Wednesday, December 15, 2010

a need and a want.

****photog note: why oh why are my pictures so gray?? what is photobucket doing to my lovely edited images??!!!****

It's easy to justify things by saying "it's not a want, it's a need".
We feel less guilty that way.

And I could lie and say it was a need only, because in large part, it was.
But it was also a want. I wanted to get away.

Scott was on a business trip to San Francisco the week before thanksgiving. We had originally talked about me going, but finding over night childcare in the middle of the week is never easy and we resigned ourselves to acknowledging the stage in our life when I could occasionally join him on his rare work trips was over. And I was bummed. Mostly because the last time he had this trip we took Henry and it was a blast. But I had so much work to do. Editing and shooting, shooting and editing. And now I was on my own for four days and was suppose to some how keep my head above water with editing and shooting and feeding/caring for/not ignoring two small children?

All it took was Scott texting me pictures of his hotel room, clearly showing how we could easily fit all of us comfortably and the itch became a rash. And I kept itching. We could totally go. But then we'd have two cars? Can we afford this? Two kids in the city? I can't do that by myself. Drive five hours by myself with two kids? I can't do that. I'm crazy. I can't do that. I have a session on Friday afternoon, with a bestie. I can't cancel on her. She called "I understand. You need to go". I cried. Her understanding, compassion, support broke a well in me. I had a good (ugly) cry. Packed up my car. Shot a mini session. Picked up my kids from my sitter and on the road we were. The boys slept the whole way. I sang. I drank coffee. I was exhilarated. I couldn't believe I was doing it.

I was on trip high. Our hotel was adorable. Breakfast as a family of four was so sweet (although Scott might disagree ;). The boys and I hung out at Union Square Park and watched the giant tree get put up. We went back to the hotel. Ben took a nap. I made sandwiches. We struck out to Golden Gate park. I did something I hadn't done in months. I shot for me. I shot pictures of my boys. For me. To document their stages. But I didn't let it consume me which is a balance I strive for but rarely achieve. We walked and explored. We played with sticks. We blew dandelions. We got all our shoes soaked. I found a laundry mat on my iphone. Bought wafer cookies at a german market and we munched happily in our bare feet and watched judge judy with all the cute little asian ladies while our shoes tumbled dry. We hurried back to have dinner with daddy. Perfection.

The second day was not as great. It was raining. Henry was a mess. Scott was grumpy that his kid was a mess, and that our hotel messed up on valet and we had to wait almost an hour for a car that they never actually called for. We left the city not speaking. In separate cars. In the rain. During rush hour. But God is good. Our hearts were soften. Our hurts mended. We sung jingle bells over and over and over with daddy on our blue tooth loud speaker. We stopped at Chili's for dinner. I talked to my mom for an hour to stay awake.

All in all it was a great trip. And while it was very flawed, very imperfect, it was very much exactly what I wanted. And needed.

Warning: Picture overload about to commence.



First attempt at pictures in front of cute san fran buildings: Fail.









on to the park...





































this self-timer picture is a miracle.







the second, not-so-great-but-still-well-documented day.





the following pictures of Ben make me smile. over and over again.

















pretty darn cute test shot.



family picture for the christmas card: fail.







melt down city.





bird brain.









the pointing finger...I die. I'm loving Ben's stage right now. So so so sweet.



The End.

10 comments:

Lindsey Woodland said...

The pictures of Ben in the brown hat....ahhhh cuteness overload!

autumn said...

ben kills me. Nolie walks around pointing at everything, I love it so much. I adore this stage and can't even fathom it getting any better!

Where is your adorable headband (head cover? scarf for your head?) from? And the boys stripey hats! Did you make those? So cute.

Way to be brave and GO!

Sally said...

what an awesome trip! LOVE all the pics, esp the one of you looking over henry's shoulder.

Barbie said...

Ah, Lor, I've been thinking about you lately. Glad you were able to get away and enjoy your family {and a 4 hour drive with sleeping children...a miracle in itself!}. Miss you.

molly june. said...

this is so great. i can't believe you drove 4 hours ALONE! ALONE?! what? that is INSANE. i just love spontaneous insane people. i love that you drove there to see your man. it's like a love story. in san fran. with a few cute boys in cute hats added in. i think they should make a movie about you & your boys. i'd buy it! :)

Kara Haushalter said...

OK, where do I start??

#1 - Your headband adorable!
#2 - That is our favorite park to visit!
#3 - Those Hats!!! Did you make them...please share if you did!
#4 - Ben should NOT be walking already!!! Seriously!?
#5 - Your boys are adorable!

bandofbrothers said...

beautiful photos! they are simply lovely!

David Anderson said...

Yea get rid of photobucket, it's horrible for hosting photos. It never gave them any justice and after ours of editing, it's like what's the point. See if you can squeeze into Dad's suit case :)

katygirl said...

thank you for showing me how to wear that half beanie thing. michele just bought me the CUTEST mustard one and i have been a nervous wreck trying to figure it out.

*CPA* Su said...

The self-timer pic of you 3 in the park is completely precious! So glad you had a fun time! :)