I walked up breathless to her window and told her my name and appointment time and apologized for being tardy. We covered the usual insurance/paperwork, I asked her name and thanked her by name (something I've learned goes a LONG way) and sat and took a deep breath for maybe the second time today (more on that later). I looked around at a very empty waiting room. Come to think of it, so was the adjoining room. Is 3:40 just the perfect time to go or what? I barely settled in when I was called back. Diamond was her name. I don't think I'll be forgetting that. After being weighed (joy) and peeing in a cup (double joy) I got the usual blood pressure/temperature check. She was friendly enough and chatted easily with me. I liked her already. But girls and Diamonds usually get along no?
I was ushered to my room and as I sat patiently I read the numerous thank you notes and saw all the cute baby pictures with smiling couples in the hospital with my doctor holding wee little ones. I started to read the notes. "Thank you for saving my babies life...I'm healing nicely from my c-section", "Thank you for taking care of my daughter and being so quick and wise with your decision for a c-section...", "thank you for all your encouragement and support during my delivery, and even after we decided on a c-section...".
I started to feel uneasy.
Then I read this one.
"I can't tell you how disappointed I was when my at home birth attempted was thwarted by a baby that would not come. I so appreciated all your efforts and support in allowing me to continue to labor naturally while at the hospital. And even though we did finally decide to c-section due to my baby never crowning, I thank you for being so supportive..."
Not my will, but His be done...
I took a deep breath and in he walked.
He was a little warmer than I remember. More confident. He had an ease about him that I didn't remember. But I instantly remember why I liked him. He has a countenance, a demeanor that just puts me at ease. I remember in those few hours leading up to and then after Henry's birth that he was very thorough. He really listened to me.
We instantly dove in. He has no problem with me trying for a VBAC. He let me know of the risks.
"There is a 1% chance, well actually less than that of something going wrong-"
"Right, .07% chance, I've read"
He smiled. I think he was pleased. Pleased that I was informed. That I'd done my research. That I wasn't just someone saying something, but someone who understood what they were inquiring about. It might have annoyed some doctors, and maybe it did him, but his warmth and understanding continued on.
He explained his reasons and the possible conditions in which a c-section would be wise. All the factors that can't be determined until closer to the time of delivery. All of which I agreed with.
I explained to him my "healthy fear" of the things that can go wrong, and that I had no problem deciding to switch to c-section due to issues leading up to delivery or even during delivery if things aren't progressing/succeeding the way we hope.
He kept asking if I had any more questions.
Oh, I had lots.
Questions regarding several scenarios and situations that led up Henry's birth that I wonder/feel like contributed to his decreased heart rate during delivery and ultimately causing our c-section.
And he answered them all. His confidence continuing and my endearment to him growing.
I'm not looking at him as the perfect answer to all my problems. I realize that at the last minute or even weeks before, my heart could change, my body could change, the baby could change and things might still not end up the way I have hoped.
But he's going to let me try. He's going to support me. He's going to do what he knows is best while respecting what I desire. Isn't that what we want in a doctor? Someone that we trust?
With all this being said he very well could not be the doctor that delivers me. If I'm not lucky enough to deliver in the middle of the day on a week day than I get whatever doctor from this medical group who is on call. But after hearing about a handful of these other doctors also allowing and supporting VBAC's, I'm just going to be praying. Praying that the right doctor is there when I go into labor, which ever doctor that might be. I'm going to be praying that I would have peace, regardless of the outcome. And most importantly, I'm going to be praying that regardless of how he/she makes their arrival, that Wheezy will be safe and healthy. And the best part of it all? He is already there. He already knows. He has this all under control. I find so much comfort in knowing that my Savior is already preparing me, preparing Wheezy, preparing my doctor for whatever the outcome might be. Isn't that just awesome?
So while my entire day seemed to be my hurrying from one place to the next; a frenzy of unorganized, unplanned chaos, for that one hour I was calm. I was relieved. And I am so thankful.
Oh, and BTW, Wheezy is the bean's nick name....it's a long story. But Wheezy it is.
and yes, I did in fact right this at 4 in the morning. I do not remember pregnancy insomnia kicking in this early last time. ARG.
9 comments:
so happy for you Lorie! loves loves loves.
Yay, Lor! What an answer to prayer!
Praying that all your hopes and wishes come true, but most of all that lil Wheezy is healthy and strong.
love you, friend!
That made me cry. But, I'm so happy for you to have such peace about all that is to come. Crazy that we have the same due date. Maybe we'll be in the hospital at the same time... you with the perfect doctor for you and me with the perfect one for me. :)
oh man, did this make me CRY! you said it so perfect..
He is already there. He already knows. He has this all under control. I find so much comfort in knowing that my Savior is already preparing me, preparing Wheezy, preparing my doctor for whatever the outcome might be. Isn't that just awesome?
yes, yes He is. :) love you.
I'm so glad you'll be able to pursue VBAC. You're right...God is in control, and He'll be with you every step of the way, no matter what happens!
Lorie I loved reading this. Thanks for sharing with us all. I feel like I want this for you more than anyone. Maybe it's our story, being there to witness your struggles and pain with Henry or just knowing you and your heart. Whatever the outcome, we'll all be there to help support you and help you through the healing. The best way people helped me after was by helping with James. I'll be there with open arms with a hug for you and play dates for Henry and Brooke. We love little Wheezy. We love you.
Lori I wish I could say I know what you are going through, but honestly I just can't. I love your faith and dependancy on God, and I trust that God has full control. Keep your faith in him and everything will happen exactly as it should =) XOXO
praise the Lord!! I'm so, so glad you've come to a place of peace and a bit more certainty with your situation. Like you said, it's awesome that the Lord already knows exactly how this all is going to work out and it is in His hands. You are in His hands. "Wheezy" is in His hands. And I am proud of you for trusting Him and having such a great attitude!
you know I will keep on praying for you and everything that is to come! love and hugs, my dear.
ps. I'm sorry you can't sleep! Boo on insomnia!
first off, i'm totally new to your blog (from another blog) and a complete stranger. i'm so sorry if its weird that i'm commenting. but i'm in the EXACT same boat as you with trying to have a vbac, and it is so refreshing to read your journey- knowing i'm not alone! all i want to do is be able to TRY. that is all. to not be told i HAVE to have a c-section. i finally found a doctor that is fully supportive of my hopes, thanks to the ican network, but i have to drive all the way to orange county to see him. vbacs have been banned by all the hospitals/doctors that i can choose from with our insurance where i live. anyways, thanks for sharing your journey. i'm due in july and freaking out a bit. thanks for reminding me that He really is in control and knows every single thing about that miraculous day. phew!!
karen :-)
Post a Comment