Monday, March 15, 2010

new day.

I wasn't prepared for this big step. I thought I'd have at least another 2 years before pre-school. But my Henry boy has never been big on talking. And even though I can understand him, most people can not. Scott and I were growing increasingly more concerned. And frustrated. And Henry? Very frustrated. How hard to understand and know, but not be able to communicate. After both my nephew and a new buddy all were accepted into a speech program, and knowing that Henry's communication skills were close to the same level as both of them, I made the call. The call that I kept putting off. The call that I thought I wouldn't have to make. And you know what? It was easy. The the paperwork came in the mail. The procrastinator in me didn't even read it. I still didn't believe the ball I threw was going to keep rolling. But then the assessment day came. A teacher, and social worker, and a nurse came to my house. I was nervous. Intimidated. I introduced myself as their name and not mine. (doi) But they were warm. Encouraging. Understanding. And most importantly, they want Henry to have help as much as I do.

But last night I was nervous again. Intimidated. Freaked out.

Leave my 2 year old? In the care of others? Not the nice nursery workers at church that I know and trust, but strangers? What if he freaks out? Will he be okay when I drop him off? What do I pack in his snack? What does he wear? I picked his new shirt from his auntie Stacia cause it had his name on it. His favorite shoes have a hole in the toe but I didn't have time to get him a new pair. What do I wear? (Yeah, I know, I'm a dork).



We got there in plenty of time. I really wanted someone to hold my hand. Henry, not so much. His teacher was nice and friendly. They had a frog name tag for him. Oversized bugs hung from the ceiling and the walls were bright with flowers and tree. There were toys. The teacher informed me they're working on "Spring" right now. Focusing on colors and animals and such.







And then I had to walk away.

Goodbye kisses and hand squeeze from brother.



Ben and I distracted ourselves in the fabric store again. Then killed time in the parking lot filling out emergency forms. This was like real school stuff.

And he was great. I had hoped he would be excited to see me. But he was so ready for a nap that he was cranky. But he politely said bye-byes to his teacher and the aids and off we went.

A big new step for our little family, but most importantly for our little boy.

I am so so proud of him.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such the big boy! I'm glad you both got through it....I'm dreading pre-school already!

molly june. said...

oh henry! such a big boy! he's gonna do sooo great. if he ever needs a pep talk, just have him call a&e. they're pro now when it comes to speech class ;) xo.

IndianaJones said...

WOW! way to go Mama and way to go Henry. I took Indy when she was 2 and though it was a co-op so I got to stay one day on the other day I didn't and I was amazed at how well she did and was so thriving on the environment too! So good for Henry.
loves to you guys <3

autumn said...

This makes my heart swell. Your boy is so wonderful and beautiful. Your family is lovely. Way to go Mama, you are brave and making such bold moves to help your little one.

Jenny said...

I'm so glad he did well. Ryan has grown so much this year going to preschool. It's hard to see them grow up but so worth it.

Barbie said...

So glad Henry's first day went well. I'm sure he'll THRIVE in his new little class! And, yes, you are a great mom to go through the complicated process to help Henry. :)

The Bertagnoles said...

Lorie!!! I used to work there! I was trying to see whose clas he is in by the pictures you took... I can't tell, but it looks like it was the building I taught in! I can tell you that the program there is AMAZING and if you have any questions PLEASE call me, I would be more than happy to help with anything. Im still in the field but now I teach K-1 instead of the little guys. THey are all so precious, though. THe best part is when they GRADUATE!!! Its a neat feeling, I cried when my kids graduated!
Good luck with everything. Thanks again for the beautiful pictures!!!

stacia said...

omg.

seeing Henry with that big 'ol backpack on a school campus is weird.

but so glad to hear that he did well. and REALLY glad to hear that you did well, too, Lor!

lovin you guys!

p.s. shirt fits like a glove!!! he looks so mature in his button-down!

Kara Haushalter said...

L, you will come to love preschool...it is tough to let you little ones go, but look at the great blessing that God has opened the door to! You are a great mama!

P.S. just a mommy tip, we used a few signs with the boys as they were about the age and it helped a ton and the fussing decreases dramatically. We used "please, more, thank you".

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Hi Lori - I just discovered your blog. I love the photography and your boys are adorable! I have a 2-year old Henry myself. :-)

Megan said...

Good for you, Mama. I need to email you- we may be going down this route with Christian, I'm just sitting on the fence about having him tested and NEED to. Henry is SO CUTE in his backpack!

Michelle said...

I'm so happy you shared this. Our good friends are struggling with it right now and it's so hard to take the first step. And it's wonderful that he had a positive experience.

bandofbrothers said...

ok, you may never read this comment. but totally crying over here. what a sweet special boy you have.
love you dear friend!