Monday, March 09, 2009

strike one

Last week started with the big strike one. I was so eagerly excited for our first official doctors visit at our new OBGYN. After a lot of thought over our previous doctor, and the group in which he belonged, I began searching elsewhere. I really want to try for a vaginal birth this time (from now on will be referred to as a VBAC). I've been very honest on here about how horrible my recovery was, how impersonal and scary the experience was for me. It left me wanting so much more for my next delivery. So I was very excited when I met with one of the two doctors last fall at the new OB's office and he seemed pretty encouraging of a VBAC. He let me know about the risks, rupture, emergency c-section, possibly hysterectomy, death or complications to both baby and mom ( I know...WHY do I want this???) but also that the odds of anything happening were small, 0.7%. I felt a healthy level of fear as well as an even bigger helping of optimism that this doctor seemed supportive. But seeing as all the raving reviews about this OB were for his wife and partner, I switched to her.

So last Tuesday Scott took off work and met me there. We sat patiently, knowing we were minutes from seeing the Bean. Our ultrasound appointment was first and so unlike our previous OB's we actually were called back at our actual appointment time, not an hour later. I digress. The ultrasound tech was informative and honest but lacking any warmth what so ever. She did however, let us know that not only would we get the standard 20 week ultrasound but like 4-5 others spaced through out the entire pregnancy. WHAT?! Oh it was like Christmas. Last time the length of time between 20 weeks and delivery was SO long without another glimpse of our little man, and this time I'd get to see the Bean like 6 times?? It was too much.

We were ushered back to the lobby to wait for our doctor's appointment. We did have to wait awhile, but once the doctor walked in it didn't matter. She was immediately warm, knowing my name before she walked in, right away shaking my hand and introducing herself. She sat and started going over my past birth experience and Scott and I both got to share out hearts and fears and about Henry's birth and then Scott wrapped it up by saying

" So you can see why we're really hoping for a VBAC this time."

That's when the walls caved in. She looked at me with a bitter smile and said

"I was hoping you weren't going to say that".

Turns out they don't offer VBAC's. It is just the two of them in the practice. And by law, if you're going for a VBAC, once you're admitted to the hospital your doctor can not leave until you deliver, and unfortunately that is not something they can offer with just the two of them.

I held it together.
I asked if she knew of any doctors that offer VBAC's that she would recommend. She gave me a name.

Scott asked her if she only allowed 3 c-sections.
(Which was another concern of ours. We've always thought 3-4 kids, and most doctors recommend only 3 c-sections)

She said she had no problem doing 4.
She apologized profusely, said to take our time. Not to feel rushed, that she would completely understand if we switched and that we have plenty of time to make an educated decision.

We left and drove separately to lunch. It was suppose to be a celebratory lunch. We were going to sit and eat amazing Italian food and stare at our bean's ultrasound pictures. I barely made it to the restaurant before breaking down. I pulled it together in the parking lot, got out, walked in, got a table and proceeded to break down all over again. Poor Scott.

If there's anything he loves more than me crying, it's me crying in public. Which I proceeded to do off and of though out the entire meal.

I struggled with guilt. Am I being selfish? Is this a pride thing on my part? Am I doing what's best for the baby or for me? Am I selfish for risking so much just so I can have a (hopefully) more ideal delivery? But the recovery was HORRIFIC. I couldn't even pick up Henry. I couldn't drive for almost 3 weeks. The littlest activity completely wiped me out. I was on vicodin for over two weeks. And this time I will have a 2 year old. How am I not suppose to pick him for over a month? HOW? It was too much.

So I picked up the pictures of the Bean. And I started crying again. Crying because I don't know the answer. I just don't know. I could find another doctor. I could deliver a perfectly healthy baby naturally. But am I willing to risk this little life? And any potential other children we want to have? What about my own health?

I don't have an answer.

Scott has been so supportive, allowing me the freedom to make the decision with his support whichever way I decide. But he's fearful. Fearful of losing a child. Fearful of losing his wife. Fearful of the unknown. And I am fearful of all this and more.

I just don't know. We have time to decide. But I covet your prayers and support.

26 comments:

bandofbrothers said...

what a beautifully written post. I will pray that you make the right decision, and have peace of mind knowing that you are in God's hands. such a tough call. ug. i pray that there is some way for you to deliver natural.

Olive Oyl said...

You know how much I support you in your quest for a VBAC. I know just from personal experience with life that just giving up and not seeking an alternative can lead to serious guilt and questioning later on... I don't even think that having the actual VBAC is the most crucial end to this story... more that you at least get a chance to try for what you want. I want you to be healthy and safe and to deliver a wonderfully healthy baby... be it by C-section or VBAC, it doesn't matter. But like we've talked about, not at least seeking out other options and getting a definitive "no" is not going to put your mind at ease. I do so hope a different outcome for you with this little one. But no matter what, know that I'll be in the waiting room cheering you on! And please know that we will already have a little bed set up for Henry so you can drop him off with Swee'Pea in the middle of the night when you are dashed off to the hospital. :) I'm even saving a sick day next year so I can make sure and be there for him and for you and Scott when the big day arrives!!!

