Thursday, August 25, 2011

something new.

The first time I came up for air it smelled like french fries.



I was a sophmore in high school. In order to avoid that dreaded extra semester of gym I would have to take as a junior I joined the swim team. The university pool my high school used was being renovated. So the nearby country club was gracious enough to allow our swim team to use their pool. The pool that was located right next to the snack bar. The snack bar that we could buy food from because we were "guests". Oh the smell of chlorine and french fries. Brings me back.



The next year it was the smell of pine. Junior year we were back at the university pool. It was humongous. And awesome. But no snack bar. BUT. The university was a dumping ground for the college Christmas tree recycling project. Oh so many memories at that pool. I am not and never was a very athletic person. But I made and kept some great friends from those days in the pool. The days where we ditched dry land practice and just showed up to swim, even if we got in trouble. Because who really wants to run a mile and then swim several more?! Oh the smell of chlorine and pine. That really takes me back.



So this week I joined a gym. I figured there was only so much complaining about my post baby body I could do. I needed to take action. I tried running. It's okay. I almost maybe sorta enjoy it a little bit. But it's not my thing. I just kept coming back to those french fry and pine filled afternoon in the pool. So I joined a gym with a pool.



Yesterday was my first day. I went early in the morning. I swam alone. I enjoyed the solitude. I mostly swam laps, with a few tricks I remember from back in the day. It felt fantastic. And 30 minutes later I was pooped. I picked up my boys from kids club and home we went. They had a ball, I felt great. Oh man. Best decision in a long time.



Today I went closer to lunch time. While the gym was empty the pool was not. Thankfully I had my own lane and didn't have to share. Middle aged men were laying out in the sun. Soaking their bodies in tropical tanning oil. The young 2osomethingerrather in the lane next to me swimming like a crazy person. I swam and swam and swam. And when I came up for air it was the sweet smell of tanning oil. I smiled in the water. My head was clear. I could think. I could pray. I could just have quiet. Right as I was cooling down I came up for air to the sight of the kids club worker walking over to me

"Uh oh" I said.

She smiled, sorta.

"Your youngest went number 2 in his pants. We had to shut down the play equipment to sanitize it".



I rushed to get him. Clean him. Trashed yet another pair of Mater underwear. Apologized profusely. Offered to clean the play equipment. Hurriedly changed them both into their suits and high tailed it out of there.



We went back out to the pool to splash around and play. To pretend that it really isn't 100 degrees still (with triple digits forecasted all the way through next week. blerg. I'm with Katy. Totally completely over it)



And that it settled upon me like a comforting smile.
This moment, poop and whining and goggles and shrieks of glee is my reality.
My here and now.
No longer french fries, or pine trees, but the sweet smell of my children. And chlorine.



4 comments:

themurphys said...

I never leave comments. But I am too excited for you. There's just something about getting a break, your kiddos having a blast and the umph of the gym atmosphere to get you pumped up! And I've never been an Inshape girl, but you are making me jealous. I've been dying to do laps again for years now... Enjoy girly! It really is the best thing you could be doing..for everyone!!! :)

The Norvells said...

so glad you're taking some time to do something for yourself. I know you love to craft, sew, and make things for people, and that it can be therapeutic for you, but this is really for YOU! you'll be a happier mom because of it. I feel the same way when I go to aerobics. Me time. Love you cuz....oh, and the fact that they had to shut down the whole play yard for Ben's poo is awesome :>).

NKO9dizzy said...

OMGeez Lorie! you brought back so many memories! I used to lie and say it was my time of the month so I could sit out of swim practice and eat those fries :)

Love you-Kristen

Katy said...

your blog is so lovely! i stumbled upon it today from "this little life of mine" and loved it! definitely following now. your family is adorable.