I knew it would be hard. I knew it would require a lot of patience. I knew it would require a lot of laundry. But I never fully grasped how hard it would be to not eat a friggin' cookie. So my whole giving up sweets? Killing me people.
I purposely bought skittles as the potty bribe as I'm a chocolate girl and skittles are not a huge temptation for me. But pulling out the Famous Amos as a potty reward did me in. I consumed no less than 5 little cookies yesterday. And this morning? Big mug of steaming hot chocolate. I'm realizing that cold turkey is probably not the best route for me.
Also? I never knew I was an emotional eater. Not very pleased that I've become that way.
Yesterday when my patience was stretched and my frustration grew all I could think about was hot cocoa or those stupid famous amos cookies (which btw are not even that good). So I've come to the conclusion that I need to have something, one little thing every few days. So hot cocoa this morning. And it's heavenly.
But this was suppose to be about the potty boy. Yesterday's biggest challenge was just him persistently not wanting to go on the potty. And the first three accidents were on the carpet. (yeah, totally cleaning our carpets when this is all over). The bribes weren't motivating. And I can't quite figure out what the best motivation for Henry is. But finally, after sitting on the potty for close to an hour last night we had success. And it was a double success if you catch my drift.
So far already one accident today, so we need to work on having him communicate with me when he has to go. We'll see how it goes.
I tried to make it fun yesterday, with lots of fun little things to do.
We had never played play dough before and he loved it. Even if he did try and eat it. (several times)

lots of coloring with markers.

legos and the best idea ever from my sil. to play videos on the lap top while he sits on the potty.

this just cracks me up.

daddy keeping us company.
is the potty song still stuck in your head today babe?

potty training is hard work...
17 comments:
OH my goodness. I'm soooo not looking forward to this stage, when Rowan is older.
Hoping Henry gets the hang of it b/c I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you.
But if its any consolation... that picture of him on the potty drinking a sippy cup is HILARIOUS and so cute!
BTW... Love the little table and chairs you have!!
Seriously, the photo with him drinking juice on the potty is TOO MUCH!!! So funny, I love it. I'll be joining you in this journey soon with a newborn too...keep good notes to share! I'm already keeping these in my back pocket for later!
Lorie, this is hilarious!! Your blog is such a treat to follow. Thanks for making "mommy moments" so memorable! Eli is about to turn 2, so we're not at the potty training stage yet. But, I'm taking notes (love the laptop idea!) Thanks again for sharing- and hang in there momma! (oh, have you ever tried turning to healthier sweet treats, made with whole wheat flour/oats and natural sugars like agave nectar, honey or maple syrup? Might be a nice alternative!)
The last post was from Amanda Meneses (not sure why it says About Me! :) )
No sweets at all? I would think that is pretty impossible, for me at least! I am cutting down, but yesterday I did have some cheesecake for my sister's birthday. That's okay...right?? :) Good luck!
I love his pillow behind him...LOL!!!
in the old days...we used to give you guys books to read/look at while you were whiling away your time on the potty! LOL!! love that boy and you!!!
Oh my, you are a brave soul to attempt potty training. I couldn't bear to do it until my boys were over 3! I hope it goes well, and yes, I hear you on the stress/emotional eating. I do it all the time now. Bleh.
I am so not looking forward to this. I was going to try and do this before baby #2 arrives but I just don't think I have the energy. Hope it continues to go well and thanks for the DVD playing tip!
I saw a tv show a year or so back with a doctor talking about potty training for boys vs. girls. Turns out, boys don't have the same sensory mechanism thingamajigs that girls do, so they feel the urge to go way later than girls. So, if a girl feels the urge to go 20 mins before she absolutley can't hold it any longer, a boy feels that same urge only 5 minutes before. Hence more accidents with the little weenies.
So....let that comfort you if it takes a bit longer than you thought :>).
Oh, this doesn't sound fun at all! Although you are getting some super cute pictures out of the deal. I don't blame you at all for going back to the sweets...
Good luck...I hope it gets better!
Your photos of this are priceless! Love them.
Totally off topic, but your new blog layout is REALLY adorable!! I just clicked over to your page and saw it...WAY cute! :)
I love that picture of him on the potty with his juice box. That made my day!
hahahahahahahahahahaha. What a great way to start my morning with these pictures. You can do it, you can you can. I had 4 kids and never had a bed wetter and we potty trained all of them at two years old. You'll be so happy not to be changing a 3 year old's diapers. Oooh, gross.
okay first these pictures are hysterical!
now on to the important stuff
Hersheys Kisses! Trust me. I'm a candy addict, chocolate does me in. Here is the kicker, you keep them in the freezer. Two reasons. Reason one..You can only shove so many chocolates in your mouth when they are rock hard before you just give up. Second, when they are all frozen you can pop one in and walk around letting it slowly warm up and melt and by the time it's done it is totally satisifying.
Some times in times of dier need I'll grab four and walk to the couch, sit down, eat them and calm down. The high point is knowing I am usually to lazy to walk allll the way back to the freezer.
But I promise...just try it.
If the kisses are too tempting, buy a king size hersheys bar, put it in the freezer. When you feel the need go break off a piece and eat away. This makes it slightly better because you can see the chocolate dwindle away. With a bag of kisses you can some times tell yourself you ate less then you did, but when you pull out your hersheys bar and 9/10ths of it are eaten...well there is no denying that you know!
seriously laughed out loud at two of these pictures - henry sitting on the potty drinking a juice box, and that last one in the bed with stuff piled everywhere! this post is hysterical. sorry the potty training is tough stuff! makes me glad i have another year before needing to worry about it...
best of luck, lady! cheers!
Love his marked up little legs in that last picture! Hilarious! Oh and Gray kept wanting his blanket as he sat on the potty (like Henry with his pillow). Could make me just crazy thinking about all those germs so I just kept chanting the goal, "success, success, success" to myself to block out the voice screaming, "gross, gross, gross!!"
Post a Comment