Henry, with no covers, curled in a ball, snuggled in with his pillow and cubbie bear and R2 blanket and at least a handful of cars.
Ben, completely covered in his blankets, usually in a rock star pose. Arms and legs stretched out like a snow angel, or twisted all cock-eyed on his back. That boy is a sleeping acrobat.
My husband currently snoring softly on the couch, his long lanky legs hanging off one end. The dog asleep on the back of the couch, on her constant perch. Her one-eye peruse of the goings on of the house, and then to fall just as quickly back into doggy lalaland.
This morning when he woke me up to kiss me good bye he lingered longer than usual.
"Happy nine years" he whispered.
A smile creeping to my face.
How nine years could fly so fast.
Two apartments.
Two times living with parents.
A first house.
Two sons.
A handful of trips.
A dozen (or so ;) fights.
Even more making up.
Hundreds of kisses.
Thousands of memories.
Yesterday, to celebrate our nine years and continue to create memories as a family, we rose (VERY) early (Thank you Benjamin) and were in the car bright and early. We didn't tell the boys what we were doing until we were a ways out of town. We just said we were going for a long long drive. But then I pulled his Mickey ears out of my bag, a smile creeping to his face.
"Do you want to go to Disneyland today?"
"Oh wow Yes!"

Our trip in October was NOT a great trip. I didn't take my big camera, we hardly took any pictures, it was HOT as HELL, and we left with one boy covered in his own puke from heat stroke (and that was after we had already taken him to the baby care to have a bath from, eh hem, OTHER bodily issues) Seriously. Our worst Disneyland trip yet.


BUT. Yesterday more than made up for it. The weather was perfect. I was ecstatic at the lack of people and the short wait times. Ben, who cried at EVERY ride two months ago, HAPPILY rode every ride, wheeing and squealing with delight. Henry never took off his ears. We all marveled at the Christmas trees and decorations, sat in awe at the Christmas parade. And the mother of all mother memories: Ending the night with Henry on my shoulders watching the fireworks light up the sky, only for snow to fall. Disney, man, you sure do magic well.



always, always, our first ride of the day.


prize goes to who guesses what he was doing.

mommy's least favorite ride in the entire park. I sort of really hate it. what mommy's do for their boys...


and yes, our family was wearing a boatload of stripes. which was not my intention. but sort of great at the same time.



the king of directions.


so so so so proud of him. the whole ride with only a few tears at the very beginning.



mesmerized by a real life Pooh.




spending Christmas money, Thanks grandmother!!

a little cat nap...

our anniversary dinner.
gumbo for me. churro for him. yummers.

Before we knew it, it was time for the fireworks show. I was so wrapped up in the moment. My son on my shoulders. The fireworks, the music, it was all too much. I started out thinking "wow, this music and announcement thing is CHEESY!" and then by the end was totally crying. I turned around to see how Ben and Scott were doing and Scott was taking pictures of us. Which made me cry more. So many times as a parent you wish you had a personal photographer along with you capturing those most amazing, precious moments that you wish would never end. The ones you file away in the utmost important folders of your brain. To see Scott capturing them for me, without me asking, him just knowing, was just too perfect. And something I will forever be grateful for.

All too soon the magic was over. Henry and I were on snow high. Ben still way more excited about his granola bar than anything else. We packed it up and headed home. Keeping with tradition of In-N-Out for the drive home, of course ;)

Happy Anniversary my love, thanks for yesterday, and the last nine year.
7 comments:
you totally had me tearing up at the end as I read about your joy and that moment with your family.. and oh gosh, I just loved this post. Happy wonderful sweet nine years to you and Scott, and what a blessing that you could celebrate it in SUCH a perfect way. I adore all the pictures, and I love you. :)
This is so magical! Your Disney experience was a dream come true!! Happy Anniversary!
Hi friend :0) happy anniversary :0) nine years is awesome!!! And your Disneyland family trip is beautiful! This post made me tear up a couple times :0) Henry reminds me of my Reid so much. So happy u had a great time!
Happy Anniversary friend! I can't believe nine years has passed since you were a newlywed coming into Olive Garden where I was working for the summer and I couldn't believe you were MARRIED! haha Not much longer I got engaged and I just as I was feeling like a freak for being so young and the first of all my friends- I thought of you and how lovely and happy you looked when I ran into you. Thanks for that sweet memory and SERIOUSLY your D-Land pics kill me. Living vicariously through you yet again. :)
Loved this! Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful post. :) P.S. I think you have two of the cutest boys I've ever seen!
That snow picture is great, I LOVE IT! And I love all of your stripey outfits!! Happy 9 years!!!
i just love your disneyland posts. this one made me especially giddy. the pic of you in the snow with henry is perfect. i cry every. single. time. it snows there. MAGIC for sure. happy 9 years you two! and many, many more!!!
Post a Comment