Henry turned 5 months old last week. Five whole months. That is a lot of months. I can't believe how quick it's gone and is going. While there are those days that seem to never end, where I'm counting minutes until daddy gets home or until bed time, there are many days where I just soak up every sweet, smiley, drooly moment. It's amazing how with each month he's becoming more and more of who he is, even if I have no idea who that is. I always read posts by women describing their kids personalities. I often feel like I'm failing at knowing who my son is. That some how I can't describe him, like I don't know know him. And that I should by now. I know I'm the mom, and truth be told I do know more about him than anyone else. But to sit here and rattle off character traits like I'm reading ingredients off a cereal box, well I'm just not there yet. I'm still discovering him.
I can tell you what I do know.
While the jury is out on whether my dear son will be a red head, a blonde, or somewhere in the middle, he definitely has that lovely red-headed temper. He is quite vocal about his opinion, and holds nothing back. Lately he's taking to screaming so hard his face turns bright fuchsia, and that vein in the middle of his forehead, the one that was always an indication of pooping early on, has now become an anger gage. This month he's learned to arch his back and throw his head back in protest of how mean I am, like when I change his diaper or put him in his car seat. Mean, mean things I tell you.
While getting him to be on his belly continues to be a struggle, day by day he's lasting longer and longer, giving me hope that he may, one day (crossyourfingers) crawl. He's rolling over, but not too much. He mostly likes to grab his feet and roll from side to side.
I'm daily amazed at his motor skills. He's mastered the pacifier. Pull it out. Put it back in. Turn it around to chew on the handle of it. Just tonight he dropped it and Uncle Dave held it out to him and Henry reached for it. Identifying it, seizing it, accepting it. Amazing accomplishments and milestones for someone who only 5 months ago could barely grasp my finger.
As he was when he was in my belly, he is quite the active kid. He LOVES playing in his excersaucer and LOVES his jumperoo. His days of playing quietly on the play mat are coming to a close, because mom-I want to Move! And while some people don't want their kids to hurry up and be mobile, knowing that once they do, they don't ever not-I yearn for the days where he can move on his own. Yes it will be more work. And I'm sure there will be days that I will long for newborn, car-seat bound days again. But I know Henry is a mover. And I think he'll be a much happier camper when he's not stuck in one location.
We've successfully been eating rice cereal, banana, and as of today, avocado. I never thought I'd start a 4 month old on solid foods. I was enjoying the portability and accessibility of breastfeeding. But my milk has always been a struggle. I have to really work to have enough for him, and most times I don't. And introducing food has been a god send for both of us.
My son.
Who's captured my heart and filled me with joy.
and just for kicks (huh, get it, kicks-HA, I kill myself)
I found this old video of my pregnant belly.
I was 37 weeks pregnant. See, I told you he was a mover.
You have to watch really closely.
I found this old video of my pregnant belly.
I was 37 weeks pregnant. See, I told you he was a mover.
You have to watch really closely.
14 comments:
Oh my gosh, that's so cool!! I love watching my belly move around. In fact, I sat in a really boring meeting a couple weeks ago, so to avoid falling asleep, I just watched my belly jump all over. =)
Wow, Lorie, that is amazing. Moving a lot is an understatement! :) Lorie, I love your honesty in your posts and how you share your heart during these stages. It is such a door to life as a mom and so good for me to hear. Thank you my dear for your comments on my blog. I love you dearly!
Lorie,
You don't know me, but I know who you are because I used to go to the same church as you and your family (before you moved to the sister church and I moved to Arizona). My parents still go there, though. Anyways, I found your blog via Amy's blog and I have been reading it for months. It is quite addictive. I just wanted to introduce myself so I won't feel awkward commenting in the future. I absolutely love that you video taped Henry moving in your belly. That is such a great idea. I have an 8 month old, but I wish I had video taped him while he was still inside my belly, too. Next time!
The Bass Pro Shop hat is sttinkin' awesome! Is it actually a baby-sized hat? If so, I need to get one. My dad and brother are big fishermen and Bass Pro Shop Catalogs are to them what People Magazine or Cooking Light is to me.
Anyways, I have fully enjoyed your writing, your honesty about life and motherhood, and your amazing pictures. I bawled reading your delivery story months ago and made several friends read it. Thanks for unknowingly being a fun part of my day. God bless.
Sounds you know him quite well!
Happy 5 months Henry!
... and while I know this isn't the best place to say this ... UCLA beat USC last week ;)hehe. (... sorry, hubby went to UCLA and I've become a fan by association!)
You better watch it, talkin' smack about redheads!!
Your boy is yummy!
I love reading your blog. My little boy is 16 months old, and he's always wanted to move. He started crawling at 6 1/2-7 months. And he walked at 11 1/2 months. Let me tell you, it is SO much better once they are moving. He was so much happier, and things got to be so much more fun. Now he climbs and jumps and dances. His dances are precious and adorable! So, I guess, I'm just wanting to be the mom who tells you that you'll love it when Henry is mobile (instead of the other way around.) :)
but emilypie, UCLA is supposed to beat USC in basketball. and USC is supposed beat UCLA in football. It's when this doesn't happen that things get fun.
oh man!! that moving belly...I see Henry in his frantic/thrashing sleep(?) moving in your belly!
hmmm...don't you just want to eat him up!! grams
wow, 5 whole months! Oh how the time does fly. He seriously gets cuter with every single picture you take of him, I think...
If you ask me, you know your son so well! And as he gets older, and you begin to see even more of his personality, you will find yourself knowing him better than ever.
Wow, five months! Scarlett is a long way behind, but I too will be thrilled when she is more mobile because it will make HER happy...I think she is going to be a mover and a shaker like Henry! I want to hear more about how solid food goes...I am also really struggling with my milk supply, and it is so hard. I really wanted to do six months of exclusive breast feeding and day by day, as all the stupid remedies (including BEER, per the pediatrician!) fail, I'm beginning to see that that's probably not going to happen. The problem is worse on one side and she kicks and fusses when I try to feed her on that side, and its so frustrating and heartbreaking. Yay for avocados and other good things!
hey Crystal--in the book Secrets of the Horse Whisperer it says nursing moms should drink 16 glasses of water a day--You're probably thinking you will drown drinking that much, but it has realllly helped me! Well, I'm off to drink another glass of water.
Lorie, he's so precious and perfect.
Happy 5 moths!
That video is so fun! And I totally love that you said "just for kicks". Too cute.
He is so precious. His eyes kill me.
I was encouraged by our phone conversation last night and decided to try the food again. YEAH. He ate it up. AND we had a whole 11.5 hours before he woke up and wanted to eat again... ahhh, too bad now I'm the one with insomnia as I lay tensely in bed waiting for him to scream for his mama...
Is it almost summer? Sammy and I are already planning the first week I'm home... Henry will HAVE to come over for a play date!~ :)
Lorie, my little girl just turned 5 months old on monday - she's a bit misterious herself. Love the belly video - wish i would of done that.
Kiley Heter
Post a Comment