Sara was 6 months pregnant with Ella and absolutely glowing!
The next night, before I had to head home, Scott and I took another walk on the beach at sunset. We sat snuggled together watching the waves crash in and out and replaying the events of the previous night. And I don’t remember how it came up but suddenly he was talking serious. He said that he knew he only gave me the promise ring a month ago, but that I he was ready. And that if he started talking to his parents about a wedding that they’d probably push for a wedding by the end of the year.
Silence.
I don’t remember what I said, but I remember inside completely freaking out. This was APRIL. By the END of the year? Um, that was like eight months away?! What?! We had been so casual for so long and then all of a sudden everything was cannon balling all at once.
I drove home the next day, unsure of what to tell my parents. Unsure of their reaction. Unsure of if I was really even ready.
I got home and sat in the living room, talking to my parents.
“He said he wants to marry me by the end of the year.”
I braced myself, not sure what they would think. Would they say we’re rushing it? That we should wait a year? Would they tell me I can’t get married? That I’m too young? I mean, I just turned 19 for crying out loud.
My mom, in her thoughtful hesitation said, nodding:
“That would work. Your engagement wouldn’t be too terribly long. If you got married in December you’d have plenty of time over Christmas break to go on a honeymoon. And it would probably be really good for Scott, academically, for his last two quarters. He would be settled, and not so distracted as he would be if you were still driving back and forth and everything.”
I couldn’t believe my ears. It’s not that I thought my parents wouldn’t be supportive, but you just never know until you put it out there. My mom was 18 when they got married and have now been happily married for close to forty years. But that was then, and this is now. And 19 year olds just don’t get married. But here I was, talking marriage with my parents, still a teenager. The excitement in me growing.
I got up and got my mom’s planner and thumbed through the months until December. December 14th. My finals would be done, Scott’s finals would be done, and we would have a solid week until Christmas.
Can I really be thinking this?
I picked up the phone and called Scott.
“My parents are on board. And December 14th would work.”
I told him my thoughts, about finals, a long enough honeymoon and in time for Christmas.
His reply;
“Um, okay.”
And he silently gulped.


7 comments:
I can't wait to see the pictures!
?!?!?!?!? srsly???
Jon and I had our wedding date on the church calendar, the pastor booked, and I'm pretty sure I even had my dress before he actually popped the question. I was 19 when I got engaged, closing in on 21 when we got married (10-month engagement).
I can't wait for the next chapter!!
I love your parents' reaction! I was so scared to tell my mom as well.. I guess they have a little more faith in us than we'd like to believe
:)
Wooohoo! We made the story! :) I love that I have a page in your scrapbook! :) And yes, you did get robbed although I have the most AWESOME action photo of you in action in my wedding stuff..I'll have to show it to you! :) Loving this.... :)
loved your scrapbook of Jenn! and i really love your hair that length Lorie. and Scotty got cold feet? gulp indeed!
Ummm...I just noticed the chambless imposter in that girl shot. The picture is just not the same without Christie...although I did go to jr. high with the imposter.
Post a Comment