Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Today.

Clean swept floors.
Vacuum marks on the floor.
Laundry for once not piled on the back of the couch, but snugly put in it's place.
The hum of the washing machine.
The drone of the dish washer.
Success in so many ways.
Failure in many more.
I know I am not alone in the struggle to accomplish much while still investing more.
Building legos only for them to be destroyed within minutes.
Reading torn pages of brand new books.
Cleaning up sandwiches, that while whined for, are left uneaten.
Punishing the quarreling.
Comforting the hurt.
Cleaning the toilet.
And the floor around it.
Again.
Doing my utmost to not loose my mind or my patience.
Failing to keep a reign on my short-fused temper.
I am tired.
I work too much.
Someone please teach me to start saying no.
Forgetting often to pause and offer Thanksgiving for these moments, even the hard ones.
Lying down with the youngest as he cooperatively crawls under his covers and tucks his penguin in next to him.
Burrowing his face into mine, clasping my hand as my other strokes his hair.
"I love you so much Benjamin"
"you so much mommy"
We re-adjust, but still his forehead pushed against my mouth.
Welcoming my kisses, breathing along with my breath.
His tiny little chest slowing.
Deep breaths give way to soothing snoring.
A perfect moment in a day full of flaws.
Forgiveness.
Restoration in these precious moments that I never want to forget.
 My oldest softly driving his cars along his own face.
Quietly playing by himself until sleep overtakes.
Wrapped up with his blanket and pillow and penguin and spiderman sleeping bag.
"mommy will you lay with me?"
Yes. Always Yes.
How is he so long?
How did he get so old?
I stop and breath.
The house quiet.
To sleep?
To work?
Coffee first.
Pandora. Sarah Jaffe Station.
The windows flung wide open, the breeze breathing itself through my house.
My white hydrangeas bobbing against the window.
My heart is full.
Overflow of His goodness.
Thank you Lord, for this day.
And now to work, perchance to dream....

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

We are living almost the same life. What a comfort to read such familiar thoughts and know that we are all just doing our best and feeling all this love and joy. This post was a gift. Thank you.

Marianne Elixir said...

Love this Lorie. Yes, this is all too familiar (though sadly, with out the naps now!). Success amid failures, and finding joy in those little growing faces. Thanks for posting.

JennyMac said...

Thank you for posting Lorie! This brought me to tears. As a new mother of two, I am trying to find a new balance of life that includes cleaning, sibling rivalry, sleep deprivation, and the more love and happiness that know what to do with. It's nice to know that others are going through the same struggles and happiness of life :).

Barbie said...

Love ♥

molly june. said...

beautiful. so, so beautiful.

IndianaJones said...

this made me cry. well said...for all of us.
love you friend.