So I bought this twin bed frame at my favorite antique store this week.

And my original plan for the furniture in that room was to paint it all black. But then I found this.

and orange dresser are you kidding me??
But I feel like buying the dresser in black is more of a safe, longer investment. I might hate the orange in a couple of years and black is a little more timeless. And while I ADORE the shade of dark, burnt orange, it might not be the easiest thing to match/coordinate with.
So here we go.
I'm putting it to a vote.
Do I paint the bed black and buy the dresser in black?
Paint the bed orange and buy the black dresser?
Paint the bed black and buy the orange dresser?
Paint the bed orange and buy the orange dresser?
So to sum...
all black, all orange or a mixture of the two.
I'm pleading for your opinions.
And just to sweeten the deal, I'm bribing you. It's been awhile since I've done a give away, and we're entering into that season anyway.
So VOTE!
and all those that vote the direction I end up choosing will be entered into my fall giveaway.
What will you be winning? Well I haven't entirely decided. But I will most likely customize it for the winner. How's that for awesome?
So VOTE and win stuff. It's a win win. I think.
39 comments:
So hard to decide without seeing the room and any stuff you might already have to coordinate- but with my decorating these days I am throwing caution to the wind and going for it so I say ORANGE DRESSER IT IS! You can always repaint right? And then see what you think about the bed- you could do both orange and then just make sure you don't have TOO MUCH orange in the rest of the room except for an occasional accent.
ORANGE dresser. You will not regret that. All black is a big BOOR (as in boring). I've had all black, and it's blah.
black bed and orange dresser - that way the black isnt to bold and you could add orange in with the sheets/comforter....
congrats on your little boy ;)
Orange dresser. It's sweet and the day it isn't, you can paint it. As for the bed, either would do, unless it would be orangwhelming if BOTH were orange (depending on room size and stuff in the room). Kids need bright, I also especially love the burnt orange with redheads ;)
Although I ADORE orange....I'm thinking all black might be better cause it could be more manly later on :)
I'm going to chime in with all orange... because it's fun. I wonder if Henry would have an opinion... of course, if you ask him, he gives it, you don't like it, then he may melt down because you didn't choose his preference. These toddlers, so unpredictable. :-)
Admittedly, I'm a lurker, but the giveaway has drawn me into comment-world.
I vote for the orange dresser and black bed - mixture! The orange is so nifty right now and you can ALWAYS paint it later!
Ok, I think I'm pretty much disagreeing w/ everyone here. I think orange bed and black dresser.
I agree that black is more timeless, and since it seems that it would be easier (I'm ALL about easy) to repaint the bed instead of the dresser - paint the bed the fun color.
Can't wait to see what you decide! =)
before reading all of the comments my gut feeling was orange dresser and paint the bed black. =0)
I say black bed, orange dresser. You could always paint the dresser down the road if you get tired of it - I've repainted several dressers and it's a fairly easy project. I like the idea of mixing it up rather than doing both pieces in one color. Can't wait to see what you decide!
We have that dresser for Ryan's room and it's more red than orange. We love it, in fact I think its my favorite thing in the room. You can come check it out if you want.
I think you should buy the orange dresser and the paint the bed black. Normally I'd say to get the dresser in black and paint the bed orange, because beds are easier to repaint than dressers. But at your stage in life, with a tot and a newborn, you should go with what is easier right. So orange dresser and black bed.
I'm voting orange dresser and orange bed. You can always repaint. It will look fun and there is so much our there to put with it.
Have fun decorating. And it was fun seeing you in Bako. I'll give you a call next time we're in town. Maybe for Elijah's birthday party!
Ooooh! I've going with orange dresser, black bed. :-) SO CUTE!
Found your blog through Jessica Cheatwood....Paint the headboard black...Keep the dresser orange. You can always paint the dresser black down the road, if it becomes "old." :) Add more black pieces throughout the room, and let the orange dresser be something that you pull accents in with.
Black and black. Use accessories to do whatever theme you want.
Is that the dresser from IKEA??? I think it is actually red, but maybe they have orange. I would go with Black and get Orange accents...like an awesome Orange lamp!
BTW, I think I am visiting this antique store, I need a twin bed for Eli and the one I want is still $300 on clearance from JCPENNY! I almost got him one at the peddler's fair, but I wanted wood!
What antique store do you go to?
i'm going with the orange dresser all the way baby! color is always more fun than boring ol' black :) so bed black..dresser orange. never go the safe route! life's too short!
oh, & if i win, i think i should get a free ticket to come see your dresser in person! weeeeeeee!
