF COURSE of course will keep you and your family in my prayers. always.

this cant be easy and i am so impressed with your spirit and faithfulness.

love you!

Anna Ingalls said...

We are praying for your whole family and little weezy. Thank you for sharing your heart and your personal trial. Our hearts ache for you. Loves, The Ingalls

Bob said...

My Dearest Lorie...We love you and your family. The first thing that came to me, in my simple faith, is something I carry with me always...Deut. 31:8
Love!
Bob and Heather

Excellent Parent said...

I put this picture up on my blog as a button that will come to your blog!

Alison said...

praying for you, your family, and baby! Don't lose hope! I've heard so many miraculous stories about babies who weren't suppose to make it! Hang in there Wheezy!

Olive Oyl said...

Praying for you and scott... for precious Wheezy... for the doctors and specialists who will be searching for the right course of action.

I love you and your precious bun in the oven, and I'm so thankful for HIS faithfulness in all things!

Mama2 said...

There are no words I can say that are different than everyone else's. "Great is His faithfulness". My precious grandbaby is in God's very sight right now and Wheezy is being created perfectly in His image.
We are so fortunate we have faith to stand on and we KNOW that to be true.

Momma D said...

Lorie, I have been so worried about you this past week. I have been praying for everything to be ok with you and your sweet precious Wheezy.

I know the fear of the unknown you are going through right now. I pray for your strength as you and Scott wait to see the specialist and get some answers.

You are so strong in your faith and you and your little family are loved by so many.

As I read the comments before mine I can almost feel them embracing you in their love and their faith.

I love you. Be strong as you wait for HIS answers.

Sally said...

Lor - you're surrounded by love and prayers, including mine!! Your post was sad and touching and encouraging and brave and FULL of faith. I love you, girl!

David Anderson said...

Daddy, I want to thank you so much for the love and peace you and only you provide!! I thank you that you are our great healer, and stronghold in times of strife in this fallen place. Jesus I want to lift my sister, scott, henry, and little baby wheezy up to right now and ask that you protect and heal them, keep them safe from the attacks of the enemy, put a shield of peace, and faith around them. We thank you that you want us to and our children to be healed, and to be healthy. We thank you that you do heal. I want to thank for the prayers you have already answered, that Lorie and Scott will have peace in you. We know that more prayers will be answered because you are the God who hears our prayers, and listens. Thank you so much father in Jesus precious name!!Amen
Sis I am soo soo soo soo proud of you!! I will never stop praying for you guys. Your family in Texas have our swords drawn as we go into battle with you. Love you so much!!
Bro
(think it's a coincidence that my word verification is the first 5 letters of worship?)

Just Jiff said...

Bless your heart. Pregnancy is scary enough and now you have very scary news. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers. God's miracles are nothing short of just that: a miracle. So hopefully this miracle will bring you a happy, healthy baby. *HUGS*

Nathan and Nicole said...

Sweet Lorie! I love you! I'm praying for you and your whole family, especially Henry as he prepares to be a big brother very soon. Rest in Jesus, friend!

Sara said...

How is it that you are the one giving the encouragement and wisdom?? As we all try to uplift you, know that you are touching those around you with your faith and hope. Little Wheezy is loved. You are loved.

MeganK said...

Lorie...I came to your blog through your MIL's. I just wanted to let you know that you have one more person praying for you. It is so hard when our children have obsticles that are out of our control. Know that you are in HIS sweet hands, with Wheezy. My heart is crying for you. Your faith is amazing and is going to get you through.{{{{Hugs}}}} Megan Kaiser

See Sherm Blog said...

Lorie, I can't imagine how hard this must be. But by posting this, you are just having that many more people praying for your Wheezy. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. *hugs* and love to you all.

The Bertagnoles said...

although we aren't close, know that you will be in our thoughts and prayers. You have blessed our lives through not only your talent but the wonderful person that you are. We will pray for you and your beautiful family! -Tracy, Wendy, and Kaiden

Andrea said...

Lori, your heart is precious, your love for Jesus amazing, your tenderness for your sweet baby unconditional, thanks for sharing, I will be praying for you.

The Norvells said...

Romans 8:28

MAYBELLINE said...

All: You know I had the dream (not MLK's)before you annouced your happy news. My dream of a precious second baby for you will come true. Don't you worry. But you will - so you're normal. Most of us have stories we could share; but yours is most important now. Do what it takes to soothe yourself.

I look forward to meeting Jennifer (or George) really soon.

Scott - This is for you:
http://maybellinemckelvey.blogspot.com/

Liam 'n Augusts NanaSu said...

Lorie, I am in awe of the faith you have in our Lord. I have become so amazed by the miracle of prayer, this will be another. Just know that you, Scott, Henry, and baby Wheezy will be in my prayers. Bless you and your family. Susan

molly june. said...

i know i'm posting again, but i've been reading through your comments & all these people that are crying out to God on your behalf! that & this SONG!!! geez louise..i'm a mess! how have i never heard that before? that is so powerful! i love you!

Jana said...

Lorie & Scott, my heart breaks for you and all you are going through. May God sustain you as you wait on Him. It's obvious how much God is using you, especially now, to show others about His love, mercy, and faithfulness. You and Baby Wheezy are in my prayers. We love you guys!

Bethany said...

Totally praying for you and admiring your faith. I am confident our God does the IMPOSSIBLE, so the possible is like NOTHING for Him. :) He's got this one. Like you said, it's in His hands. And I will keep praying it stays there. :) LOVE YOU GUYS, Bethany

misguidedmommy said...

Oh Lori, I'm thinking of you. Hugs.

Unknown said...

Oh wow..I am praying! Cling to God and his wonderful ways..even when you don't know what they are! This is not easy and I am praying contstanly for him to comfort and guide you and your family!

Eric and Emily said...

Praying for baby Wheezy's health and growth. Also praying for you and Scott to have peace and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy! It was great to see you and Henry!

Emery Jo said...

lorie- i am praying for you and your family through all of this. I recently walked through a VERY similar situation with a friend of mine, whose daughter was ultimately born completely, 100% healthy. I am praying for the same outcome for wheezy! Love you!!