Friday, December 05, 2008

in search of the tree...



So we had high aspirations to support a local outreach tree lot this year by buying from them. But after closer examination, although it was a good cause, we are just not people that can afford to spend $70 or more on a Christmas tree. And knowing full well that that was the going rate for most tree lots a conversation began. One I swore we'd never have.

We started discussions about a eh-hem a fake tree.

It pains me to even say it. But everyone is trying to do their part to "go green" as well as save green. And so we discussed it.

And to target we went in search of fake Christmas. But of course the ones we want are almost $200, and while we realize that is relatively normal in the fake tree department and that it does pay for itself in 2-3 years, that is just a lot of money to pay up front.







henry had his own opinions about fake trees...



As soon as we walked through the doorway leaving behind the chaotic crowded toy aisles we took a deep breath.

ahhh.....

Here is was. We had found Christmas. The smell reminding me of childhood trees, working my best friends tree lot in high school, and swim practice (long story). And for the (possibly) final time we bought a real tree.





in true bubba fashion, he was afraid of the trees. seriously, my kid is SENSITIVE.


Apparently shopping for the perfect tree is hard work. Henry was asleep by the time we got home.


While we (and when I say we I mean Scott) unloaded the tree, Henry got up close and personal with all the neighbors decorations. I understand a Santa, and a snowman, and sure the lollipops are cute, but a dolphin with a Santa hat? hmm....






Then in grand Cham Fam tradition we had a pizza picnic while watching Christmas Vacation. This might be the last year for that movie though, I'm not sure I want my kid telling people that his "sh***er" is full.



Roxie doing the slow creep from her bed. "Look mom, I'm still in my bed. See? One toe!"


Our tree makes my entire house smell of days gone by. You can't bend the branches this way or that way to make it look more or less full. We had to put lights on it ourselves. And when this season is over it won't go into a box and into the attic.
But maybe next year it will...





10 comments:

Olive Oyl said...

We just got our tree tonight at Target too!!!

And I will continue to by it there I think... The price is so great. And I just can't go fake!!! :( Especially since we don't have a fireplace... Christmas at our house was always the huge fresh tree and the crackling fire... I need one of them! :)

bandofbrothers said...

hIlarious post! cracked me up that your boy is afraid of the tree...and the dolphin with a santa hat??!!! and roxie with her one toe in the bed--too funny!

and i think we are in the same boat with the tree too. we are probably buy a real one this last time and hopefully we can find a fakey on sale after Christmas for next year. though i doubt it. we say that every year and then we don't have the ambition to root through all the rejects:)

Eliza said...

How was I at Target tonight and didn't see either of you? Oh yeah...huge store.

We've never done a real tree in my entire life, but I have to say the savings is worth it! We had my sister's hand me down fake tree for 4 years and only finally bought a better fake tree this year. It's such a money saver when it comes down to it.

Sally said...

Ooh, I LOVE your tree. It's gorgeous, and I can just imagine how good it smells. I just have to ask, were people looking at you funny as you snapped away in Target? =) I'm so glad you did, though, because you got some great pictures!

It's hard to make that transition to fake tree. Hubby pushed me into it about 4 years ago...well, that and the 40% off sale at Lowe's. Now I love our fake tree! There are no needles to vacuum up or water to remember to fill. I do miss the yummy smell, but now I just buy candles.

Alisa Marie said...

well... i grew up hunting trees in the sierra nevadas (weird nor cals i know) and we never let our parents buy a fake tree once we moved to bako and grew up.

but... Tad convinced me last year and i gave in and I bought an after christmas sale. (who can deny a sale, am i right?) so this year i have a fakey. and it doesn't smell as nice.

The Norvells said...

We but the bullet and bought a fake tree last year, but we only shelled out about 80 for it. Not too bad...but I do miss real trees. They are the best. I love how your tree is decorated. Love the garland

*CPA* Su said...

HEHEHE...Henry's afraid of trees?!? =) That's funny! And OHHHH Roxie...that lil' dog of yours is so funny!

Talia said...

your tree is so purty!! Looks like you found the perfect one! OH, those pictures of Henry looking at the decorations... be still my heart.

we have an artificial tree, and while I simply love love love how easy it is, how long it lasts, and how NON-MESSY it is, I do miss that smell of pine. Sometimes I will walk through the tree section when I'm at Target this time of year, just to get my fix. :)

Ashley said...

that photo of him sleeping in the car!!!

im melting!!!!

carol grams said...

buy a fresh wreath and hang it indoors, it helps somewhat!!! still not quite the same...nor the 'non-wood' fire, but love I can burn when we have the stupid 'pc' correct no burn days...weeks...bring on the crackle of a fire...and I bet I can stand if front of it longer than you...grams!