Monday, October 06, 2008

a zillion and one photos

So our trip was perfect. Perfectly frazzled. Perfectly sweet. Perfectly imperfect. We've learned that traveling with a three month old is cake. Traveling with a year old, not so much. There were tantrums and crying and snotty noses, and Henry was worse! (I know, I know, old joke.) But it really was fun. I got to meet up with Ashley. I struck out into the city, just me and my son. I refused to use the GPS, determined to find my way with a map and some good old intuition. Thank God for the map is all I have to say. After being EXTREMELY impressed by Ashley's parking skills I attempted my own parrallel parking. I had to text her at my success- parking backwards on a hill! I was so excited! I didn't text her again to tell her that within minutes of parking and cheering my own success I realized it was a yellow meter. I wanted to cry. But I pulled out and found a better spot anyway. I shopped and found parks, and took pictures out my window (shh, don't tell my mom!). I became an aggressive city driver which I will admit has made me an aggressive town driver since I've returned. There's something about conquering your fear of a big city to instill an new found confidence in yourself. And I loved that part of me that I brought home. The one that is less timid to try. Even if trying means admitting that the parking meter was yellow. Admitting that I got lost several times and had an absolute ball finding my way back. Admitting that as much as I'm a country girl through and through, I think there's a small part of me that could put on skinny jeans and walk those city streets with the best of them. Scott and I've decided that if we lived in a big city we would hate each other. While I was proud of my driving and my limited city knowledge, he was scared to death of my driving and busied himself with the GPS so as not to see the cars and buses that I reeled around. We constantly fought about my map leading the way verses the annoying woman in the GPS telling me where to go. And then you add a kid into the mix; someone who can't wait an extra couple of hours until we find dinner. Someone who has to have diapers changed, and sleep in the bathroom because it was the only place for him in our little hotel room. It was a crazy, fun, perfectly imperfect trip. And here is a boat load of pictures to prove it.

Photobucket

We met up with the lovely Ashley on our first day. This girl seriously rocked my socks off. She can't take a bad picture-both in front of and behind the camera. I had a ball hanging with her, and if I could have, would have monopolized her entire week!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some details I saw...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When I was in high school and my parents took me to London and Prague, the running joke was "Lorie go stand over there for a picture." We have rolls and rolls (remember rolls? FILM?) of me standing in front of various statues, trees, monuments. Whenever my mom wanted a picture of something I was always made to go stand in front of it.

"Hey Henry, go stand over there!" What can I say, the sights are just cuter with your children in them!

Photobucket

Photobucket

An attempt at a self picture.

Photobucket

While I was constantly looking around at the amazing architecture surrounding me, I couldn't help but look up as well. The bus and trolley cables blew my mind. How complex yet simple it all is. What tangled webs they were.

Photobucket

One of the few "city" pictures of Scott at night. Photoging is just so much harder when you've got a fussy kid in a stroller.

Photobucket

Our second night we drove over the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito. For no other reason that I wanted to say Sausalito as much as possible. Say it with me, Sausalito.
We were disappointed. What seemed like a cute little town to poke around in, was dull and everything closed by 6. 6! But I did twist Scott's arm to eat at a pretty decent restaurant where I devoured my pinky-up crab cakes. They were divine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the way home Scott kept Henry occupied so that I could try my hand at some night photography of the bridge. It was freezing and I couldn't get the tripod to cooperate with me, but I got a few I liked.

Photobucket

On the last day we headed over to Pier 39 to do all the touristy stuff. We ate at some horribly crappy restaurant over looking all the sea lions. Seriously, the only edible thing was the chicken tenders I ordered for Henry. Who really only wanted to look at the sea lions. Then we headed over to the Aquarium by the Bay. Now this would have been a lot more fun had it not cost as much as it did, for as little time as we spent inside. What can I say. Our one year only wanted to walk on his own and would scream and throw a fit any time we'd try to pick him up or put him back in the stroller. So fun, let me tell you. These were a few of the quieter moments.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

hmmm sardines for lunch...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And because we hadn't had enough screaming we thought, heck, let's keep going. We drove down Lombard street, and made our way to the Palace of the fine Arts. It's kind of our thing, me and Scott. Whenever we go somewhere and we're excited to see some famous building, without fail there will be scaffolding up. Prague, New York, San Francisco. Seriously, it's just our thing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

"To your right we have the Palace of Fine Arts, and to your left on our tour, we have a red-headed child available for picture taking"

Seriously...had no idea our kid would be a tourist attraction.

Photobucket
(And yes, Scott was completely confused when the lady kept pointing at Henry and asking him something in another language until she just picked up Henry and smiled for a picture. Crazy with a capital C!)

Photobucket

Grams will be so proud....we have a little bird brain on our hands....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then it was on to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I warned you! It was a lot of pictures! Aren't you glad I didn't post all 500???

25 comments:

Eliza said...

SO cute! I LOVE the pictures of Henry with the birds.

On to an totally selfish question....where did you find the striped socks that Henry is sporting?

Olive Oyl said...

Cute. Man, every day more and more I just see how much he looks like Tessie... well, Scott obviously, but you know, Tessie! :)

And Eliza, I think those are from Babies R Us... I went sock scouting the other day and that was the only place I could find a pack of semi-decent boy socks... well except for like bazillion dollar socks online. Why are little boy socks so hard to fine?!

IndianaJones said...

these shots are so fun. I especially like Henry's outfit with the plaid pants...so awesome and the different colored chucks to match!
Fun to follow along on your adventures.

