Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fall Goals

This might have been my worst summer yet. And by worst I mean, I just am so OVER the heat. I've lived in this town for 29 years. 29 years of hot, miserable summers. And this year I just am over it. Over being hot and miserable and miserable and hot and fighting with my husband about running the air conditioning verses opening the windows as night. Tired of figuring out what to fix for dinner when it's so dang hot that the idea of turning on the oven let alone the stove makes me want to stand in front of the freezer in my skivvies and serve ice cream cones. With a side of frozen peas of course.

But yesterday afternoon on our way home from swimming at my moms house, I felt it.

Fall is coming.

It was the little bit of the breeze in the trees. It wasn't that hot. I managed to not run my air today.
(it was miserable there for a couple hours, but I was stubborn and survived. hence the trip to the pool)

But I could feel it.

And I got So. Incredibly. Excited.

Like giddy even.

And that is saying a lot as my fall is jam packed with both work and play.
And so last night while I should have been editing last nights session I was perusing pinterest for fall inspiration.

I love making a good list. So here are some goals of mine for the coming months.
And a few things I'm looking forward to for good measure.

1) Learn to make a GOOD chili.

2) Buy a butternut squash and actually eat it.

     2) b. Try to make butternut squash soup.

           2) c. Don't get mad when you're family doesn't eat it

3) Go to the Fair (My husband is rolling his eyes right now)

4) Revel in wearing jeans. And scarves. And boots. {happy sigh}

5) Go apple picking.

6) Try one new recipe a week. Even on the busy weeks. Especially on the busy weeks.

 7) Go to the gym 3 times a week

8)  Let go. Like really. Let go of the unattainable perfection. Live in the mess. Love in the mess.

9) Go to the pumpkin patch at least twice

10) Do sometimes Big and Unexpected with my family

11) Red. Cups.  Yesssssssssss.

What do you want to do this fall?


9 comments:

Jessica said...

i love lists...so many fall ideas swirling around my head...need to get them on paper so they actually happen.
And...i can't handle the heat. makes me incredibly cranky. move to boise it helps:)

molly june. said...

i like this.

and now, all i can picture is you in your underoos at the freezer.
BAH.

i decided that i would like you to be my neighbor.
and cook me all of your pinterest foods.
i would totally supply the ice cream cones.
and the canned fruit.

that joke never gets old to me.
but really, i miss you already. sigh.

Barbie said...

"Tired of figuring out what to fix for dinner when it's so dang hot that the idea of turning on the oven let alone the stove makes me want to stand in front of the freezer in my skivvies and serve ice cream cones. With a side of frozen peas of course."

LOL LOL LOL

I love you and fall! Oh sweet fall! In reality our winter is more like most people's fall, but lets face it, when I'm talking fall I'm talking anything over 60* and under 80* as the high. Ahh... perfection! I think I'll steal your list...although I've tried the butternut squash soup and even I didn't eat it. ;)

I would like to add a bike ride day to your list. I'll bike over to your house with Juliet and you load up your boys...maybe we can bike to Jenn Murphy's and have a picnic at the park by her house? Plan?!

lorieloo said...

@Barbie YESSSSS PLEASE!!!! though I need to fix my bike first. my boys broke the gears. but I LOVE your plan.

And @molly. I'm glad you miss me already. Cause I already miss you and it's nice to know I'm not the only one. And YES. lets be neighbors. Because you open a mean can of fruit. ;) LOVE.

katygirl said...

let's let go together.

lorieloo said...

amen @katygirl

Olive Oyl said...

i want to blow dry my hair without sweating.

and also, go on our thanksgiving trip.

and also lots of other things that are more fun to do when i do not have a sweaty upper lip.

stacia said...

Make something pumpkin-y. Then send it to me. Scratch that. Bring it to my house and eat it with me. And we will drink merrily out of red cups, snug in our boots while it rains outside. How does that sound?

Bekah said...

Butternut Squash Soup is a favorite of mine, and this recipe is soooo good!
I am so excited for it to be cool enough to make it again :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/butternut-squash-soup-with-fontina-cheese-crostini-recipe/index.html