Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I'm smiling right now

And I shouldn't be. When you see your son gag on his food and consequently spit up all down the front of himself, you shouldn't smile. Or laugh. And I did both. Bad Mom! Today I introduced Henry to cottage cheese. Good dairy, good protein, good food. He wasn't sure of the texture at first, I don't blame him. Rotten milk would make me make a sour face too. But then, like everything else, he started gobbling it up as quick as I could spoon it in. He began to slowly store it in his cheeks, and tell-tale sign that he was exhausted with eating and was done. But not before, in a effort to swallow the last bit of cottage cheese, he gagged on it and down the front of his shirt it went.
And instead of feeling bad for him, or comforting him, I giggled. Henry's little sour face reminded me of a silly high school memory that I just have to share.

I had heard that ER uses a combination of cottage cheese and yogurt to make very realistic vomit. And so when the one-act play I was directing at the end of Senior year called for fake vomit I knew exactly what to do. But I made the mistake of not refrigerating it all day. And our performance (in front of the student body mind you) was not until 7th period. The end of our play, Alan walks quickly backstage to get the vomit. I the director/prop extraordinaire smeared some of the mixture on his face and in his mouth so he could he could run back on stage in time for his cue. When I spooned some into his mouth, the rancid, warm, yogurt and cottage cheese kicked his gagging reflexes into overdrive and as he stumbled back on stage he portrayed the most accurate vomiting man ever.

I'm laughing out loud right now as I type this. I can still see his horrified face as he did his best to not vomit all over the stage. Oh Alan. That was HiLARious. And not that you're reading this because we have long since lost touch, but if you are, I'm totally still laughing at you PDP.

3 comments:

Talia said...

eewwwwww.....! I almost gagged just READING about what the poor man had to have shoved in his mouth, so I can only imagine how awful it was to TASTE it! Gross.

Funny story though. :) And at least it helped make your play even more realistic! "The play's the thing", right?

Sara said...

Seriously funny! Unspoiled cottage cheese on its own makes me want to vomit. I'm gagging a bit just thinking of it gone bad.

Lindsey Woodland said...

hahahah good times in Drama class : )