The Norvells said...

Yes, they were alot, but all beautiful and fun to look at. I love the one of the bridge at night. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Loved it!

Just Jiff said...

Your blog really inspires me to want to learn more about photography. I don't know anything about cameras but I love taking pictures.

Emily Main said...

and just like your Seattle pictures, I'm inspired to travel (yet again) to San Francisco and get some more pictures! I love the family shot at the bridge.

lorieloo said...

eliza, my mom bought henry those socks. they're a four pack from old navy=) two gray, two navy.

Emery Jo said...

WOW. You are so great at this. So, so great. My favorites are the aquarium ones- and that night bridge shot is just breathtaking.

AMAZING!!

bandofbrothers said...

that was such an exciting post! loved it all! maybe you can teach me to parallel park, eh? er, maybe not. you can jut do it for me.

your pictures are magnificent!

henry looks like a doll in all the photos!

love your synopsis.

and i would have enjoyed seeing all 500 pics:)

Ashley said...

oooh yay yay yay! Your pics are fab!!! I had such a fun time with you, and am totally proud of your parking, youd fit right in! I know it!

Ok, Henry's plaid pants!!! AAAAAk! I could die! "I DIE"
So cute! And those photos at the aquarium are amazing! Makes me want to go just to take photos!

So glad the fog cleared for you to get a photo with the GGB. You guys are just adorable! AAAND I love the photos of me :), so thanks! Especially the one of you me and Henry! We need to do a CD exchange.

Lindsey Woodland said...

actually could you post all 500? I love seeing your adventures and your photography! Do you use flickr or anyting?

Emily Faulknor said...

How just looks like soooo much fun! did you just decide to go to the bay area for the heck of it? So cool. I love seeing the pictures when you and Henry and Scott are all in together. Love it!

Barbie said...

Lorie...stunning pictures. Can you go on my next vacation with me to document it? Yet again, I learned how difficult is is to travel with a two year old this summer...so I'm not sure I'll be vacationing anytime soon.

My 2 favs...the b/w of you and him both smiling and the one of Scott holding Henry looking at the starfish.

Home2K9 Pack Leader said...

Looks like a great time! Now you just have to go back in say... ten or fifteen years when you can have a little more peace on your excursions. Well, I suppose Henry may have other things to whine about at that age. For example, he'll think you're mean for not giving him more money to buy junk souvenirs or not allowing him to get a tattoo while he's there. Good times.

molly june. said...

omg. i can't even pick a favorite picture! you are SO SO amazing, girl!! i love the one's of henry chasing the birds, and the last shot of the fam by the bridge! wow! wow! wow! i'm gonna go look at 'em all over again! HA! :D

Jenny said...

I love that city so much! Your pictures definitely do it justice and Henry is so cute in them.

See Sherm Blog said...

Looks like you and Ashley had a great time. I love that b&w shot of her through the trees.

I'm so jealous of your san francisco trip. Kyle and I have been wanting to go since we got married. And now, after seeing how much fun you guys had, I want to go even more.

P.S. Henry has the cutest shoes... ever. :-)

Brent and Julie said...

Okay the pics are totally cute, but I had to laugh about city driving. The same thing happens to me in SF. I become some maniac driver. AND I used to pray everytime I went out that I would find a parking spot that didn't require parallel parking. We ended up parking in the parking garage...a lot!! Glad you had a fun trip.

Mama2 said...

Simply loved, loved, loved being on this S.F. excursion this morning. I saw Brookie Beth's big girl picture and now Henry in his big boy photo on the steps with his shoe untied. This makes for a wonderful start to my morning.
I never could read a map, therefore the greatest invention to me is my GPS with the annoying "Sally" telling me what to do.

Mommy Diffee said...

The pictures are amazing! We went a couple years ago and my pictures are nowhere near that cute, goes to show that if you actually know HOW to use your camera the pictures turn out TOTALLY DIFFERENT! And I do not even attempt to parallel park, so props for trying! I will not even DRIVE in the city, I make Ryan drive =) Where all did you go while you were there???? We are taking Peyton in January, was it really hard with a 1 year old?????
PS
I love the Old Navy socks also! They last a lot longer than some of the others!

mrs schienbein said...

Ugh. As usual.

Heart melted. Green with envy. Loving pouring over every picture instead of tending to the pile of work on my desk.

Love you guys!!!

Talia said...

ohhhhh, I am just in awe over your photos!!! I could seriously comment on how much I love each and every single one and why, but I won't, because that would make this comment like a book. :) But I really do love them all, and yes, could easily have looked at all 500. I loved your thoughts on the trip and how it made you feel too...

Your pictures of Ashley are so beautiful (of course, she IS beautiful), and some of my favorites are the aquarium ones. What awesome memories to pass onto Henry someday! By the way, you are so right about travelling with a kid that age... it is tricky. But good for you at taking it all in stride and rolling with the punches, so to speak. You're an awesome mommy.

Speaking of pictures, I am so excited to see the ones you took of Luke and Jessica and the kids. Like ridiculously excited. :)

*CPA* Su said...

Your little family is oh-so-adorable!! Loved ALL of the pics!

Unknown said...

These are just beautiful pictures! The one of Henry and the starfish! Stunning! I'm glad you got to meet up with Ashley! How fun! And you've done more in SF than I think we have and we're only a 50 minute BART ride away. For shame!

Anna Ingalls said...

these are great! so fun, i love the water ones and the one with the boys looking at the starfish in the tank - so sweet.