Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Never again

How could time go by so quickly?


I look at this small face, not remembering a time when it didn't consume every minute of my day. Yet it's only been a month. 1 month. Before that you were just a glimmer, a movement, a growing yet unknown being. And here you are. Already a month old and I can't believe it's gone. The smallness. The newness.

The shirt you're wearing is one of my favorites. A newborn shirt that used to drown you, now clearly showing the weight you seem to gain daily.

Every day is a challenge. And no matter how much I thought I knew how hard it was going to be, I was not prepared for you. I never could have been. I could not prepare myself for the debilitating exhaustion that seems to melt away with your cooing. How even crying can (at times) make me smile.

I marvel at how big you've gotten. How I can't believe it's already time to pack away some of your clothes, never to be worn by you again. Never again. If it wasn't for all the possibilities of the future, the excitement that is around every corner, I could lose myself in grief for the small boy you will never again be.


You are the boy I prayed for. The son I dreamed of. I am blessed by you daily. I love you Henry. Here's to countless more months together.

12 comments:

bandofbrothers said...

Aw, very sweet Lorie.It is so much fun watching you cluck over your son. You're very protective--I love it!Time does go by quickly, so cherish every second. Whenever I get too nastalgic, my MIL tells me it's time to to have another.

Talia said...

wow, he is getting so big and changing so much! It was amazing to click on the other picture and see the difference ONE MONTH can make. He is just so cute.
I'm so glad you are loving being a mother (although I never doubted that) even with all its challenges.

Olive Oyl said...

I never realize how much they grow until I go back and look at old pictures....

He is so sweet!!!

Olive Oyl said...

I never realize how much they grow until I go back and look at old pictures....

He is so sweet!!!

misguidedmommy said...

i love little round baby heads..i just want to rub them. codi has that same outfit. he's so cute! glad to see new pictures!

See Sherm Blog said...

Cute... he's getting his chubby baby fat! He'll have bunches of rolls before you know it. CUTE!!! Love these pics. Keep 'em coming!

Margie said...

Your words and your photos---I love them! What kind of camera do you shoot with? The final photo is my favorite.

carol grams said...

yeah, time does go by fast. look at how precious Henry is...love him!!! and i should know better than to read on my lunch hour, your words bring tears to this ole grams eyes!

carol grams said...

and the last pic, w/roxie in the background..'hey, i thot i was the one you always took pics of? what happened?'

lorieloo said...

Margie, my camera is the canon 5D...love it!

Anonymous said...

Ahh...so sweet, so true. I remember rocking Aubrey when she was a month old and tearing up thinking those same thoughts. How could some DAYS seem so long an a month seem so short. I loved just rocking and smelling her sweet baby smell as she layed on my shoulder.

Your Henry is getting more adorable each day. And know that although each new stage brings its challenges...it gets WAY easier. And your love for hime will just continue to grow.

Kate said...

I hope when the time comes I'll be able to capture all my feelings about my precious firstborn as eloquently as you have about yours. Beautiful!