Friday, April 25, 2008

Cat out of the Bag


I actually think that's the only thing I don't have in my bag. A cat.

Awhile back Talia tagged me with the question, what's in your purse?
I didn't immediately respond. Why? Well I'm sort of between purses right now.
My first diaper bag bit the dust, my second I'm ready to tear apart screaming and cursing and most of my pre-baby purses don't hold enough. And I've been busying working a lot lately so I seem to pull things from one make shift bag to my shootsac and then back again. Then it occurred to me last night that that in itself was pretty comical. So this morning I dumped my bag/purse/baby carry-all and my shootsac on the floor to marvel at the comical assortment of crap and clutter.

And so here it goes:

Toys. Lots and lots of toys. Because you never know when you're going to get stuck some where and need to try and occupy the boy.
Diapers. Because I will never, ever get in to a diaper-less bind again.
A diapees and wipees case that my sister made me that I LOVE.
Various medicines for the boy including but not limited to baby Orajel, gas drops, Tylenol and eye drops for his bad eye.
More toys.
Lip glosses, including but not limited to my favorite two, and in this case they're both accounted for as well as the only lipstick I own. All Mac. The glosses are Oversexed (hmm?) and Power Supply and the lipstick is O.
My wallet. Sunglasses. Water bottle (cause I'm a nursing Mama). My business cards. Planner. Dewars gift certificates (mmm....Dewars...) Cell phone. Carl's Jr. free Famous Star coupon from the Condors game. 20% off any one item at Linens N Things, cause I'm dreaming about new bedding. Various Sharpies. Cause I love me some Sharpies. Camera batteries. Flash batteries. My flash (Canon 580ex). Baby socks, for cold toes-eys. Misc compact flash cards. My various lenses, the 70-200, the 24-70, my 50, my fish, a baby hat, Burts Bees buttermilk lotion, cause I love me some Burts Bees. And lastly (I think) is my Epson, which I thought I didn't need and now I can't live without. Scott talked me into getting it last year and I LOVE it. Not only is it a portable back-up hard drive but you can load TV shows and music and movies on it. When we were in the hospital with Henry we watched a bunch of Office episodes. It's rad.

That is a lot of crap. And I'm sure I left out the misc receipts for groceries, Starbucks and crumpled napkins from who knows where. When I survey the damage it's quite embarrassing to dump your life out on the kitchen floor examining each and every item as if from someone else's perspective. Yes a lot of these are necessities, some of them are fluff that seem to find their home in the pit that is my current bag, and some are confessions of things I bought or have done that I shouldn't have (can I get an Amen for the shameful amount of Starbucks receipts for someone who is on a budget??? Although in my defense a lot of those visits consist of photography discussions, therefore I maintain that they're a right off, therefore "ok". You like what I did there?) But mostly when I look at the contents of my life in a pile I'm proud. Proud of how although there are days that I'm barely hanging on and others that I want to pull my hair out, I'm learning balance. Diapers and lenses. And I love them both. And I love how they go together.

2 comments:

Talia said...

yay, you did it!! I was hoping you'd take on your interesting purse situation. :)
You win (even though it wasn't a competition, I know), because this was the best purse post ever. Not only did you have a CRAZY amount of varied stuff in there, you made it so funny and entertaining. And brought it back to a sweet and lovely thought, a statement about your life.
See, this is why I tagged you. You rock! MUAH!

misguidedmommy said...

oh man. i mean. WOW. just, whoah you have me beat.