I love you sister, and I am already so in love with this new little nice or nephew of mine!

Excellent Parent said...

Bless you, just give it to God. If you find a doctor that is willing to do a Vback, that dosent mean you well be able to this time. Either way it is worth it and a lesson God is teaching you. I pray God gives you the answers and direction you need!

Talia said...

I'm so sorry honey... what a tough thing to have on your mind. I can only imagine how difficult such a decision would be...
I will be praying for you too, that you and Scott will be given a clear answer, as well as peace about your decision, whatever it may be. How wonderful that you, your precious little one, and the way he/she will enter this world are all in the Lord's hands. Such comfort!!
you have such a beautiful heart, Lorie, I love these latest posts you are writing, even though it makes me sad to know you are struggling...

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this right now. I will pray for peace in your decision. If you do end up opting for the c-section maybe it will be different this time. I think a different Dr. and a non-emergency situation could make all the difference. Whatever the decision, I pray that your birth experience is what you hope for and that you have a speedy recovery.

Sally said...

I'm can't even imagine the disappointment you guys felt when that doctor walked in and told you no VBACs. I do like the law that the doctor can't leave you, so I pray that you find someone to deliver your little bean who you are completely comfortable with.

Jenn makes a good point, too, that a non emergency c-sect could be very different. I'm grateful for all your research on VBAC, because in the back of my mind, there is just the slightest inkling of considering the same thing for me...and that wasn't there the last time I saw you!

Hang in there girlie!!

misguidedmommy said...

You know from a double c- sectioner here (i wanted a v-bac too but was told no cuz of the bleeding)

anyway i am stunned your first time was so painful. my dr is also an amazing surgeon (he had done surgeries a few times on me before) and i had an amazing recovery both times. going days with out a vicodin.

anyway the second time around was even better because the nerves were already severed WOOHOO! I was out after 3 days instead of 4 and already walking around the neighborhood that day.

My point is. no matter what kind of birth you have next time, somehow do a little research find out what kind of surgeon your doctor is IN CASE. How are they with scars, how do their patients heal. Do a little research. I don't even have a scar from my surgery. But the crappy doctor who removed my gal bladder with a 1/2" incision somehow managed to leave a frigging puffy red ucky scar!

so. hon. i say, go find a doctor who will do what YOU WANT but also, make sure that in case, they are capable of doing the best surgery possible so it's better for you!

Emery Jo said...

sweet lorie- i'm so very sorry. your feelings are totally understandable and i'm so bummed that the appt. wasn't all you'd hoped it would be!! I totally agree with olive oyl-- do a little more footwork and go hard after what you want. You don't want to have regrets about that later. Try to find someone who shares your view and can sit and talk with you and scott about all your questions and concerns. Get some books from the library about the topic. And have grace for yourself- this baby is going to be such a gift- no matter how it makes it's entrance into this world! God will speak to you about all of this- you're in my prayers!!

See Sherm Blog said...

I'm so sorry your appointment was disappointing. I don't have any personal experience with this to reflect on and share with you, but all I can say is that I will be praying for you guys and your decision. Do you know of any women who have done a VBAC that you can talk to and find out who their doctor is? Maybe through your church?

I'll be thinking of you... and I hope this isn't something you have to wrestle with for much longer. Hang in there.

Jenn said...

Im so sorry. We had a similar experience with our 2nd as well. That moment when you are told no, you can't do that even tho its YOUR BODY! Unfortunately we had really no choice in the matter. There is only one hospital near our town and they just didn't do VBACs. As much as I wanted one I had to just let it go. I had no desire to risk driving over an hour in labor to deliver at another hospital. The scheduled C-section is a very different thing. I wouldn't say its fun or anything, its a bit strange really. BUT. It was nothing compared to an emergency C-section. I think we did the best thing for my girl. I don't regret it. Honestly I don't ever think of it. All I think about is my two amazing girls that are super healthy. What more can you ask for:) I know its a horribly hard choice to make. I think its important to research and be sure about any choice you make. Im "here" if you want to talk anymore about our experience.

Ashley said...

:( Thinking of you.

Mommy Diffee said...

Oh Lorie, I cannot fathom your situation, but I am so blessed by your openness. You have my devout prayers, and I know God will show you what is best for your family in this decision. Know that either way you have people who want to help, help with Henry, bring you dinner, drive for you! I am excited to see how your little family will be blessed through this very difficult trial. Hang in there, and it is SO ok to cry in public, given the situation … I would have been too!

Megan said...

