Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I don't want to write about the election

Because I'm sick of it.

And because lets face it, we're not going to agree.
I've read yours.
Well, a lot of yours.
Some of you I agree with.
Some of you I don't.
Some of you have made me think.
Some of you have made me want to throw my computer against the wall.

But that's why I don't want to go there with you. Because I believe what I believe. I don't like be judged or written off for what I believe. If I allow you to believe what you believe without writing discouraging comments, I expect the same courtesy.

Unfortunately, not everybody is that way. And I don't want a comment box full of hate.

I might not agree with the sign in the yard one street over. But I think it was horribly wrong for someone to rip it down to prove a point. The only point proven was that they're a bunch of jerks. We are entitled to our opinions. I mine, and you yours. I do believe it's good to be aware, to be open-minded, to be non-judgmental, and above all else, to be full of love. We are called to love.

Here's the kicker. God's in control.
People always like to go to the extreme: "well if so and so is elected I'm moving to fillintheblank".
Good.
Fine.
Do.
But God is not not here. Does that make since?
Whether Obama or McCain is elected.
Whether Prop 8 passes or fails.
God is here. He's in control.
Nothing will come about that is not outside of His authority.
We are to respect our authorities-whether we agree with them or not- because they were put in place by God.

Romans says
Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Isaiah says
Fear not for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

and Psalm;
The Lord is my light and my salvation-whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life-of whom shall I be afraid?

While these might be "dark" times we're headed into or out of, we are not to be afraid. We are to realize that the Lord of Lords, who is full of grace and love and peace, will never leave us or forsake us.

So pray.
Submit.
And let it go.

And then go get your free cup of coffee from Starbucks (IN A RED CUP KATIE!!!!!!).
Because I think the caffeine will help us all relax.



15 comments:

Home Sweet Sarah said...

AMEN, sister!

*CPA* Su said...

Ohmygosh, the pic of Henry in the polling booth is priceless! LOVE IT!!

And I love your words. And your depiction of His Word. We are in His control, His authority.

Amen!

bandofbrothers said...

i hear ya!

love you and THANKS AGAIN for lunch today! you are a doll!

IndianaJones said...

This is the first "political" post that I enjoyed beginning to end. Thank you. Obama was just elected. People are outside my window screaming, cheering, yelling "yes we can" at the top of their lungs. I hope for America's sake that this is true but I have no fear because as you stated I see where the true sovereignty lies and that brings me more hope than any campaign ever could.

WooPoo said...

real men use touch screens

themurphys said...

YES YES YES YES YES! I have been screaming these sentiments from the beginning! Moving on people...

Talia said...

Amen and Amen.
Loved this. I'm glad for every encouraging and God-centered political post, they have been a blessing in this day.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Mama2 said...

I've been unhappy with this race for many reasons. I gave it all to God a few weeks ago. I was so happy when I was free to watch Jon and Kate on DVR last night instead of the election results. Because I just didn't worry about it one way or the other because I know God is in control. I can't worry about something I can't do anything about. FREEDOM is what we have when we give it all to Christ. You wrote it better than me.

Sunny said...

That was very well stated and I agree! Thank you for your words. :)

molly june. said...

so good to be reminded of!! thank you!

Excellent Parent said...

thankyou for that! I need that, I feel like I am watching the curtains fall on a very impressive act!

MacD Kids said...

Red Cups?! Oh Im so sad...we are on strict eating out restrictions (for budget's sake) and that includes Starbucks runs... but now I kinda want to cry a little :( Enjoy them for me okay?!

Lindsey Woodland said...

love you!

Blessed Be Off the Grid said...

Yay, now they will stop calling my house! 8 in the morning, 9 at night. Hillary, Hank Williams Jr, Ack! I have paid little attention to the election & tried to focus and pray on peace. Whomever leads us, let's pray that God leads them to peace:-)

Just Jiff said...

Love little man in the voting booth!

ANd I'm with you. I hate discussing it. Politics and religion are two topics I don't talk about.