I'm going to say black bed & dresser - with an orange accent wall. How to you like THAT? :) I would think it would be a lot easier to have his furniture set and ready to go and match whatever color scheme/theme he grows into. Just my 2 cents. Either way, can't wait to see it!!
Ohmahgoogness, this isn't even a question. That orange is beautiful! Orange dresser and black bed 100%!
orange! you can always paint later.
I personally think black bed and black dresser and you can always accessorize in orange. Maybe you could find some cool orange pull knobs for the dresser. And do other accessories in orange?? (I LOVE the idea of an orange accent wall that Kate suggested above!)That way it's easier to change in a few years. I think black always looks sleek and can go with a lot!
As much as I love burnt orange, black and orange are so halloween! blech. go with black and accent with neon green!
Black bed/ Orange Dresser....because the black bed is timeless and can last Henry through high school and when you are sick of the orange dresser you can always paint black in a few years. (which ps- I totally just painted all bedroom furniture black and it looks fabulous if I do say so myself). Love ya and miss ya!
Tough one... we just bought black furniture for the baby's room (trying to be practical for the long term) but for Gianna's room we found a green crib and painted the dressers to match and I love it! I vote to do something fun/different - match the bed paint to the orange dresser and go for it!
Orange dresser, Black bed.
There..it's decided!
Susan G
yikes!! I hate the decisions!!!
I'm thinkin I would go black dresser... and orange head board.
I can't really see the orange dresser in your photo - it looks kinda brown to me.. hmmm.... Maybe I just want it to be like BAM ORANGE and in charge.
I wanna win something!!!! (can i win a coffee date?)
i love reading your blog and have been lurking for a few months now :) not sure if i ever commented before. i do love reading about your family and LOVE your photos!
i do love the orange dresser and black bed like everyone else has said.
yes, I agree, orange dresser and black bed!! That would be so very fun and cute. Also, dressers are a relatively easy thing to paint if you ever feel the need to, whereas a bed is a bit more of a hassle since you have to take it all apart. So black is a bit safer for that, just in case you change it all up someday.
Um, I hope Molly wins and think you should give her exactly what she asked for :) (in fact if I win, that can be my prize too: a ticket for Molly to come see it in person. As long as I can come over and meet her too!!! hehe)
Okay, I am refusing to look at the other comments until I post mine!
I vote for black and black because you can always do cute accents and paint and then you can change things up in a few years when you have to get another twin headboard once Ben needs a big boy room!
But then again, I'm kind of more "safe" when it comes to color...I'm sure whatever you choose will turn out cute!
After reviewing the bedding...I think black or even navy (I know that wasn't an option)for both. The orange just seems so much brighter in the bedding. I'm not a great decorator though and tend to go the safe route. I think if you go neutral it would be super fun to accent in fun colors.
Pick me for the prize and you can hold off till say...January after my baby is born to give me something. :)
Hmmm... tough one. All of Zoe's furniture is black and I love it. I think that a black dresser would be cute with some orange accents.
That being said... I am voting for orange dresser and black bed. (didn't see that coming did ya. lol) I think that the orange dresser would bring in the orange accent that you want without having to add accents that Henry will think are toys. (because he will. ;))
Can't wait to see the room once it is finished!
I vote for black and black...so that whenever you need/want to change the room you don't have to deal with orange furniture. Black is easy!
I would def. buy the dresser in black and paint the bed black. Black pretty much goes with everything and you can change curtains/sheets/etc. without repainting the furniture. Can't wait to see what you decide on
dresser from antique store: orange drawers with silver knobs and paint the body of the dresser grey. kind of makes the dresser look "like" a robot, to match the theme, yet still very modern/vintage.
bed:black
Seems like you like the whole vintage/retro look. Since I was there when it was 1st in style, pick the maple, stained look. THAT is more timeless than black.
Black furniture is what you will tire of.
Absolutely paint the bed orange (cuz you can then change it later if you get tired of it!) and buy the black dresser! I wanna win! :)
I love Swee'Pea's black bed. I think it makes the bedding pop more. And I think the dresser orange would be so fun! I love that he has a brown dresser now and the white crib. I think the bedding you got would look really good against the black bed. Just my two cents! :)
I like Davi's idea for the dresser! I also vote to paint the bed orange. Seriously, how FUN would it be to have an ORANGE bed! I would be rather jealous of Henry, if I'm being honest :D
Also, I'm not choosing black cause I vote for gray being more dominant than black in the big boy room. YAY for robots!
PS You still haven't spilled the beans on the antique store :( and also, did we miss pics of the nursery?
Post a Comment