There are so many factors aren't there? That wash struggle in making a decision. I'm so glad you have a husband you can break down with. For me, making the decision was the most grueling part. You are a strong woman to be honest with yourself and others!

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

Check out this site: http://www.ican-online.org/ I know so many women who have had VBAC or even VBAnumerousC. Keep praying. God knows your situation better than any doctor, and He knows whether VBAC is safe for you and your baby!

Anonymous said...

OK, so please don't think I'm pushing my views on you or anything. Please! I just wanted to say a few things though...

0.7% is such a SMALL, SMALL percentage. Like the 2% that was always thrown at me with regards to the homebirth. If you are healthy and having a normal pregnancy there is no reason VBAC should be out of the question, especially if that is something you want.

I think birth experiences are EXTREMELY important. It isn't just about you, it's about your baby and so many other things. I don't think you are being selfish at all. So many people tried to say that about me and I hated it because it wasn't true. I wanted what I felt was best for me and the baby... a natural birth without intervention.

It really is a tough thing and I don't by any means think that every woman has to have the same birth experience. You really have to do what you think is right for you and your family.

So that said, again please don't think I'm pushing my views on you, but I know my midwife does VBACs. Homebirth is probably out of the question for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway, because I don't know what you are considering and what options you might be willing to consider. Her name is LaMonica Hillberg and her website is www.godslovemidwifery.com which has all her contact info and stuff.

So anyway, I will definitely be praying for you guys and I am hoping you can come to a decision that works for you, is best for you and that you can have peace about.

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

Here's another link to a yahoogroup that could be super helpful for you: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ICAN-online/

Jana said...

wow. what a tough decision. you've got so many people praying you through it - we trust that as you seek Him, God will lead you to make the best decision for all of you!

keep us posted!

Chelsea said...

I'll be praying for you as well. I am 3 weeks away from delivering my first baby and I too do not want to do a c-section...but the doctor has warned me that i have an extrememly small pelvis and a very large baby...so to be open minded that my baby may not respond well to a vaginal birth and at this point, I dont want my plans or my desires to get in the way of both of our health if natural birth does not work out. My cousin had a really aweful natural birth that was over 40 hours long, and then another totally different experience with her next birth which was only 6 hours long...every baby is different. And a second c-section may not be as bad as the first! Whatever way he gets here he gets here! I'm sure he'll be beautiful and healthy! That is my prayer!

Eliza said...

Lorie, I will be praying for you!

I will say (like others) that I think a scheduled C-Section is WAY different than your situation with Henry. I know that I felt better in a few days.

Oh, and I'm curious as to who your new doctor is. I'd like to be called in at my appointment time.

verbal athleticism said...

Email Suffering Summer. She had a VBAC. Risks are really minimal... Anyway, talk to her. She's my nephew's wife... Best of luck!
-Lisa

Home2K9 Pack Leader said...

God can handle your fears and concerns and he'll use you all no matter what the outcome of this pregnancy. I've watched several friends and family members struggle through this same decision and I wish it were an easier one to make, but I know you'll find the answers in time. Love each other, stay close to one another and honor your inner voice- that's your first job as "mom."

Lydia said...

Well, you've got enough 2-cents-worth on here for a nice coffee, but I'll throw mine in as well. :) I had a vaginal delivery with few complications, except for a very large epesiotomy (Caleb was showing signs of distress, so the dr. did what was necessary to get him out quickly). I was in the hospital three nights (only two after birth), and when I got home, I could hold Caleb, but it was very painful to even stand up/sit down. I was completely useless for a full week, and not much better for the week after that. At first I thought it was as bad as a c-section, but decided later that it probably wasn't.

Even if you do get a VBAC, you're not guaranteed your ideal birth. It's a tough decision, and I'll be praying for you.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry that things didn't work out as you hoped. I don't have a lot of advice or words of wisdom, but I want you to know I'm thinking about you and I'm glad you shared what's going on.

Momma D said...

Wow, a tough decision. I was lucky, VBAC came "Easy" for me and there was never a question. Maybe times have changed and doctors are more prone to just jump right into C-Sections.

I understand your concerns and your reasons for wanting to go a different route then last time. The once a C-Section always a C-Section rule doesn't apply anymore.

I will pray for you in finding the right doctor and making the right choices. Just remember that it all boils down to the last moment when the decision is made for the right reasons (health of mom and baby) and not because there aren't enough Doctors on staff or because it's easier.

Love you kiddo ~

mytwentysixthyear said...

well i made a comment on here before and it must not have gone through.
im so sorry you have to make a hard decision. i know how scary it is. my advice would be to look into fact based unbiased medical journals. we did that when looking into homebirths and it really was a good resource. also vbac.com might be a good site for you to check out.
good luck girl, i pray above all for peace about the decision you make.

Mommy Diffee said...

I might have missed this ... but what exactly is your due date????? =)