Wednesday, July 14, 2010

a long time coming.

So a long time ago. Like a really long time ago, I was pregnant with my first child and my friends got us our cute vintage high chair at a garage sale. I LOVED it. Like really, really loved it. But I never could really commit to a color to paint it. And then before I knew it, Henry grew out of it. And so there it sat. In it's lonely dusty corner of the garage, in it's same sad shade of white.



Until last week. I got a burst of inspiration. And the nesting bug to redo my entire house that came full force at the end of my pregnancy with Ben has just been festering beneath the surface. So little by little I'm attacking project after project and saving bit by bit for some other BIG projects.

So, a little iced coffee, a really great bright turquoise-y color spray paint....



and wahLA!

(The color has way more turquoise in it then the pictures depict.)



And don't look too closely at my first attempt at a high chair cover. I used an old one as a template. It's a little wonky in places, but then again, I'm a little wonky in places, so I'm good with it.





Scott says it surely is a girly high chair for a family with all BOYS so far. I protested saying just because I have a boy don't mean everything has to be decorated for a boy. What do you all think? Do you pick decor or accent pieces due to the dominate gender in your house?



And thank you Suzanne for helping me figure out what to do with this fun fabric! I'm so excited about my new table runner!

15 comments:

Lisa said...

Ack! Super cute! I don't think it is girly at all. I think it could go either way.

I have to be very careful about the decor around here. My husband is very picky about things being too picky. This is of course because my mother-in-law's house is full of pink and roses and country clutter on every possible surface.

A couple of years ago I redid our bedroom and guest room sets so that they wouldn't actually match, but coordinate because I was tired of every room in the house having way different uncomplimentary colors going on. Now we have a blue beige tourquoise theme of sorts. Anyway, the bedding was sold right next to eachother in Target with two different comforter options and sheet options like they always do. The only real difference is that the guest room sheets have white polka dots and some polka dot ribbon running down the comforter. Stephen is super picky about the polka dot sheet and comforter even though they easily can go on either bed and work in either room. The polka dot sheets can ONLY go in the "girly" craft/guest room though and NOT on our bed because they are too "frou frou" and "girly".

He's pretty ridiculous, but I do love him anyway.

katygirl said...

ummmmmmmm your runner is WAY better than mine! holy cow.

love love love the high chair. I pick things to match my house, not my child. so his stuff is definitely not gender specific, but it matches my living room, that's for sure!

Talia said...

I LOVE IT. It's PERFECT. not too girly, not too anything. just perfect.

I love that you said you're a bit wonky in places. oh how I love you. :)

yay for spray paint and cute fabirc!! :)

carol grams said...

and pink polka dots to boot!!!

Kara Haushalter said...

I happen to live in a boy house....and you know I am girly! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the highchair....I am getting ready to paint a cabinet a very similar color!!! Love the cover and you know I love that fabric...heck I have sold yards and yards of it! LOL!

Just because you are surrounded by boys doesn't mean you live in a man-cave....they must learn somehow that someday they will be living with a wife/ girl/ pretty things! It simply challenges them to use the left side of their brain...or is it the right...oh whatever..they will be well-balanced!

Olive Oyl said...

eeek. It would compliment my kitchen PErFECTLY! I may have to steal it when you aren't looking :) LOVE IT!

Stephanie said...

oh my totally totally awesome all around!!

alyssa said...

I LOVE that Lorie, it looks so awesome! I need to buy some pretty colored spray paint and hop on this bandwagon :) LOVE IT!

molly june. said...

so GOOD! how DO you girls just whip stuff like that out? i don't get it. i have a major itch to redo the girls' room! all of it. to the birds. tim had to calm me down last night & i got mad. WHAT? we don't have the $ to buy some orla wallpaper? & new beds? & a whole new bookshelf? womp. he's such a realist. poop on him. ;)

bandofbrothers said...

ooh the high chair and cover game out so fantastic! LOVE! and I love how you cut the fabric for the high chair cover--the position of the bird to the left is spot on. good call!

and i don't think it's too girly! it's just right. of course I would not do his bedroom in that fabric, but for a piece of furniture in your home, i think it works really well!

haha, my word verification is mancop. is this a sign?

Anonymous said...

it's so cute!! and the pad/cover thing is adorable!!! obviously i don't know high-chair terminalogy... but whenever i have the need to learn, maybe I should just come take yours. :)

.jimaie.marie. said...

HOLY MOLY i love this so much! That is the PERFECT shade of turquoise and it matches so perfectly with the cover you made, it came out so fantastic!
You are awesome, yet again Lori :D

Sara said...

love love love it! fabric = adorable!

Central Coast Think Pink, Julie Camell said...

Love the color! But, of course you know how I am about color - just look at my house! The runner may disappear soon, as I am going to steal it! It's awesome! Where did you find the fabric?

Suzanne said...

Whew! Glad it worked out so nicely and look - the Band of Brothers momma liked it too. Such pressure.

I too am the mom of two boys and our house reflected that when they were home but once they moved on...poor Bill. I do have a very large sail fish hanging in the Ventura living room, but that's a topic for another day. Our homes definitely reflect my personality. If it were up to Bill our homes would still look like the people that lived here before we moved in.